Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never used component cables (r,g,b) before (hooking my 6131 to the new HDTV), but I thought they included an audio signal as well. Is this not true?

Sorry, I know it's a dumb question, but just looking for some clarification.

The reason I ask is that I was sure yesterday when I connected the TV through the component cables, I was getting sound, but when I adjusted things again last night (moved cables around, etc), I didn't have sound. Played around this morning, and still no sound. Furthermore, when looking in the manual for the TV, it shows audio cables going from the receiver to the TV (in addition to the component cables), yet there's only a digital option on the back of the satellite receiver.

Thanks...

Dave

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Component video doesn't carry audio. You need to connect the red/white analogue audio cables. Here's the FAQ on the topic. There must be analogue audio connections on the back of the STB. Make sure you haven't mixed up the red for component video with the red for audio, etc. It's possible that you may have utilized the RF-coax connection before, which would provide audio, but would not provide HD video signals. Do not hook up the RF-coax connection from the STB to the TV since it doesn't give HD and is often confusing for other family members who would change to the incorrect input on the TV..

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
You are right component cables only carry video. They are sometimes called YPbPr. For sound you should see analog stereo audio outputs (Red and White) connectors. If you want better sound then hook up the digital sound (if your TV is equipped), which can be either an optical cable or the orange audio output on the sat receiver. You may have to go into the sat receiver setting to change your audio if you change from analog to digital.

Finally some TVs have audio and video assignments. By this I mean if you use the YPbPr input on the TV make sure you are using the correct audio plugs (1, 2 or 3 for example) that pair with the component video you are using.

Edit: Sorry for the repeat. 57 types faster than me! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 57 (and Jake)....I had read the cable FAQ last night...very informative.

I'm guessing my only option is to get the digital audio cable, as I have the composite cables from the satellite receiver going to a modulator (I have 2 TVs hooked up through one receiver). Since the 6131 only has digital audio out remaining, that's my only option (and the modulator has three "in" sources but only the coax out, so I can't run the sound through that).

The one thing I can't figure out is that I'm pretty sure I had sound when in HDTV, and the only other thing I had hooked up at any time was the coax cable (and yes, it was HD, not SD ;) ).

Thanks for the insight...

Dave

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You could split the Audio Outputs of the 6131 to feed the Receiver and Tv or better yet, why not use the HDMI port on the 6131 directly to the TV.?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Very few TVs have digital audio inputs, other than HDMI. Usually they only have an optical output. You can use y-connectors or piggyback cables to go from one output to 2 inputs for the analogue audio cables.

Are you using a modulator for an HDTV? As stated, RF-coax doesn't carry HD from a STB (or other device) to a TV. You must use either component video or HDMI for HD. Are you talking about a switch? Or is this feeding an SDTV?

I suggest you give us a full list (makes and models) of all your equipment and cables and how you're connected, instead of feeding us piecemeal information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...

Everything from the satellite receiver to the satellite was set up by Bell. From there, I have two receivers: a 9241 set up to an SD TV via coax cable. Everything works fine there.

My second setup is a 6131, and it was originally hooked up to two SD tvs, with the composite cables (red, white yellow) hooked up to a modulator, with a coax cable coming out of the modulator. I then have a two way splitter, with one feed going to each SD TV. Everything worked fine with this setup, on both TVs.

Yesterday, I decided to purchase an HDTV to replace one of the SD tvs on the 6131 setup. I quickly learned that I wasn't getting 720p simply by connecting the coax cable that was previously connected to the SDtv.

At that point, I connected the component cables (red, blue, green) to the back of the 6131, and then to the HDTV (not going through the modulator. It should be noted that I still need the modulator to connect to the other TV, as it's 30' away and I need the conversion to coax to reach that TV). I selected the proper input option for the component cables, and I had the HDTV signal working perfectly (the TV told me it had a 720p connection). I don't remember if I had disconnected the coax or not, but I'm pretty sure I had sound though the TV (although now I'm second guessing myself).

After that, because of how short my component cable was, I had to disconnect it and re-organize my cables, and move things a little closer together. After I did that, I didn't get sound anymore. I re-tried everything this morning, but nothing worked towards getting sound though the HDTV (with the component connection).

As well, after reading the manual again, 57 is right...it's an audio output on the TV, not imput.

So, in my understanding, the only way things will work is if I go HDMI from the receiver to the HDTV, or if I go with component, I have to get a Y connection for my composite audio cables, with one set going to the HDTV, and the second set going to the splitter. Correct?

Thanks, and sorry for the length of post...

Dave

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
the only way things will work is if I go HDMI from the receiver to the HDTV, or if I go with component, I have to get a Y connection for my composite audio cables, with one set going to the HDTV, and the second set going to the splitter. Correct?
Yes that is correct.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
All correct. Thank for the details. HDMI might be your easiest eventual option. You can purchase HDMI cables on the web or at computer stores for $20 or less. No need to purchase an expensive cable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts