Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to watch 20/20 on 1211 ABC-HD West feed , the "what would you do" show finished with its "20/20 starts now" count down , and the episode started , 5 seconds in , someone flipped a switch , and boom that white screen came up ... does anyone know WHY this happened? now what ?am i just pvring white screens now ? or do i have to watch it on crappy CHCH from now on ..

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Although I didn't see the EP if the EP involed a court caser in Canada that has a publication band(no info allowed to be broadcast) the block the signal. This happen before with the Carl Hallomaka/Burnado case.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Found this on another web site.
DearAffiliates,

Please be advised that Bell TV will be fully blacking out all instances of 20/20 this evening, due to a court order banning the publication of information related to a trial currently taking place in Edmonton, which is the subject of tonight’s 20/20 episode.

We were asked by the producer, the Canadian broadcaster, and the U.S.broadcaster to perform the blackout. The Canadian broadcaster decided to fully pull 20/20 off of their programming schedule for tonight and insert an older episode of 20/20. This left any/all ABC feeds of 20/20 for Bell TV to black out. The blackout is proceeding for the various ABC feeds as follows:

ABC East Feed (Standard Definition) – a previous episode of 20/20 will appear instead of what was originally scheduled
ABC East Feed (High Definition) – a previous episode of 20/20 will appear instead of what was originally scheduled

ABC West Feed (Standard Definition) – blackout of 20/20 (a slide will be visible for the 1 hour duration)
ABC West Feed (High Definition) – blackout of 20/20 (a slide will be visible for the 1 hour duration)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I happened to be flipping by and saw that message. I didn't really want to watch it but after I saw that backout message I was curious enough to watch it online today. I more than likely would have not given it a second thought other wise.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I happened to be flipping by and saw that message. I didn't really want to watch it but after I saw that backout message I was curious enough to watch it online today. I more than likely would have not given it a second thought other wise.
Same. I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to. I never watch 20/20 and I wouldn't have even noticed otherwise. This backfired a bit on the guys trying to keep it out of Canada.

·
Registered
358 Posts
picked this program up OTA ( I live across the river from Detroit ) and it was interesting. Media ban or not on this case, I don't understand why it would be fine for the US to pick up the program (if the ban is still on), but why it couldn't be shown in Canada.

If it can't be shown in one area then it shouldn't be right to broadcast it in any area at this time. JMHO

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
20/20 is an American program. They're not bound by Canadian publication bans just as the Canadian media are not bound by any U.S. restrictions. That's the way it should be.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I just read the article about the case in the Edmonton paper and I don't get it. The guy is clearly guilty, he tells the police where to find the body, and then he pleads not guilty.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I watched the banned 20/20 episode as well. They went into some detail, enough to bias a juror I suppose. Don't know why it was blacked out in the rest of the country though. The details are somewhat sensational but it's no worse than a lot of other murder cases that get coverage. It's nowhere near as bad as the Bernardo/Homolka case for depravity.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Maybe because Rogers doesn't service Alberta for TV. Shaw and Bell do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts