Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps it is just me but what is happening with the CTV National Newscast.......over the past month or so the news has had "entertainment" type stories as their lead items on several occasions. Last night the prize went to the last story regarding men dancing.....a whole lot of crap in my opinion. Listen to the banter between the anchor and the reporter...in some cases it sounds like it was written by a grade school student. Why is it necessary to say who the reporter was after the reporter has allready identified themselves (twice at least) Why do they do stories from Pakistan and India with the reporter based in Ottawa.....is anything more than a voice-over required. Now it becomes evident why Tom Clark jumped ship!

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
The dumbing down has been going on for years and not just with TV news. Apparently we want "entertainment" instead of news. The same thing happened with what used to be CHWO radio and is now "Zoomer Radio" (yuck). For years, I had listened to them because they had good news, never cared much for their music though. Since Moses Znaimer took over and started this Zoomer nonsense, they've cut back on the news and filled it with fluff and those "Zoomer Reports", which are a waste of perfectly good dead air. While we're at it, we can talk about how Heather Reisman dumbed down Chapters and Worlds Biggest Bookstore. It's all about the same trend to turn us into mindless idiots. Even CNN has fallen into that nonsense.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
Yep, lead (or second) item on many channels was the silly Koran burning issue, which shouldn't have even received any airtime.

I love the "live from the newsroom" reports too. ;)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I agree. CNN is a shadow of what it was 20 years ago. They have eliminated most of their field reporters and rely on political opinion pieces and second hand reporting more than ever. The same has happened on every station that does news reports. Local news reporting is a joke compared to 20 years ago as well. Don't get me started on channels like FOX News. When did a bunch of rednecks spouting bigotry and arguing on TV become news reporting? At least Bill Maher has the good sense to call that a comedy show. ;)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I love the "live from the newsroom" reports too.
Of course, with LLoyd Robertson, you have to wonder about the "live" part. ;-)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Supposed "news" stories are revenue generators

Newsrooms routinely pick up supposed "news" stories that are in fact supplied by PR firms in the form of press release videos. There has been much talk over the years of forcing broadcasters to banner-label such items as "sponsored" or "provided by subject company" due to the obvious ethical concerns, but nothing much ever seems to come of it since small stations use those items as revenue generators by accepting fees for showing them.

In Canada a huge offender in this area is Global News (moreso in their local news telecasts than national) and of course CTV News (locally and nationally).

Do they accept everyone's money? No, and that is a further ethical problem, because the newsroom becomes beholden to corporate interests. Thus, a story on the latest Volvo or Chevrolet automobile may run, but a PR video from an environmental group may not, even though it also comes with $$$ attached.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
That Zoomer radio often has "news" that is nothing more than promotion for other Znaimer activities.

·
Registered
606 Posts
BBC News is still excellent. I've often wished they'd start a N. American daily US newscast with a Canadian edition on the weekend.

I know it's an odd list but the only places I truly trust for news are:

- Canada Press
- The Daily Show
- TMZ (say what you will but I've seen Harvey disclose parent company conflicts in covering stories more than I've seen Wolf Blitzer do it)
- Real Time with Bill Maher
- Politico

·
Registered
725 Posts
I choose CTV as my main TV news source simply because of the glorious HD picture quality and am fully aware that their news coverage and presentation are not the best. Because of that, I also DVR CBC late nite local news for the real news CTV misses. You wouldn't think 5 minutes of daily local news from CBC would cover news that CTV news at 5, at 6, and 11 miss, would you? I remember there was a local fatal traffic accident happened a few months ago that did just that: was covered with video in the 5-min CBC late nite local news but was never even mentioned in any of CTV news at 5, 6, or 11. A few days ago when crowds of hundreds gathered at Metrotown Centre Mall for Sedins' autograph, CTV covered only the feel-good part of Sedin's giving out autograph, but CBC covered the chaos of the crowd before that. Last year when Burrard St bridge's dedicated bike lane was first put to real test, CBC covered the traffic congestion leading up to the lane-reduced bridge while CTV chopper showed only the scarce traffic on the bridge (scarce because all the congestion naturally happened before traffic hits the bridge) and reported that there was little adverse effect of the dedicated bike lane on traffic.

I haven't use Global for my TV news source for a long time, but once they go HD I'll see if it's time to jump ship.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
This morning, I tuned into CP24 at 8 AM, as I often do on Saturdays. At 20 minutes into the show, they'd had only one short news piece about 9/11 remeberance activities, a bit of weather and traffic and the rest of the time was about TIFF and some big activity about women's cancer. I can understand those two getting some mention, but not almost 20 minutes worth. If I'd known that was what passed for news, I wouldn't have bothered turning on the TV.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Of course, with LLoyd Robertson, you have to wonder about the "live" part. ;-)
You had me laughing with that one, James!
I swear that they have been manipulating Lloyd's carcass for years with a sophisticated system of gears, levers and cables.... :)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
Yeah, with all that makeup he has on, you might think he's already been embalmed. ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts