Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a brief question for the experts on here!

My DSR505 (from 2006) will have to be upgraded / replaced at some stage soon.

There are already several MPEG4 channels that I cannot access.

I need to use RGB component cables as my 34" CRT HDTV only has DVI, RGB and composite inputs. (The DVI was HDCP compatible but not anymore!)

The DSR600 would be useless to me and I am left to choose between the DSR605 and PVR630.

Just wondering if anyone has compared either of these to the DSR505 (or to each other) as far as signal level on the RGB outputs (PVR function is irrelevant and unwanted).

I know an LNB upgrade will be needed to "see" the new dish -but can't help wondering what Shaw will do for legacy customers who can't access new channels or MPEG4 "upgrades".

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I never noticed a difference using component cables with the DSR505 and DSR605.

Just to let you know, you might have to get the DSR605 from a retailer. Shaw Direct doesn't appear to be selling this receiver direct to customers any more. I'm sure they have stock to replace defective receivers but it may be difficult to get one as an upgrade.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The DSR605 is the most direct replacement to the 505, but has been discontinued. You might get one from retailers that have it. The one I have is used on HDMI, so I cannot say how well it works on component.

I think if you voluntarily get a 6xx receiver yourself, they will upgrade the LNBF for free, and if you get them to upgrade (where they may supply a 600), you may need to pay for the LNBF upgrade.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reply received from Shaw

Thanks "bigoranget" and "classicsat".

Contacted Shaw re my predicament and they offered two options as a long term existing Shaw customer.

1: Purchase a DSR605 from a retailer who has stock and Shaw will activate it AND apply a $125 credit to my account, OR

2: Purchase a PVR630 from Shaw for $149.99 and pay a $49.99 installation fee, including running the second feed line from the dish to the receiver.

In neither case is upgrading the dish to receive the new bird mentioned.

Looks like we'll go for the 630 but still trying to decide, depending on the LNBF upgrade situation.

Will update further re this but would appreciate any advice or suggestions!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Be aware that there is a ground loop issue with 6XX units and some Sony CRT models. This appears as a white vertical sync bar travelling left to right on HD channels. Using the HDMI to DVI cable makes it worse and using audio cable splitters makes it unwatchable. (6XX units do not have 2 sets of audio outs).

I have an older XBR where this is not an issue, but the I had to keep my 505 hooked up to my 36" last gen Sony CRT.

A friend with a 32" last gen Sony has the same problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info mon_Key_C

I'm using a 34" Toshiba CRT (34HF83) and have had no issues with it on Star C/Shaw Direct except for the HDCP.

Initially I could use DVI>DVI from the DSR505 but a few years ago changes to HDCP made the connetion handshake fail.

Have since had excellent pq with RGB component cables, particularly on HD, in part largely also to a total (geographic) exemption from simsubbing.

Looking at the 34HF83 manual, it states the TV is HDCP compliant via DVI - but requires that the TV be turned on first and off last before turning on the receiver such as my DSR505.

Predicament now is that while I need the MPEG4 channels and can only get them with a 605 or 630, will I lose picture quality with them compared with the 505. The 605 is tempting because it's not likely to be available much longer and a $74.99 net price is very attractive - and the HDCP just might work with a HDMI>DVI cable.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DSR605 purchase info

jccamp95, the deal for the DSR605 was an offer from an SD Rep. Purchase the 605 from a retailer for $199.99 and she would give me a lump sum credit of $125 directly on my account; net difference $75.

there are still a few places with 605s available.

Alternative offer was a 630 from Shaw for $149 and installation for $49 (new LNB and second feedline).

However, now that I've seen the new channel map I'm not even sure about staying with Shaw. I'm not willing to give up all the wonderful Brit programming on PBS Buffalo, and PBS Detroit has nothing apart from MI5!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tembo, Shaw has just offered refurbished 605s to retailers with a recommended sale price of $69.99. If you haven't already, go to your local retailer and ask if they have any, or any on the way.

If they're trying to charge you any more than $69.99, tell them that you have a source stating they've been purchased at less than $60 (I won't say the exact amount). Also; as of June 15th, retail locations will be able to offer the 630 PVR for free on a 3 year term.

If this doesn't turn out for you, contact me and I will see about getting one for you.

It just depends what you want!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
just the other day, there were plenty in-stock at Best Buy and Future Shop, for both online and in-store pickup orders.

Now...nada...the 605 has disappeared. And I need one (due to component and front clock).

Those stores aren't listing them, at the old or "new" price.
How do we find them - is it a word-of-mouth thing...aka just phone a retailer and they will magically appear via phone call or walk-in only?

I like the $69.95, but so far, I can't find one

·
Registered
810 Posts
Going rate for used 605's on Kijiji in Alberta seems to be 50.00. Maybe try a search in your area.

A used 605 is a low risk on ShawDirect if you have more than one box. You'll be paying the Multi Receiver warranty anyhow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tembo, Shaw has just offered refurbished 605s to retailers with a recommended sale price of $69.99. If you haven't already, go to your local retailer and ask if they have any, or any on the way.

If they're trying to charge you any more than $69.99, tell them that you have a source stating they've been purchased at less than $60 (I won't say the exact amount). Also; as of June 15th, retail locations will be able to offer the 630 PVR for free on a 3 year term.

If this doesn't turn out for you, contact me and I will see about getting one for you.

It just depends what you want!
SomeTech,

Please PM or post when you find out where we can get the refurb 605's for $69

I have two TV's with component in, and would prefer to put new receivers on them (and use the 630's I upgraded to on the main TV's).

I picked up a 600 yesterday so I could put a 505 on one TV and a 630 on another, but I'd rather return the 600 and put two 605's on the HDMI-less TV's.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tembo,

If PBS is your main viewing preference, consider a FTA dish/receiver.

Extensive discussion would be off topic for this thread, so maybe wander over to the FTA forum and do some searching, or send me a PM if you like.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New for $199 (less $125 credit!) or a refurb for $69.99

Thanks SomeTech and tvmaster,

Haven't heard about the $69.99 deal but I do know that suddenly the new 605s are not at BB, FS or The Brick.

Question now is, if the NEW 605s can be found for $199.99 and SD will give a $125 lump-sum credit on customer's account, = net $75, is it worth settling for a refurb to save $5?

I wonder if SD is trying to pull them back from retailers, or is the apparent shortage creating a new demand, "get 'em now or never!".

Certainly we'll never get another set offered with component connections once these go!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks SomeTech and tvmaster,

Haven't heard about the $69.99 deal but I do know that suddenly the new 605s are not at BB, FS or The Brick.

Question now is, if the NEW 605s can be found for $199.99 and SD will give a $125 lump-sum credit on customer's account, = net $75, is it worth settling for a refurb to save $5?

I wonder if SD is trying to pull them back from retailers, or is the apparent shortage creating a new demand, "get 'em now or never!".

Certainly we'll never get another set offered with component connections once these go!
Tembo,

I asked ShawDirect about that yesterday, and it was not available.

As a long time customer, retentions did arrange to swap my 530's to 630's for $99 each, however they had no other options for me for component output.

If I were guessing, the "pull back" of 605's at retailers may be to allow them to blow out refurbs at $69 - which would please me as I'd grab two in a heart beat.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks ftaseeker

I guess the $125 credit email offer from SD was a one off and maybe only achieved through lengthy negotiations.

Because I'm in Elliot Lake, Ontario (where the shopping mall collapsed!) going to check retailers for the 605 was not an option as the nearest is a two hour drive (each way) away!

In the past half-hour I've just bought a new 605 online and expect delivery Tuesday.

Now I'm counting on SD to keep to the agreement as soon as I activate it!

I don't want to post details of where I purchased the 605 but if anyone here need the info please pm me.

Price details: $199.99 $26.92HST $7.10 Enviro Total $234.01, so with the promised SD credit my net cost will be $109.01.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you still have the email, they will likely honor it - keep us up to date.

Meanwhile, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the refurb 605's...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Howdy all,

Sorry about the late reply. I have strong connections within a retail store that will be selling the Shaw reburb 605s at $69.99 each. It's within Ontario, but would definitely be willing to ship if anyone is interested (buyer would have to cover the shipping fees).

I know a lot of Eastern Ontario got the offer for the 605s at the sales meetings that were recently had - so unless the retailer was in attendance, they may or may not have the deal.

Let me know if anyone wants further information on them. They will be in stock on Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New 605 just shipped

Hi Folks,

Dell Canada just shipped the new 605 to us this afternoon, as mentioned in my earlier post. In fact it's already en route via Purolator.

I had hoped to tell everyone about Dell as a source for new 605s but just checked their website and the status is changed to "Temporarily Out Of Stock".

Will update when it arrives and Shaw completes the deal they offered.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
605's

Sometech, is your account too new to allow PM's? If so, can you tell us the retail chain that's going to be releasing these on Mon-Tues....I noted that you only had seven posts (all this week?), and your 'rookie' status as a reason why you may not be able to respond to personal messages. So....who's the seller?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts