Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Industry Canada Conditions for Telesat

Conditions for the Use of an Extended ku Band Satellite at the 111.1°W or 107.3°W Orbital Positions for the Provision of Capacity for Direct-to-Home Satellite Television (DTH) Services

1. In the extended ku band (10.7-11.7 GHz), only the bands 11.075-11.2 GHz and 11.575-11.7 GHz shall be used to carry DTH services in Canada.

2. No DTH services shall be carried in these bands after January 1, 2028.

3. Telesat shall launch a satellite with an extended ku band DTH payload by January 1, 2014.

4. Telesat shall provide Industry Canada with a copy of its satellite services agreement with Shaw Direct for the procurement of extended ku band capacity before April 1, 2010.

5. Telesat shall demonstrate that it has entered into a contract for the construction of a satellite with an extended ku band DTH payload by July 1, 2011.

6. The operation of the satellite shall be in conformity with the applicable power flux density limits set out in No. 21.16 of the ITU Radio Regulations for this band.

7. Telesat shall not claim protection from terrestrial stations operating in the bands 11.075-11.2 GHz and 11.575-11.7 GHz.

There are 425 licenced terrestrial stations in this band

In other words, there are 425 terrestrial users if the band the X-Ku satellite will use, and they are entitled to protection, while users of the G1 satellite are not, so they must curtail the beam to protect those terrestrial users.

The Dish/Direct spot beams are not to protect terrestrial users of the same spectrum, but the dual purpose of protecting the local markets and reusing frequencies.

Exactly! Directv/Dish uses spotbeams, so they can similcast different stations, on the same frequency, from different satellite locations. It makes it, so a customer in Rochester, New York, can't receive locals from Bakersfield, California, by setting up an account at their parents house.

One other thing. By tightening up their CONUS style footprint, for Canada only, they can distribute a stronger signal in the northern part of North America, instead of the southern states.

Signals in u.s.

Will the 30" winegard I'm currently using on Bell nimiq 82 work on either of the Shaw 107 or 111-I realize I have to change the lnb's. I also have the 36" with the 30 and 40mm (orig FTA) lnb mount. So, can I use the 30" on 107 and the 36" on 111-? I know I don't need (and may not be able to get the G1)...

Triple LNB question

Does anyone know what happens when a Dual Quad LNB is replaced with a Triple Quad LNB as far as: will the new Triple LNB work with the F1-F2 satellites if the V-code is not changed by Shaw for the Triple LNB?

In other words, would the Triple LNB work out of the box (minus the G1 channels) or does Shaw absolutely need to change the V code so that the Triple LNB can tune the F1 and F2 channels as well as the G1 channels?

The V-code needs set, to account for the fact the X-Ku LNBF provides the F1 satellite signals at a different frequency than the standard Ku LNBF. The F1 frequencies are in effect shifted up so the G1 frequencies fit at the bottom of the LNB IF band.

Thanks classicsat for the very technical and interesting response. That brings up a future looking question and I know it's not easy to predict Shaw Direct strategy:

Do you think when F1 and F2 are no longer operational that Shaw will be required to once again change LNB's for all subscribers?

F1R and F2 will be replaced, if Ku satellite will still be viable going forward. The XKu will for sometime be the issued LNBF going forward.

Eventually, they may revert to a standard F1/F2 (or what satellites they are replaced with) configuration, moving G1 transponders to what was vacated when the old BPSK/MPEG2 channels are shut down, if they cannot directly replace G1.

Unless they get another slot, or an XKu bird to co-locate with F2, there will not be an LNBF change.

Shaw is planning to rent fewer transponders once their MPEG4 transition is completed. I don't think they are eliminating satellites, just going back to leasing only part of the total transponders like they did a few years ago.

Short term yes, within the lifetime of the current F1R, F2, and G1. I am just thinking out loud a longer term, if/when satellites are up for replacement. Of course, if Shaw Direct will be a thing then, so will satellites with more selective beams.

IMHO, an LNB change wont be necessary, but those in the USA will no longer have Shaw Direct TV.
The new satellites will be spot-beamed into Canada only, just like G1 satellite, and the new Bell satellites.

I would love to know the math on how many snowbirds watch their Shaw Direct for 4-6 months and won't be able to. What type of dollars would Shaw Direct lose by those subscribers going Seasonal rather than not interrupting their service as they have these last few years.

I think I know the answer as I look up this months bill and an additional $7 charge.

I have recently purchased a used Winegard SK-7003 automatic roof mount for my rv. I cannot tell which lnb is on the dish. It looks like the regular dual quad but, half of the stations do not come in. I am thinking the lnb may be an xku. There is no tag on it to say what it is, only a bar code strip with a serial number.

Is this likely an xku lnb if I only get half the stations? Mostly the lower hd channels and the 700 + french channels are what comes in.

I am using 600 and 630 receivers. I hesitate to convert to the xku until I get back home so that I can change my other 2 dishes to the xku as well. I am reading that I will need to call SD once I have changed them to get the newer programming guides and maps. Is there any chance that a receiver will update on its own when hooked to the xku? I ask because the 600 wanted to download an update of some kind when I first attached it to the SK-7003. It never completed because I had to turn it off and it is now back to a quad lnb.

@ roy.herman

The condition you describe is exactly the same as what I experienced when I replaced my quad LNB with a triple xKu LNB and BEFORE I had the channel map changed by Shaw.

The older triple xKu LNBs' "eyes" were more elongated than the quad's, but the xKu LNBs that I recently purchased are almost identical in appearance to my old quad. So I don't think there any way to tell which it is if the sticker has been removed from the LNB's case.

Here's something you might try to answer your question: On you remote, enter Options >1 >1 >2 >2. This should bring up a menu that will allow you to (temporarily) change your channel map. If your receiver is set for the quad LNB then the current channel map will show as Q4C(<a four digit number>). You can then change the channel map to the xKu by selecting X4C(<a four digit number>). If you change the channel map using this feature and you then receive all your programming, you will know that that the channel map you have does not match the LNB type. (Again, this menu only allows a temporary change; sooner or later, it will change back automatically).

For example, when I had the quad, my then-current channel map showed Q4C(4321). When I had Shaw change the map, it showed X4C(4320). Your four-digit numbers may be different than mine.

Another possibility is that your LNB and your channel map agree with each other, but the electronics in the LNB are defective, preventing it from switching when you select a channel that comes from the other satellite.

I'm not familiar with the automatic mounts, but is it possible that your dish is mispointed?

I do not believe that Shaw will perceive that your receiver and LNB are mismatched, if such is the case, and change the channel map automatically. I know mine didn't, and the last time I watched an installer do a change, he had to call Shaw also in order to get the map changed.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.