Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 165 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Apilon,

The Hitachi DVI (DVI-D) cannot get a handshake with the SA8010HD or the SA8300HD (via HDMI/DVI) cable. It is one of several HDTV makes with DVI input which cannot make the handshake with the SA DVRs.

At this point, the Videotron engineers have tried everything with me, using instructions from Scientific Atlanta. My SA8010HD was even downloaded with a temporary program to capture data while the connection was being attempted. Some 5 other clients participated in the same test as well.

The fault is not with your DVI-D cable. If you make the connection again, you may press "Guide" or "Settings" or access the diagnostic pages or even press "PIP" and in all instances you get data from the STB/DVR. What you are not getting is broadcast Video and sound because the HDCP card in your TV is version 1.0 and it cannot get a handshake with the SA's version 1.1. It could work with the SA3250HD or even a Motorola DVR but not with your present one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mfabien Thanks for the info

now i weill stop trying to figure out a way to make it work. I was one of the 5 participant in that test. funny thing is that it work during that test for some reason but they then updated something in the box and it stopped working

oh well ....will wait until i decide to buy a new tv

·
Registered
87 Posts
MFABIEN

I received a call from a Hitachi tchnician yesterday night named Kevin ,

He confirmed that DCHP is 1.0 but that it is backward compatible with 1.1 so therefore it should be abe to receive the signal from the sa8000HD .. So why is Videotron unable to get it to work is a mystery according to him and suggested that i contact Scientific Atlanta directly. I went to their website but the redirect you to your cable provider for technical support.

funny thing is that when this tech from videotron called for tat test in which they loaded up a program to record data the dvi worked until they decided to upgrade the terminal with a new version of the operating system then when it rebooted the signal disappeared

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
apilon said:
MFABIEN

I received a call from a Hitachi tchnician yesterday night named Kevin ,

He confirmed that DCHP is 1.0 but that it is backward compatible with 1.1 so therefore it should be abe to receive the signal from the sa8000HD .. So why is Videotron unable to get it to work is a mystery according to him and suggested that i contact Scientific Atlanta directly. I went to their website but the redirect you to your cable provider for technical support.

funny thing is that when this tech from videotron called for tat test in which they loaded up a program to record data the dvi worked until they decided to upgrade the terminal with a new version of the operating system then when it rebooted the signal disappeared
Following is a copy of an e-mail received last year from Digital Content Protection LLC, the people reponsible for HDCP:

Thank you for your email. Please read the response we received from our technical contact below.

The Rev. 1.1 Spec was an update to fix errata in the 1.0 Spec which could cause compatibility problems between even 1.0 and 1.0 products. Furthermore, interoperability testing was in its infancy so even if 1.0 products interoperated in a particular instance, there is no guarantee that either of them were compliant to the spec. They may have both made the same but incorrect interpretation of the spec. Release 1.1 clarified much but there have been further errata in 1.1 that have been identified and published. The short answer to your question is yes, it is possible that you are seeing a 1.0 and 1.1 interoperability problem.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.
After the test, which necessitated temporary operating system software, what you had before that download was sent once again to your STB/DVR. If you had a temporary handshake with the test system it was insufficient. I trust you had advised Videotron accordingly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yep i did and they basically told me that they have exhausted all resources and i either need to upgrade my TV or stck with component ..

i chose the second option for now

161 - 165 of 165 Posts