Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the DVD Essentials disk. I used it about seven years ago to adjust my rear projection Toshiba 65" HDTV. I stopped using the disk after I had an ISF technician adjust the television. I have now replaced the Toshiba with a Panasonic 65" plasma HDTV. I replaced other components, so my connections are different now.

I could play the DVD Essentials in a high-end DVD player that uses component cables to go to an Arcam receiver, where it is probably up-converted to use the HDMI cable to the Panasonic HDTV.

or

I could play the DVD Essentials in a mid-range Panasonic Blu-ray player that would up-convert the content immediately to use HDMI to go to the Arcam.

Which is the better option? Should I forget it and pay a technician?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
This is an interesting case.

DVD and BluRay actually use different colour encodings on the disc. Depending on the player being used and the connection to the TV (HDMI or component) the colour format output by the player CAN be different.

If the player is doing the right thing it SHOULD convert the DVD colour space to the HD colour space over HDMI. The only way to know for sure it to calibrate with an HD disk and then put in the DVD and see if it's the same.

If they are not, then you'll need to decide which format you want to be correct.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I would get the HD version, Digital Video Essentials [Blu-ray]. It's only $16 from Amazon. It might be interesting to compare the results for the two versions on different players.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Some (maybe not relevant or useful for your Blu-Ray setup) information:
I have the HD-DVD version of Digital Video Essentials, which is a combo disc with the original DVD version on the other side. I set up my TV using the HD-DVD version in my Venturer HD-DVD player. Using the DVD side in the same player results in the same TV settings.

However, putting different equipment (my Oppo DVD player or my Pioneer DVD recorder) on the same TV input, and using the same DVE DVD disc, requires different TV settings.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DVD-Essentials

Sixteen dollars is cheap. The DVD cost us over $50, IIRC. I assumed the Blu-ray version would be similarly priced, rather than actually checking. :rolleyes:

I'll pick up the Blu-ray version.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
If you have a BR burner or even a DVD burner or a mediia player that can play media clips you may want to consider getting this.

Just Google,
AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

I put the HD videos I needed on a small USB key and use my WD TV for playback. I don't need a complicated menu or slow access, just the file which I set to loop until I am happy with the settings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts