Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am having a small issue that I hope someone can assist me with.

My computer has a GeForce GTS 240 Video Card which has dual outputs, both DVI. The first connection, I have a 12 ft DVI-HDMI to my TV, which works great.

The other DVI out consists of a 10ft DVI-VGA, then a 25ft VGA extension to a regular computer monitor. When I put this run all together the signal is degraded and poor quality. If I plug in the 10ft DVI-VGA on its own it works great. Note: the 25ft VGA extension is inexpensive.

My question is; do I have a bad/poor 25ft VGA extension? Will a high quality VGA extension cable fix this? Or is this distance to great to run a video signal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
35' is not that far to send a RGBHV signal, I do mobile video installs, and I regularly run VGA @ 100' or even 150'. I use good quality cables that i've spent a small fortune on. If your cable is crappy that is probably the problem, but keep in mind, VGA usually will not look as good as a digital signal, like your DVI-HDMI. Analogue signals suffer from signal loss over distance, and poor cable insulation, combine that with the extra connection you have in there, and it sounds like you've added up a bad mix.

·
Registered
846 Posts
An analog VGA signal will degrade over distance, but especially so on a poor cable. The DVI output on the computer is using the analog pins of the DVI connector to output the signal, so there is no part of that run that is digital. Use a single good quality VGA cable from a DVI-VGA adaptor on the computer to the display, with good size low loss conductors and appropriate shielding. 35 feet is not far at all.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The other DVI out consists of a 10ft DVI-VGA, then a 25ft VGA extension to a regular computer monitor.
At that distance, I would use a good quality 35' cable over two cables. It should not cost a "small fortune" either. A decent 35' VGA cable should cost no more than $25, including shipping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts