Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not with Shaw but with Cableone. That may be my problem. I know the providers can turn on and off various features.

Does anybody use the front panel video/audio in feature? If so how do you accomplish playback of say an ipod or camcorder? I see no way to do on my UEI remote issued by Cableone.

What I'd like to do is run my home movies on my analog vcr into the 6412 and output digital into my PC via firewire.

If I can do this, I can do the same with analog recodings using a usb turntable.

·
Super Moderator
56,421 Posts
Are there any back panel inputs other than RF-coax?

I don't believe the RF-coax will work though either because the STB needs to be connected to the head end to operate (I believe).

Regarding what you're trying to accomplish, why not connect the VCR directly to the PC via composite video?

For the turntable, just connect the red/white analogue outputs to the PC analogue audio inputs for audio, no need to go "through" another device. I'm assuming your PC has those connections as a minimum, or you can purchase a card to do so for very little.

I've moved this thread into the HTPC forum, perhaps others can help you better there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The back panel has RCA A/V inputs.

Frankly in my excitement over being able to use firewire for a/v transfer to my PC, I forgot about more obvious transfer methods for a/v to PC, thanks.

What is it with Motorola and others? Why do they build in the functionality and never never turn it on?

·
Registered
281 Posts
The back panel has RCA A/V inputs.

Frankly in my excitement over being able to use firewire for a/v transfer to my PC, I forgot about more obvious transfer methods for a/v to PC, thanks.

What is it with Motorola and others? Why do they build in the functionality and never never turn it on?
Optimist: Because they plan on introducing the functionality in the future and they don't want you to have to buy new hardware.
Pessimist: Because they want you to think that they plan on introducing the functionality in the future and they don't want you to have to buy new hardware.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Optimist: Because they plan on introducing the functionality in the future and they don't want you to have to buy new hardware.
Pessimist: Because they want you to think that they plan on introducing the functionality in the future and they don't want you to have to buy new hardware.
Close. It's more middleground:
Because they plan on introducing the functionality in the future -- assuming that the MSOs will want it -- and they know that they won't be able to convince MSOs to dump all of their inventory of existing set-tops and replace them with new ones.

However, in the new OCAP world where you will eventually be able to buy a set-top from any third party vendor that cares to make one and get it up and running on your MSO's headend regardless of whether they are SA or Moto-based, I think you'll start to see a lot more churn in box features. After all, at that point, it won't be the MSO that has to bear the burden of buying all of the boxes upfront.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts