Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm relativley new to the whole OTA thing... I've been operating with it for the last couple of months and so far it's been good to me, but I'm not home during the times that most of the "good stuff" is on (at least the stuff I enjoy) and was wondering what a good PVR/DVR would be for my requirements...

Last night I actually got an nFusion HD box but I realized the pvr functionality on it is junky, so I'm thinking of putting it up for sale and asking you guys what you think...

Here is what I want (without spending too much money)

Needs:
- HD (1080i/720p) recording
- Ongoing ability to schedule the same programs
- Playback ability on the device
- no monthly service fee for guide information (possible internet download?)

Wants:
- Saving to network drive (I have a 2TB server I would like to store the files on)
- Automatic purging of old shows based on age (lets say, always record todays news, and delete yesterdays news, but don't delete the shows that air weekly from yesterday)
- Not a computer solution (if I could avoid it)

Here is what I have to work with:
PS3, Xbox 360, nFusion HD, TVersity, high powered i7 computer (although I don't *want* to use it for that... but might have to if that is the only solution).

I'm located in Toronto, and am getting about 20 HD stations, so far it is great, I just think I could get more functionality with this kind of setup.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would go with a Windows media center machine, personally. I've been running one for ages, and love it. Even though I have a Rogers PVR, I use an HDPVR to connect to Media Center. I have an OTA antenna and tuner that connect to the PC, as well. I love it. Unfortunately, I only get 11 channels due to condo blockage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there any "packaged" ones? Or what are some specs I should be looking at...? I have some old parts, core2duo 2.13ghz with 8GB memory... Would that be good enough do you think?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I should think that would be great. What is your home server? Without knowing the details, I would think you could connect an OTA hd tuner to that, and depending on the OS, set up a media center (WIndows is just one that's out there), and off you go. I find the program guide in WIndows Media Center is great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The home server is an i7 870, but it's located a little far from the whole antenna setup, plus I don't really want to run it on there, I would just use it for saving files (if I have to).

I was doing some research, maybe I'll do the same thing you're doing, any recommendations on a video card, tuner card and IR ports?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
This stuff is all covered in many existing threads in our HTPC forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.