Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the DVG-1120 in front of my router (USR 5462 - 802.11G 54Mbps). I can use Bit Torrent, but I can't connect to the tracker like I used to be able to. I think it's because of the DVG-1120. Anyone know how to set up the DVG-1120 to forward the ports correctly?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just thought of something.....

I have Shaw High Speed so it gives me 2 dynamic IP addresses. Would this config work?

Cable modem to a hub, and then the hub goes out to the gateway router for my phone service, and then have another one that comes out of the hub into my USR router, and then to my computer.

Theoretically I think it should work, and all my P2P stuff should work. A hub is just a hub. There is no port forwarding, ip address management etc with a hub....it's just like a splitter.

Thoughts anyone?

Steve

·
Registered
505 Posts
There is some info here regarding P2P use and the D-Link gateway. This link discusses using a hub or switch. There is plenty of useful info in the User FAQ regarding different setups.

Port forwarding is also discussed in the FAQ.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! You rock man. I can't wait to get home and try this all out.

On that note, Primus has been awesome so far. A few disconnections, but it doesn't go down for long.

Steve

·
Registered
505 Posts
Definitely check the MyTBB Portal forums whenever possible. Much of the TBB information that has been requested on the DHC site is readily available in the Primus forum. In fact, 99% of the user discussion that is happening on the web goes on in that forum.

You can login to the Primus Portal here.

Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm also trying to expand my knowledge in this area.
Since I've moved into my new house, I've purchased a spiffy new computer with the rogers high speed extreme and am using Primus Talkbroadband (no Bell for me).

Now that I'm relativly settled in, I'd like to start fiddling around with Bit Torrent and maybe try downloading an episode of Lost. (I've been toying with Azerus) and keep getting NAT errors. I can't tell if the problem is with Rogers blocking the port (i've tried changing a number of times), or if I need to forward the port. If I'm not using a router and my computer internet connection is behind the gateway, would/could I still forward the port or tinker with the gateway settings?

I'll do some looking up myself, but if anyone has any tips, it'd be much appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got mine to work by doing this:

Modem to Switch. Switch to VOIP Gateway which is then connected to phone. Switch to router which is then connected to my computer. Configured router to Port Forward for BT. Everything works fine now.

I'm with Shaw Cable for Internet, and they provide to IP addresses so this works well for me. I don't have to tinker at all with the Gateway since no computer data should be going through there :)

Steve

·
Registered
505 Posts
wanton007 said:
I got mine to work by doing this:

Modem to Switch. Switch to VOIP Gateway which is then connected to phone. Switch to router which is then connected to my computer. Configured router to Port Forward for BT. Everything works fine now.
Since BT tends to hose a connection, it's possible that you'll still find you have intermittent QoS issues with your setup. However, the two IP addresses and a switch should mostly mitigate any "damage" that BT might do to your VoIP quality.

Keep us informed as to how it's going.

Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can I ask if the current setup I have is with the computer connection behind the gateway, does that imply somewhat of a router setup? (in terms of needing a port forward?)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I did some tinkering around this morning and disconnected my gateway and hooked up the computer directly to the modem and voilla, green health status. So now I know that the gateway affects the NAT status.

The question for me now is whether I can forward the port with only the gateway, or will I now need to purchase a router/switch/hub to be able to use torrent software.

hmmmmm

·
Registered
505 Posts
Huskylord said:
The question for me now is whether I can forward the port with only the gateway, or will I now need to purchase a router/switch/hub to be able to use torrent software.
The FAQ covers port forwarding.

I don't know enough about BT to know if one absolutely must forward ports (e.g. I use Limewire and it seems to work better with ports forwarded, but it's not absolutely necessary). The DVG-1120 limits you to forwarding 6 ports, so that sucks as well. If you are using P2P applications I would recommend getting a router or switch. The D-Link is just not robust enough to handle heavy P2P usage.

If you do choose to use BT you will almost certainly find your call quality affected during its use.

Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tips.
I'm thinking of getting a router/switch (if anything just to move some of the equipment strangling my computer room right now, wife not happy!!! :) ).

But money is a bit of an issue and knowing myself, I've got my eye on the Belkin Pre N router, but my eyes are bigger than my wallet)

I'll just try to make due with what I have now.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bridging with DVG causes no dialtone

Hey,

I'm a new poster to DHC, though I've been reading for a long time.

I just got my Primus TBB set up. Cable -> DVG -> D-Link DI-624 -> two computers. In the past, I've used bittorrent and similar P2P apps. I read about bridging over the DVG, making use of my second IP address. When I set up bridging, I was able to access the 'net, download, use the uPnP on my router, the router had a proper Shaw IP address etc.

But ... it seemed to make the DVG really unhappy. The status / warning light on the front was red the whole time and I was unable to get dialtone. Any ideas?

Jesse

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have the Shaw to DVG-1120 to DI 614+ router i m not able to forward 6881 port can some one plz tell me how i can forward the port

plz help me for this problem

Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
jmartyn said:
But ... it seemed to make the DVG really unhappy. The status / warning light on the front was red the whole time and I was unable to get dialtone. Any ideas?
There are a number of troubleshooting tips for your problem in the FAQ. Unfortunately, it's a bit tough to offer specific advice since there are so many possible causes for your problem.

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to port forward with the TB gateway in front of a router

Ok. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
If this is your setup

ISP==>DVG-1120==>Router==>home network

To setup port forwarding to a computer, you need to setup port forwarding from the DVG-1120 to your Router, then from your router to your computer. So you really need to think of the broadband gateway as a router with its own network.

You probably all know how, but just incase. You can find out exactly how to port forward here.
http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

So you need to log into the DVG-1120, and port forward to your router.
For me, the gateway has ip:192.168.15.1 (Primus voip)
I logged into the router, and set a static ip (WAN) of 192.168.15.2 and forward the ports to this ip address (not to your computer)

Then, log into the router, and setup port forwarding from the router to your computer as normal, and all should work well.

Alternative: Everyone who has written about using a hub before your router and gateway knows what they're talking about.

2nd Alternative, if you don't have the extra hub: There doesn't seem to be any documentation about this and I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it won't work. You should be able to setup the gateway behind your router. You must then setup port forwarding for VOIP to work correctly.

port 2427 - 2427 udp/tcp
port 16384 - 32767 udp only

·
Registered
2 Posts
I seem to be having a problem with the configuration of my DVG-1120 and my D-Link DI-524 router. My configuration is:
DSL Modem=>WAN (DVG)
Ethernet(DVG) =>port 2 (524)
Port 1(524) =>PC

I had followed instructions in Primus set up manual and had originally connected PC to WAN on router, however I couldn't get the internet on my main PC(also I could only access my routers IP and not the DVG IP) A tech told me to use port 1 on the router.I thought all was well as I had both phone and internet. I even port forwarded to get my P2P to work. I was also told by Primus tech to set up a DMZ on the router which I did but I had to unplug the DVG to do it. However, with this configuration, the other PC on my home network cant get on the internet. I have tried to follow the instructions but am really stumped on how to get everything running properly. I have considered upgrading to another router preferably one with enhanced VoIP capability but I dont really know if it is the router or my configuration that is wrong. Ideas anyone??
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts