Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Dual satellite vs triple satellite LNBF

44K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  ronycoca 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about putting satellite in my shop and have been looking for another satellite(too far to run cable). It's at the same address so it's not really account splitting. I have a dual satellite quad output switchable Ku LNBF. Input freq. - 11.023-12.223GHz Output freq.950-2150 MHz(non stacked)
vertical 10.5 - 14.2V horizontal 15.2 - 21.0V. It has the same model number as the triple satellite xKu model (SHAW60E-SKW 3112 298 04421) and the specs are all the same. What's the difference between the dual satellite model and the triple model being the specs(and model #) is the same.

#2 ·
Later this year, Shaw is launching a new satellite, called Anik G1. It will be broadcasting all HD channels.

Customers who wish to view channels from this new satellite MUST use the new Triple Satellite xKu LNB.

Customers who do not want the new channels can continue using the Dual Sat LNB.

In your particular situation, you MUST use the same LNB on both dishes, because, Shaw sends down V-codes to your receivers, telling the receivers which LNB you are using.

All receivers on the same account must use the same LNB (either a Dual or a Triple).

If you are unable to find a used dish with the Dual Sat LNB, then install a dish with the Triple xKu LNB on your Shop. Then you will have to call Shaw and have them come to your house, and replace your current Dual Sat LNB with a Triple xKu LNB on the dish on your house.

I believe thay are charging $50 for this LNB plus the cost of a service call.

The Tech then calls Shaw and tells them to update your account to the Triple LNB, and within 15 minutes, all your receivers will be working.

Whereabouts are you? I have two Shaw dishes with Dual LNB's available.

#12 ·
Later this year, Shaw is launching a new satellite, called Anik G1. It will be broadcasting all HD channels.
Has it been confirmed that Anik G1 will be broadcasting exclusively HD channels? I heard that some of this satellite's capacity will also be used to carry local Canadian stations which are currently missing from the existing service due to capacity issues (i.e. CBC Newfoundland, etc...). Obviously the new satellite will also allow Shaw Direct to offer more HD channels but I don't believe that all channels on the new satellite will be exclusively in HD.

Regards,

Dr. Sat

#3 ·
So there is a difference. Why would they give them the same model number? Don't really matter I guess. Are the LNB's you have available the same as the one I listed? Dual lnb's can easy enough to find, it's just I need THIS one, which is proving difficult to find. I'm located about a 1/2 hour south of Owen Sound.

#4 ·
The new XKu has an LO of 10.070 Ghz, instead of the standard Ku LO of 10.750 , and a larger aperature. That is it. Because of the LO difference,and hoe Motorola receivers work, you will need a V-code to match your LNBF.

As fot your shop, I would check things to be sure. Although your shop and home may have the same building address, each should have a sub-unit address, and therefore have its own account. Plus, being a commercial establishment, may require some sort of commercial account.

#6 ·
Although nothing has been said officially, I believe all new HD channel additions will be on G1 with the current HD channels not requiring an upgrade.

One can speculate that the NFL and NHL packages may be the first to be moved to the new Satellite, just like the SD version of the channels were moved to MPEG-4 last year and required a receiver upgrade.

Of course it has been announced that the G1 satellite launched has been delayed, so it all remains to be seen.

Also you have to wonder how much new channel space will be left after they add all the local CBC/CTV/Global/ SRC/ TVA channels in HD.

#7 ·
I asked Jim through e-mail about this and someone phoned me back. I was told that I do not need a new dish or receiver and that around 22 channels will be free (DRTC ordered). The CSR told me that they don't know what channels will be coming (free or otherwise). He said I will get more channels.

#9 ·
With all due respect to Classicsat, don't even consider a separate account.

It's absolutely not required. If you are the Primary Account holder paying the bill for your house, and your garage is at the back of the property, then install a Shaw dish on the garage.

If your house has the older Dual Sat Quad, then get one of these for the Shop.
Don't worry about the Model #'s, just concern yourself with what the label reads (Dual Satellite Quad or Triple Satellite Quad).

You stated the LNB on your house is a Dual Sat Quad LNB. These are the ones I have, and they are easy to find. Check Kijiji as I see ads all the time from someone near Owen Sound who occasionally sells Shaw dishes with the Dual Sat LNB.

Until the new satellite is launched and operational, which I hear has been delayed again til further notice, don't make it difficult for yourself.

Get the regular Model 60E dish and the Dual Sat Quad.

Don't bother with the Triple xKu LNB until you need one on the house.

When that occurs, just ask the Shaw installer if he will sell you another Triple xKu LNB for cash, and swap out the Shop Dish's LNB yourself.

It's very easy.

#10 ·
I'd go in a totally different manner and simply dig a trench about a foot down and bury some plastic pipe and then pull a new feed to the garage. I did a run 350 feet with no issues, and another member here did a 650 foot run with one in line booster.

Just use good connectors (aquatights) and a single cable with no splices. :rolleyes:

#13 ·
That's a good question Dr. Sat.

In Aug.2011 when this new LNB was introduced, that is what I was told.

Things change, and Shaw just might add some local SD channels if they are having capacity issues with the other two sats.

DO we have any Shaw Techs out there reading these posts who may be able to shed some light on the Anik G1 satellite service?

HD only or HD and SD ???

#14 ·
If for some technical reason they wanted to put only HD on the new Satellite they could just move existing HD from one of the other Satellite's to free up a bunch of room there for new SD channels as well. They probably were just saying that the need for more HD channels is driving the need for a third Satellite.

#15 ·
Of course they are.

Eventually, there will be no Std Def'n TV or channels.

By the time that happens, the current fleet of satellites will be retired, and all HD channels will be broadcast from the new G1 (not launched yet) and the future replacements of the two current satellites.

And when that happens, there will be no StarChoice/Shaw TV south of the border.

In my opinion, this is still a big mistake because of all the Canadian Snowbirds who flock to the southern USA and Mexico for the winter.

They're paying their bills, and would gladly watch Cdn TV, if Bell and Shaw provided the satellite coverage.

As of early July, there is NO BELL TV available in the southern USA or Mexico.

Shaw will follow with the new G1 sat and any future replacements.

BIG MISTAKE I think.

Not being a satellite/computer/HDTV techy, I'm sure there's a good reason for doing this, I'm just not sure what it is.

#16 ·
Shaw will follow with the new G1 sat and any future replacements.
What a crock of conjecture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no way that Telesat management would ever build replacement commercial satellites with reduced C or Ku band footprints.

They have no idea if Shaw will even exist in 2022 to 2025 when F2/F1R are ready to be replaced - odds are Shaw will not exist in any form within 5 years. Cable will be sold to Rogers, Shaw Media merged with Corus, Shaw Direct/SBS merely shut down and the Truck tracking service sold to an investment firm for the usual "gut and flip for quick profit".

#17 ·
Hey Mon Key C and Mon Key Do,

U sound like a lawyer LOL

I can tell you for a fact the new satellite Shaw is launching will NOT be visible in most of the USA and NOT visible in Mexico.

I do a ton of Bell and Shaw installs, and I keep my ears open and mouth shut.

The plan is, if Shaw is still around, that any new satellites launched for Shaw service will utilize the new "Canada only" footprint.

Bell just did it with the recent replacement of Nimiq 91 satellites, and now Shaw with Anik G1.

Technically, I don't understand why this was done, but this is what has happened.

#18 ·
Well Mr Know it All Installer

If you had done the slightest bit of reading on Telesat's site; you have learned that Shaw has leased 15 Extended Ku Band transponders on G1.

Extended Ku band is NOT satellite only in North America under the ITU Agreement.

Telesat has a temporary permit from Industry Canada to operate in this band from 107.3 and 111.1 until 2028.

All this because nobody told the Shaw Clan, who have taken $130m out of the business in the last 2 years, that HD was coming in the 21st century. These clowns passed on the F3 Ku transponders ... and then go crying to Industry Canada that there was no ku band bandwidth left in the 103 to 119 arc.

