Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have unlocked my phone and it has been a great benefit and resource when traveling. I tried looking through my contact but couldn't find anything so I ask all of you.

1. Did I break my service agreement by unlocking?

2. Can a sim card re-lock my phone? It seems unlocking was hardware based so I don't know how the card could do it but I'm a bit paranoid.

Reason is I got a text message and a voice mail from Bell saying to go to any Bell store and get a new sim card. Worried that the new one will marry itself back to Bell only.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The reason for this text message from Bell is it seems that SIM cards with a certain batch code (BM### including 007, 009, and 010) needs to be changed out to help with possible signal and connectivity issues.

Bell is actually being pro-active about replacing sim cards that MAY be faulty/defective.

If you have a 007 or 009 or 010 sim you can get a free replacement to 012 or higher.

Even if you don't have a problem you can still get the replacement just in case.

Some issues could be:
- Random Reception Loss (in areas where it use to be fine before)
- Random Dropped Calls (in areas where it use to be fine before)
- Random SOS/Emergency Only (in areas where it use to be fine before)
- Randomly Losing 3G Signal (in areas where it use to be fine before)

Pretty much anything that seems to be acting weird when you didn't use to have the problem before.

NOTE: This will NOT fix the "capacity issues" some of us are experiencing at large concentrated venues namely Universities and Arenas.
The above quote is from another forum. I too got this text from Bell and had to look into it.

Hope this helps,
Cheers

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The new SIM card will not re-lock your phone (after all, if it did that, than putting in a Rogers or Telus SIM would probably lock the phone to them afterwards).

The only way your phone could be re-locked is if you do a firmware update (in some cases).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts