Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anywhere else in Canada besides DVDBoxoffice that sells them? Most of my movies so far consist of recordings from HBOHD etc, but I'd like to get a few Dtheater movies as well.

Marc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like JohnnyG can no longer get them. Any other current sources?

bestprices.com has , like they say, the best prices, but they won't ship to Canada :(

Marc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a Future Shop locally, but there;s one about 1 1/2 hours away I may check out.

Any DVHS'ers have any movies they want to sell or trade?

Marc.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
D-Theater tapes

There isn't much choice in Canada.

DVDBoxoffice seems to have the best selection. The prices aren't anything like BestPrices.com (which only ships to the US). And many titles aren't currently available.

Videoflicks.ca started to carry DTheater early on, and seems to have stopped getting new titles.

Amazon.ca had titles listed early on, but I don't see them now.

Future Shop launched the sales of the JVC deck in Canada, so they had tapes early on. Last I looked they hadn't kept up with new titles either.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
More likely HDDVRs. Many think there's no future in tape, despite it's "superior PQ". Beta lost to VHS. Tape will lose to DVD or HDDVD or HDDVR. It will be a "niche" like DAT. There's a thread or two on this forum where this was debated

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
57 said:
More likely HDDVRs. Many think there's no future in tape, despite it's "superior PQ". Beta lost to VHS. Tape will lose to DVD or HDDVD or HDDVR. It will be a "niche" like DAT. There's a thread or two on this forum where this was debated
But there is no HD-DVD yet. And you have to wonder how successful it will be if people are so willing to wait for it.

The difference in quality between VHS and Beta was significant but not huge. The difference between DTheater and DVD is **HUGE**.

I agree the D-Theater will disappear when an equivalent (hopefully superior) HD-DVD format comes available. But, there is no evidence to show that HD-DVD will become anything but a premium niche format too.

Gary

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did a search of the entire Future Shop website and came up with only two hits for D-vhs, and D-theater, every variation I could think of, both blank tapes from JVC. Is there some trick to finding the D-Theater tapes ? They don't seem to be available from Canada except at videoflicks, which charges roiughly an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
gn2

Try www.dvdboxoffice.com

On the home page click on "BROWSE-Product Categories"" and then click on "D-VHS" and you get a list of 27 titles ranging in price from $46 to $66. Most of them are priced from $46-$50.

I got a few from them but they didn't appear to have any in stock and thus had to wait a couple of extra weeks for the order to ship.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok, I've put an order in with them, not very good prices, compared to the US but better than Videoflicks. We'll see how long it takes to arrive. Hopefully my deck will get here first! Thanks for the link !!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Got my refurb JVC D-VHS deck yesterday! It's in mint condition and I'm certainly pleased about that. Can't complain about the $505 price tag either!

Now what the heck do I do with it? :)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Well, I can verify that my 4 year old D-VHS recordings (on S-VHS tapes) are still in great shape! They don't seem to have deteriorated at all.

I see there's a notice in the documentation not to use S-VHS tapes for D-VHS recordings - "S-VHS tapes may cause block noise". Back in the days of the Panasonic PV-HD1000, most people were using S-VHS tapes without problems, so I don't think the warning has much credibility. Since I've got a whole mess of Panasonic S-VHS tapes here, that's what I'll be using.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
JohnnyG said:
Got my refurb JVC D-VHS deck yesterday! It's in mint condition and I'm certainly pleased about that. Can't complain about the $505 price tag either!

Now what the heck do I do with it? :)
wow.... is this the deck with firewire and all then good deal? If it is you could hook it up to that nice samsung tuner you just bought for the store and see if you can record shows off of it. Or get some D-Theater movies (if the deck will read em) and play 'em in the store. 8)

BTW, where did you get the refurb deck?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.