Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the thread about the firmware upgrade going on and the DRM issues involved. I know that there isn't an upgrade going to the DSR305 - but I still use one of those.

It's the receiver I use for my Vista Media Center computer (TV input through a Hauppauge tuner card via coaxial cable). Essentially, this setup is for occasionally watching TV and for recording shows.

So, my question is - will my Media Center using a DSR305 as the input be prevented from recording with the DRM stuff coming up now?

I know that when *C goes MPEG-4 it will be obsolete - but I just want to know if I can get a little more life out of this unit as I'm using it now.

So, if anyone can let me know what will and what won't record on my Media Center - I would really appreciate the info. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
There will be no change to the functionality/recording of the 305. Only the current models (207/317/505/530) are receiving the update. However, most programs do not have the broadcast flag enabled (yet) anyway.
The 305 will be around for awhile yet. The mpeg4 transition (probably in 9-12 months) will only involve HD channels.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
That receiver most likely will still output CGMS-A (copy protection), if asked, and MCE may respect that (that I cannot say). I record networks and 500 series cable channels from a 315 and a 421C to my TiVos, and have no problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Just an update - I've been recording a couple of movies off TMN lately, and they seem to be fine.

I'll just continue on as I have been and deal with this issue when it arises - if it does.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the issue has arisen.

I tried to record American Gangster twice over the past week or so, and both times Vista Media Center confirms that it was not recorded because "content was blocked by provider".

So, apparently using my old DSR305 connected to my computer with a coaxial cable won't work for everything.

Anyway, I've been trying to follow this digital rights stuff, but I was hoping I could ask two quick questions...
  1. Is there a way to connect the DSR305 to my computer so content cannot be blocked?
  2. If the answer to the above is no, is there a way to find out what content will be blocked without actually trying to record the show and be disappointed when it doesn't work?

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts