Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for *C subscribers who are interested in the DVR530 and want to ask questions about it.

It replaces the original DVR530 discussion thread

Owners wishing to discuss usage of the DVR530 please refer to the Owners thread.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
Need real dimensions of 530

Hi,

Can someone do me a favor?
Can you please measure the unit and give me the details?

I am more particularly interested in finding out the depth of the receiver, and also how much space its required for the cables to plug into the receiver?

I am afraid my entertainment center is not deep enough for it.
It is not for the 401. :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would add a couple of inches to the depth if you plan on using dvi connection. You can always cut a slot in you wall unit to give you more room for the plugs, if you don't make your cut to high you will not see it from the front.

erocks4u

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
The same questions come up on this unit in several threads, many times. Can't someone create a "summary post" for people to look at, so that they can find the answers to questions like:

- What's this unit look like
- What size is it
- Operating manual link
- What are the USB...
- How large is the HDD
- Etc. Etc.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
erocks4u said:
I would add a couple of inches to the depth if you plan on using dvi connection. You can always cut a slot in you wall unit to give you more room for the plugs, if you don't make your cut to high you will not see it from the front.

erocks4u
I will have to cut the back to make room for the cables. :)
The wife is not very happy with the idea, but hey I am the man, and what man says... it doesnt matter! :)

D

·
0 Posts
For those looking to buy the DVR530, it's also helps to consider it in the greater context of the provider behind it as well.

Hugh has graciously provided a thread for those circumstances.

In addition to all the excellent info there, this post within that thread may provide more relevant HD DVR information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have information on a splitter for the DVR 530? To run another cable would be a monumental task, there has to be a shortcut.

D

·
0 Posts
YOU absolutely cannot use a splitter.

You MUST use a multiswitch.

You need two 'COMPLETE' independent feeds from your dish/lnb.

Read up on the multiswitch thread

Splitter are NOT a supported configuration and SC will NOT provide assistance for that type of installation.

Take advantage of the $99 "whatever you need to get your 530 going properly" deal.

It is money well spent.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Only tuner 2 does recording and only tuner 1 does playback so it's useless as a DVR with only one feed.

D

·
0 Posts
yohamma said:
1 more question.
Will the 530 work with 1 feed to it?
I DO NOT intend to watch one show & record another.
For what you want to do, you'll need to switch the coax from 1 to 2 then when you go from watch to record.

It WILL work, but you'll miss a LOT of the functionality.

IF you have a STACKED LNB AND you either ONLY watch the HD/Ethnic OR ONLY the SD ENGLISH, you can split the line to both tuners.

Not a supported configuration - use at your own risk.

Basically, you choose 1 satellite only, F1 or F2 and because a stacked LNB has ALL the signals without voltage switching, the 2 tuner inputs will not fight over who has 13v and who has 18v to select the correct polarity, you can then use a 2GHZ (Not cable) splitter to feed both inputs and THEN you may watch and record concurrently.

Alternately, find a blowout special on a DSR500 and with the money you pocket, buy one of those standalone DVD/Hard Drive recording appliances.

·
Registered
573 Posts
One thing that I thought was strange with the 2 lines going into the 530 was the fact that the signal strength varied from line 1 and 2. I was getting 80 on one, and 73 on the other. Sometimes line 1 would give me 65 and line 2 would give me 60. Line 2 was always weaker. I switched the cables on the back of the 530 and the opposite happened. Line 1 was weaker and line 2 was stronger. How come one would be stronger or weaker than the other when both lines are coming from the same dish? Is this normal to go down as low as 60 signal strength?

·
Registered
175 Posts
It is normal for you to get different signal strength from different transponders and of coarse different transponders on different satellites..

If you tune to channel 291 and start recording it and then start watching channel 299...then tuner 2 is getting its signal strength from F2 channel 291 (whatever transponder that channel is on) and tuner 1 is getting its signal strength from F1 channel 299 (whatever transponder that channel is on)...

If you start recording a channel and then start watching another channel that is on the same satellite/transponder then the signal strength/Ebno will be the same (assuming that the cables from the dish are of the same quality and length)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oh yeah. I forgot that the dish goes after two separate satellites in the sky. This would be why I noticed the difference in the signal strength between the two.

·
Banned
724 Posts
No Dual Tuner Recording = No dice

I would record on both tuners from 8:00pm to 1:00am Sunday trough Friday 95% of the time... this renders this pvr ABSOLUTELY USELLESS as while i am recording i cannot watch... What am i supposed to do watch 30 hours of recorded TV on Saturday ? This settles it for me.
Bell Expressvu 9200 here i come. I am not waiting for Starchoice to add features that will most likely NEVER COME. They where 3 years late on this HDPVR in the first place... you expect me to believe it will get better?
When pigs fly.

·
Banned
529 Posts
unreal1080p,

That is what timeshifting is for. If you need to record two programs at once either a) you watch way too much TV ;) or b) record one show on it's alternate feed.

If this is not to your liking, enjoy Bells "soft and getting softer HD PQ"..... remember they announced early this year they were out of bandwidth, yet they continue to add and announce the addition of more HD channels..... so ask yourslef where are they getting the bandwidth?

Answer: they are further compressing what they already have to make way for more.

Starchoice gets it's programming from Cancom who also feed numerous cable services, therefore, they cannot simply start compressing channels to degrade quality; that would piss off all their clients not just Starchoice..... ExpressVU only feeds their clients and therefore can do to you as they please.

Just keep all of this in mind.

Crispy

·
Banned
724 Posts
Recording Habits

Crispy said:
unreal1080p,

That is what timeshifting is for. If you need to record two programs at once either a) you watch way too much TV ;) or b) record one show on it's alternate feed.

If this is not to your liking, enjoy Bells "soft and getting softer HD PQ"..... remember they announced early this year they were out of bandwidth, yet they continue to add and announce the addition of more HD channels..... so ask yourslef where are they getting the bandwidth?

Answer: they are further compressing what they already have to make way for more.

Starchoice gets it's programming from Cancom who also feed numerous cable services, therefore, they cannot simply start compressing channels to degrade quality; that would piss off all their clients not just Starchoice..... ExpressVU only feeds their clients and therefore can do to you as they please.

Just keep all of this in mind.

Crispy
Yes :D I watch way too much TV so what's it to ya ;)

Here is an example where even the 9200 would be insufficient:

Next Fall Monday Nights 9:00PM

NBC: Las Vegas HD
FOX: Prison Break HD
ABC: NFL Monday Night Football HD
CBS: Two and a half men HD
TSN: WWE Raw(repeats at 3:30am on Tuesdays thank god)
WB: Just Legal HD (new series by Jerry Bruckheimer with Don Johnson and Jay Baruchel)

Next Fall Thursday Nights at 8:00PM

NBC: Joey HD
ABC: Alias HD
FOX: The O.C. HD
WB: Smallville HD
CBS: Survivor (probably not HD = download torrent)
UPN: Everybody Hates Chris HD (new series Narrated
by Chris Rock about his life as a 10 year old boy growing up in da hood). Since neither Starchoice or Bell have a UPN HD feed = download torrent.

As you can see, in these 2 examples, even the 9200 is insufficient... How can you then expect me to deal with the 530...

As for the bitrate issue, i believe Bell has the means to increase there bandwith and most likely will since they are aiming at 40+ HD channels... Starchoice on the other hand i dont believe has the means to do this.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts