Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My QWERTY keyboard is getting old and cranky. I am in the market for a new keyboard. Have any of you folks had any experience with a DVORAK keyboard?

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Unless you never touch a different keyboard again, it's not worth learning the Dvorak layout. Switching back and forth between the two would be completely counter-intuitive and you'd never be as fast at either as you are currently with the QWERTY layout.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Back when I was younger, I tried the DVORAK keyboard - you'll never get the hang of it once you know how to type efficiently on a QWERTY keyboard. My brain couldn't convert!

I get frustrated even with universal Canadian QWERTY keyboards - I am so use to the U.S. layout, I can't switch back for the various keys that are in different positions. Canada should just have an English QWERTY keyboard that is the same as the U.S., and a French Canadian one where some of the keys are moved. I remember in the 80's switching from a Commodore 64 with a UK/European keyboard layout (mostly for punctuation and symbols) to an IBM keyboard layout - that was frustrating, but now I'm stuck and can't switch again...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I tried the dvorak keyboard layout years ago. I did get used to it but it your are using different devices you had to either toggle it or switch your mind set. It's not worth the bother.

·
Super Moderator
56,421 Posts
I had a difficult enough time with Azerty keyboards years ago when I had to travel to Belgium where one of our technical offices was and they all used Azerty. I'm a touch typist and I don't even know where the letters are on my Qwerty, but my fingers do. ;)

I hate using keyboards on phones or tablets - too small and I don't know where the keys are. I guess it comes down to what you're used to. I see lots of young people typing on phones very quickly with their thumbs, but thumbs are not designed for that and they will end up with RSI (Repetitive Strain Injuries), along with poor eyesight, sore necks, or death from being distracted.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe Too Much of a Change

I considered my poor brain changing from my satisfactory skill with a split-keyboard MS 4000 QWERTY. When my wife wanted a laptop, we shopped and could only find bilingual keyboard laptops. She bought an HP laptop with an English-only keyboard while vacationing in the USA. We declared it coming back to Canada. Don't regret it.

BTW, the English-only MS 4000 is still being sold in Canada.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
The keys on most keyboards are removable so it should be possible to convert a used or really cheap QWERTY keyboard to a fairly close DVORAK layout for testing. Then you will need to learn how to type again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts