Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top selling blu-ray at Amazon.ca for at least the past 4 or 5 days is......are you ready, DVE (Digital Video Essentials) HD Basics. I never would have guessed. I ordered a copy. For those that already have it, how useful is this disc?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
could easily be the RFD effect( see redflagdeals for more on RFD effect :D ). it was only 10 dollars last week which is an excelent price for a home theatre setup disk and includes filters!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
For those that already have it, how useful is this disc?
I have the HD-DVD version, and unlike most members here, I found it to be a waste of time & money (though I paid $20+ for my copy). The calibration disc itself is not HD, it's difficult to navigate, instructions are unnecessarily complicated, and much of the technical jargon is beyond the average consumer (even those who do their homework and try to be educated about this stuff).

A cheaper route, though not as accurate, could be Cnet's new HDTV picture settings forum...

I'm also not claiming that my settings are the definitive calibration for a particular TV. A professional, ISF-style calibration takes into account your entire system, including the room, lighting conditions, playback devices, and even inevitable variations among display devices. It also typically costs a couple hundred bucks. My settings are free, so what do you have to lose?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I foudn the disk very usfull espeicaly for the color filters. Its not over the top technical and imo is very usfull for fine tuning the color accuracy and blacks on your display. theres nothing worse then an eyeballed tv. ( assumign your not a profesional calibrator lol)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have the Bly Ray version and found it very useful. Unlike Cooper83 I found the navigation easy and the test patterns very good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used it on DVD (borrowed from a friend) and now own a BD copy. There is a lot of talking, with a fair amount of info on CRT's that doesn't affect a lot of people these days, but there is useful info there.

Once you know what to do, go to the test patterns and setup is easy. Getting to that point isn't the most friendly journey, but you can google help on instructions on the net when you go to run the test patterns.

Overall, for $10 I vote yes it is worth it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the HD-DVD version, and unlike most members here, I found it to be a waste of time & money (though I paid $20+ for my copy). The calibration disc itself is not HD...

I have the HD-DVD version and it most definitely is in HD. It's HD on one side, and SD on the other.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have the SD, Combo HD and BD versions of this disc. :)
And I concur with worth, it is HD on the HD-DVD version.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I have the HD-DVD version and it most definitely is in HD. It's HD on one side, and SD on the other.
It appears there are two versions of Digital Video Essentials, which is perhaps why there is confusion. Mine is this one, and I agree with the mostly negative comments about it. The new version "HD Basics" must be quite an improvement, I wonder if it's worth picking up the Blu-ray version...

Eluder - since you have both the DVD version & the newer HD Basics, how do they compare? If I hated the DVD version, will I hate the Blu-ray too? Or do they actually improve on it and include some decent instructions?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It appears there are two versions of Digital Video Essentials, which is perhaps why there is confusion. Mine is this one, and I agree with the mostly negative comments about it. The new version "HD Basics" must be quite an improvement, I wonder if it's worth picking up the Blu-ray version...

Eluder - since you have both the DVD version & the newer HD Basics, how do they compare? If I hated the DVD version, will I hate the Blu-ray too? Or do they actually improve on it and include some decent instructions?
I have the 'full' version on DVD and HD-DVD, the HD Basics version on BD.
There are some changes to the Basics version, but in all honesty, I actually think the instructions in the full version are better. So you will likely hate the basics version.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I actually think the instructions in the full version are better.
The reviews on Amazon make it seem like the instructions on HD Basics are much better/easier than the original version, as if they've been drastically improved. But you're saying that's not the case?

I just want to calibrate my TV using a true high-def disc, without having to listen to a super-detailed explanation of everything with vague instruction on how to do it, which is why I prefer the THX calibration on many Pixar discs (but I've heard those settings should be avoided...)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The reviews on Amazon make it seem like the instructions on HD Basics are much better/easier than the original version, as if they've been drastically improved. But you're saying that's not the case?

I just want to calibrate my TV using a true high-def disc, without having to listen to a super-detailed explanation of everything with vague instruction on how to do it, which is why I prefer the THX calibration on many Pixar discs (but I've heard those settings should be avoided...)
I found the instructions on the HD basics to be lacking, so I found myself rewatching the HD-DVD version to get the instructions again, and then popping in the Basics version when calibrating my PS3. I've used the HD-DVD version for my 360, and the BD version for my PS3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts