Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
dynot said:
Dumb questions....how will we know its been done and will we have to do anything to the settings (like re-run the setup)?
EDIT: Correction

As in the case of "PassThrough" which gets replaced by "DVI/HDMI Auto Fix" when the DVI connection is in place, the "Protection" recognition for line DVI/HDMI will be displayed, I believe, only when the DVI connection enables a handshake of HDCP between the terminal and the TV.

If you get SARA version 1.87.16.a2 and the DVI provides terminal info but no TV images, then your TV's HDCP and the terminal's version for HDCP activation are not compatible and you need to advise Videotron so they can download a newer and more stable version to fix the handshake problem.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Called their tech service 2 weeks ago and asked for an update to activate the DVI port. Guy says that I will be receiving the beta version the same day.

As of today still no update so I called again. This time I get a girl who seems clueless on what I'm talking about. (How DO these people get this job in the first place?) She checks with her supervisor and then tells me that the update is currently unavailable but will be sometime in the future. No ifs, ands, or buts about it; end of discussion.

I suspect Videotron will never upgrade the SARA to activate the DVI on the 8000HD since it will be of no benefit to them. If you think about it, cost-benefit wise it won't make sense for them because they already made their profit from 8000HD owners. Renters, assuming they're even aware of this issue, will be forced to buy the 8300HD which is what Videotron wants. I fall into the latter category and will wait till my rental period ends before I purchase the 8300.

Spending so much time testing the new software is a costly task for little benefit due probably to the miniscule demand. Frustrating for those of us waiting for it but you can't really blame them I guess when you look at it from Videotron's financial perspective.

·
Registered
100 Posts
SA8010 software

Yesterday, I called Videotron in order to get the software that would enable the DVI port. The tech told me that it had been available since last Monday. He sent me the update and told me I was all set.

I hang up the phone and tried it, niet, he had sent me the same old software SARA 1.83. I called back and waited 15 minutes on the phone before they answered. The guy I spoke to called a level two tech who told him that there was no new software for my box which happens to be a 8010HD. I told him that this was BS since the previous tech I had talked to told me the new software had been available since last Monday, so he called another level 2 tech who told him that nothing was available.

I would find it bizare that there would be any 8000HD out there since I got the very first unit delivered to a customer by Videotron and my unit is a 8010HD.

MFabien, you tell us that you have received the SARA 1.87 a while ago, do you own a 8000HD or a 8010HD ?

This is getting confusing !

Thanx

Pierre

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
dynot,

To see what SARA version you have, press the "Select" button at the unit (not the remote) and maintain pressure until the Mail LED starts blinking then press the "Info" button.

Once in the diagnostic pages, use page down on the remote and go to page 17. Once done, press the "Exit" button below the "Page" button.

PierreP,

I have a SA8010HD. We are only 20 with the 1.87.16.a2 SARA version and 20% of us have this problem of HDCP handshake (which happens with certain makes and models of HDTV's). The testing of the more stable version is being conducted by the engineering dept., and, this in a building away from technical support (so most CSR are not aware). I will have advance notice of it's download to my unit and that is now expected to be by the end of the month or early August.

I expect the corrective version will also correct the FF and Rewind functions which presently under PassThrough or Upconvert1 gets confused about the resolution and attempts to change it. Never had that problem before my present version and when Videotron talks about a "more stable" version, I would suggest that this is one of the functions being addressed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the info MFabien.

dynot, I read in some other post that 8010HD have 27 meg of memory and are runing on a 110mhz bus, I think that on page 1 of the diagnostic mode you will see those numbers at the top right corner CPU/BUS 164/110, also on the left under Memory there is something like : total Heap : 269xxxxx which indicate a total size of 27 Meg of memory.

Pierre

·
Registered
333 Posts
MFabian, I knew how to get the SARA version but didn't know how to get the model number of the unit itself since I believe both models are branded 8000HD.

Pierrep, it looks like I do have the 8010 based on what you say.

Thanks to you both for your help...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any recent news from Videotron on this ? My last answer from Technical Service was the end of July, but I have seen mid-August in other posts. This is such a looooooong wait !

Paul.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
pbir said:
Any recent news from Videotron on this ? My last answer from Technical Service was the end of July, but I have seen mid-August in other posts. This is such a looooooong wait !

Paul.
See post # 46

·
Registered
45 Posts
Spoke to technical customer service. She spoke to her manager to get an answer for me as I explained that I have had this unit for well over a year and am tired of the excuses. Anyway when she came back to the phone she said it's coming "very soon". (pause) I think I'm pretty tired of that answer. It only been 16 months. At least she acknowledged that some customers are on beta and that it really is imminent. Right.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 8010HD was updated at some point during the weekend. I now have release 1.87.16.a2. Finally, after more than one year waiting I now have the Pass-Through mode. No more manual switching between 480i and 1080i. :)

On the DVI side, yes, the port is now active!! However I'm getting, as expected with my Toshiba, "This HDTV doesn't support HDCP"...

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
STX,

Welcome to the club!

My contact at Videotron is not responsive this week...vacations? Unresolved DVI issue even with an updated version? Time will tell.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wonder if this HDCP problem is now specific to the 8010HD. Is there any 8300HD having HDCP working with a Toshiba?

By the way, I also noticed PQ of SD channels to be a little bit improved. However the "Jail bars" effect with 480P is still there. That's why I keep using 480I.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
STX,

The HDCP problem is specific to the SA8010HD when the DVI is connected to specific makes and models of HDTV. There is no problem with the SA8300HD's HDMI with any kind of HDTV.

The Scientific Atlanta's Explorer Club says this, concerning the DVI with the SA8000HD:

Q: When will the DVI port on my Explorer 8000HD be activated?
A: The software which activates the DVI port with HDCP is complete and has been made available to cable operators. Please contact your cable operator for availability in your area.

This morning I got an answer back from my CSR contact at Videotron. From the looks of it, he is getting a "don't bother us" kind of response from the engineering dept.

In light of Scientific Atlanta's statement that their work is complete with the DVI/HDCP activating software version, the time has come for all owners and renters of the SA8010HD DVR to contact the Videotron tech. support and put the pressure. This can be done by phone, by e-mail or by Chat with tech. support. In 80% of cases an HDTV's HDCP will interface via DVI with the HDCP of SARA version 1.87.16.a2. In 20% of cases (including my case) the new corrective software is required. So, specify the make and model HDTV you are using and get the appropriate software. The excuse that engineers need to test this is, in my opinion, a bunch of hogwash. I have 1.87.16.a2 since April 28 and HDCP works for most cases. Videotron has the corrective software version since at least July 8th, as confirmed to me by e-mail, and I fail to see what their engineering staff has done or will one day do (can do) that Scientific Atlanta hasn't done.

I would find it extraordinary for Videotron engineers to correct an HDCP handshake problem with my Toshiba and other makes of HDTV if in fact SA has not been able to do it with the corrective software version. Do these engineers even have a Toshiba HDTV with a DVI input to start with???

·
Registered
121 Posts
mfabien, before I contact Videotron, what is the July 8th update supposed to fix exactly? From your Email I understand it fixes a generic HDCP problem but doesn't fix the issue with Toshiba HDTV, right?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The only issue with my Toshiba is the inability of the SARA version 1.87.16.a2 to get a handshake with the Toshiba's HDCP via DVI. Otherwise, the DVI is active and I have access to all of the internal data of the DVR (IPG, Settings, etc.).

The above problem is not limited to Toshiba HDTV with a DVI Input, there are other HDTV's with which the SARA version has the same problem. I don't know which other HDTV makes and models are concerned.

The corrective software from Scientific Atlanta is designed to make HDCP interactive with such HDTV's. The word mentioned by the Videotron CSR about this corrective software was that it is more "stable".

41 - 60 of 165 Posts