A real joke for business leadership - Industry Canada should have said NO to them.

#19 ·
mon key C

I don't claim to know it all. I do know a lot, from experience, and from excellent information provided by people like yourself.

Now may I please ask that you take your last post, and explain it so that the basic Installer understands what you mean?

I can honestly tell you that I have no idea how a satellite works.

Could you please explain what the folowing excerpt meant;

All this because nobody told the Shaw Clan, who have taken $130m out of the business in the last 2 years, that HD was coming in the 21st century. These clowns passed on the F3 Ku transponders ... and then go crying to Industry Canada that there was no ku band bandwidth left in the 103 to 119 arc.

My last question that you may be able to answer. Do you know how they are able to take a satellite like G1 and transmit a footprint to a specific area (i.e. Canada only)?

Dish Network in the USA also does this with "spotbeams" for Local channel transmission.

Thank you.

#20 ·
He means in their wise ways the Shaws didn't plan at all for the future (HD) and did not contract for space on the F3 satellite when it was available in the standard, so then had to go to IC and ask for an exception and use non-standard frequencies.
They have a temporary use situation which they should
never have been granted.
In his opinion they are bozos for taking $130M out of the business instead of investing in the future with it

#21 ·
Industry Canada Conditions for Telesat

Conditions for the Use of an Extended ku Band Satellite at the 111.1°W or 107.3°W Orbital Positions for the Provision of Capacity for Direct-to-Home Satellite Television (DTH) Services

1. In the extended ku band (10.7-11.7 GHz), only the bands 11.075-11.2 GHz and 11.575-11.7 GHz shall be used to carry DTH services in Canada.

2. No DTH services shall be carried in these bands after January 1, 2028.

3. Telesat shall launch a satellite with an extended ku band DTH payload by January 1, 2014.

4. Telesat shall provide Industry Canada with a copy of its satellite services agreement with Shaw Direct for the procurement of extended ku band capacity before April 1, 2010.

5. Telesat shall demonstrate that it has entered into a contract for the construction of a satellite with an extended ku band DTH payload by July 1, 2011.

6. The operation of the satellite shall be in conformity with the applicable power flux density limits set out in No. 21.16 of the ITU Radio Regulations for this band.

7. Telesat shall not claim protection from terrestrial stations operating in the bands 11.075-11.2 GHz and 11.575-11.7 GHz.

There are 425 licenced terrestrial stations in this band

#22 ·
In other words, there are 425 terrestrial users if the band the X-Ku satellite will use, and they are entitled to protection, while users of the G1 satellite are not, so they must curtail the beam to protect those terrestrial users.

The Dish/Direct spot beams are not to protect terrestrial users of the same spectrum, but the dual purpose of protecting the local markets and reusing frequencies.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Exactly! Directv/Dish uses spotbeams, so they can similcast different stations, on the same frequency, from different satellite locations. It makes it, so a customer in Rochester, New York, can't receive locals from Bakersfield, California, by setting up an account at their parents house.

One other thing. By tightening up their CONUS style footprint, for Canada only, they can distribute a stronger signal in the northern part of North America, instead of the southern states.

#24 ·
Signals in u.s.

Will the 30" winegard I'm currently using on Bell nimiq 82 work on either of the Shaw 107 or 111-I realize I have to change the lnb's. I also have the 36" with the 30 and 40mm (orig FTA) lnb mount. So, can I use the 30" on 107 and the 36" on 111-? I know I don't need (and may not be able to get the G1)...

#27 ·
Triple LNB question

Does anyone know what happens when a Dual Quad LNB is replaced with a Triple Quad LNB as far as: will the new Triple LNB work with the F1-F2 satellites if the V-code is not changed by Shaw for the Triple LNB?

In other words, would the Triple LNB work out of the box (minus the G1 channels) or does Shaw absolutely need to change the V code so that the Triple LNB can tune the F1 and F2 channels as well as the G1 channels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.