Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with dual WAN routers? There don't seem to be too many that would fall in the retail prices range of less than $200 but it seems like a good idea if you want line redundancy. You could get both Rogers and Bell as your ISP and get to deal with both of them!

Assuming that everything gets bonded together properly this also seems like one of the less expensive ways of getting decent upload speed > 1Mbps.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
I have worked extensively with Adtran routers, which can support mulitple WANs or routes. I don't think you're likely to get bonding between Bell & Rogers. Also, if you use two ISPs, you've got two different routes to the internet, but can only have one default route. Which one will it be? All the traffic will go via the default route, unless you somehow specify a route. If you had multiple computers, you could split them between the two ISPs though. What you're trying to do is possible with commercial grade routers, but they would be configured to use a routing protocol such as Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) or Routing Information Protocol (RIP). Even then, these are more for fallback protection, than load balancing. And both ISPs will have to enable it. They may for commerical customers, but I doubt they would for home users. Some ADSL providers may support bonding of multiple lines.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could swear that about 12 months ago I saw a review for a dual WAN router that cost in the range of $150-$200 and it was able to do load balancing so that you could use two internet connections equally.

The reason that I ask is that I am looking into MLPPP service from Teksavvy and it binds two DSL lines. You need some custom firmware for a Linksys WRT54GL router but it got me thinking that why not do this with two ISPs?

It looks like Cisco/Linksys makes a dual WAN router that you can get for around $150 - it is the RV042. Amazon has it for around $120.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Bonding two DSLs with MLPPP is "easy" because they terminate at the same piece of access equipment.

If you have two separate ISPs you would have to load balance at the session/socket layer. Doable for sure, but how well it works will depend on the specific router.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would recommend the Linksys RV0X2's... I have the RV082 myself. The RV042 is just a 4 port version... there is even a 16 port version, but of course the more ports the more price...

As for MLPPP your ISP would need to support it. Its not just a matter of jumping on any ISP and hoping it will work. Some ISP's have multiple LNS's setup and round robin the authentications so it will not work. They would have to have things on just one LNS to have MLPPP work correctly from my understanding of things.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
As for MLPPP your ISP would need to support it.
Teksavvy has separate equipment for MLPPP users and they must enable your account to use it. They also charge a $4 fee and two DSL lines are required for bonded lines. That bumps the cost up significantly. It provides twice the data allowance in addition to doubling effective line speed. The cost and speed is comparable to some of the Rogers premium packages but with a much higher data cap, much lower overage charges and less throttling of P2P data.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cost and speed is comparable to some of the Rogers premium packages but with a much higher data cap, much lower overage charges and less throttling of P2P data.
Supposedly if you have MLPPP with Tesksavvy then there is no throttling whatsoever, rather than less throttling. And I believe that the MLPPP also comes with a static IP address which has some value as well - Teksavvy charges $4/month for a static IP if you don't have MLPPP.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Combining 2 modems to 1 router

Can you hook 2 modems to 1 router to get faster download speeds. I have 1 DSL modem and 1 cable modem.

IS there anyway I can combine both accounts to the 1 router to get fast downloads?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
No, you cannot combine two accounts in that manner. Your packets contain address info that determine what route the return packets use to get to you. This means whatever account is used to connect to the remote server will always be the one the data returns to. However, with some ISPs, it is possible to bond ADSL connections for greater bandwidth.

·
Registered
700 Posts
It would probably be more cost effective to drop one of the services and bump up your service level on the other one. E.g. if you have the 10mbps service, up it to 25mbps or 50mbps. Unless you are getting one of the services for free, you will probably save money.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
A year or two ago, I recall announcements about dual wan routers that could load balance two Internet connections but I can't find any info on them anymore. I remember because at the time, I considered getting one.

Edit: Update

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=452

The DI-LB604 Load Balancing Router features dual WAN ports, four LAN ports and firewall protection providing consistent network uptime and reliable Ethernet connection.

and

This product has been discontinued as of May 01, 2009

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
^^^^
Load balancing, such as that D-Link provides requires the co-operation of the ISP as the links must be bonded at both ends. I have worked with equipment that can bond up to 8 HDSL lines (HDSL is a symetrical service, unlike the asymetrical ADSL).

·
Registered
754 Posts
Increasing the speed of a single download, using multiple WAN links may not be possible, but for multiple simultaneous downloads, they could be distributed.

E.g. You could use a Linux box with 3 ethernet ports as a router, using iptables to do the load balancing.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
^^^^
There's still the issue of the default route. Whichever link is the default route is the one that will be used. The only way around this is to set up your own autonomous network and use an exterior routing protocol such as Border Gateway Protocol (BGP). This is doable in Linux, but not consumer level routers. If you have a network with multiple computers, you could configure them individually to use one default route or the other.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The lartc pages linked to above seem ancient - last updated in 2005! Would it still be relevant?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wayne, the Linksys RV042 has been designed and used for exactly that purpose for years. And yes, you can have dsl on one port and cable on the other. I have one and have used it succesfully in exactly that way. It does load balancing on its own, no fancy programming required.

The RV042 is a four port model and runs about $200. You can also get an 8 or 16 port model.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wayne, the Linksys RV042 has been designed and used for exactly that purpose for years. And yes, you can have dsl on one port and cable on the other. I have one and have used it succesfully in exactly that way. It does load balancing on its own, no fancy programming required.
By load balancing does that mean it will combine the bandwidth from both ISPs or will it have some PCs on your LAN use ISP1 and other PCs use ISP2?

In other words if you have 15Mbps from Rgoers and 15 Mbps from Bell you can't combine them to have one PC run at 30Mbps could you? But you could have two PCs each using 15Mbps simultaneously, on on Rogers and one on Bell.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not a network guru but if you have 30 Mb available coming in, I would imagine you could use it with one pc provided the os or software application allows. It's been a couple of years since I was set up with 2 providers, but I don't recall tapping my foot waiting for linux distros coming down. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts