Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It now official the DSR 605 renamed the Advanced HD receiver is on display on the Shaw Direct site. Retail for $199 plus a lame 50$ pay per view for existing customers! Off course new customers can get it for free! :rolleyes: Anybody know if they got some secret deal that you have to beg the CSR to get with this new receiver!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
edited for brevity from today's press release..

Effective November 1, 2010, Shaw Direct's Advanced HD Receiver (HDDSR 605) will give customers more options and more control. The receiver builds on Canada's most advanced HDPVR, which was launched by Shaw Direct in September and offers similar interactive services, such as Dynamic Search Options

The HD Receiver's new On-Screen Guide provides an option for customers to hide the channels they don't subscribe to and makes it easier to navigate these channels with an improved colour-coding system. Customers can also enjoy immediate access to commonly used features and comprehensive information on programs including star ratings. The new technology is MPEG-4 capable, utilizes HDMI connectivity, and allows customers to see up to 14 days forward in the on-screen guide or gain instant access to interactive services, customizable favourite lists and enhanced parental lock options.

The new HD Receiver is available for $199.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I thought and hoped this receiver would not be released until it could utilize an external hard drive. So who knows when and if ever that will be an option for the 605 and the 630. :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
(ext drive) That was my hope too. I dont really see the purpose of an upgrade from 505 to 605 right now.- 200$ to see the guide for 14 days...hmmmm.

But... if they start to migrate HD channels, add an external drive, that would be the point to switch.

·
Registered
478 Posts
This time, I'm waiting for HD migration. The 505 does the job fine for us, for now. We would probably get another 630 before a 605, anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
605 with a PVR

I have read on Shaw's web site that many channels may not record onto an external DVR due to Digital Copy Protection (HDCP). I currently have a 10 year old Shaw (Starchoice) receiver connected to a Pioneer DVR-533 and have no issues recording non-HD programming. If I upgrade to the new HD605 receiver, should I expect problems trying to record to my DVR?

Secondly, does anyone know what the external USB port is for?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
When recording to a DVD recorder, the issue (flag) is CGMS-a (not HDCP), as discussed in the following thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44045

It'd be impossible for us to predict at this time since the STB is not yet available. Also, as indicated in the link, it's specific to the DVD recorder, so unless someone has exactly the same setup, we could not predict. If you did encounter issues, the workaround is outlined in the link provided. I would think that if you don't have any issues now, you won't have any with the new STB, but that's not a guarantee. ;) If you have any additional questions on that topic, please use the linked thread and not this one. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
The DSR605 will most certainly have CGMS-a on it and it DOES indeed block the recordings of certain channels to external DVRs and Media Centre PCs. I have run into this issue on Pay-Per-View, Movie Channels and Sports Channels.

Most of the regular channels seem to record fine but expect this to be an issue on Premium Movie Channels, Pay-Per-View and some sports channels.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
bigoranget: It's a bit off topic for this thread, however, the STB doesn't actually have CGMS-a "on it". It's the programming that has CGMS-a and the STB then "passes" the signal to the recording device, which, will honour the signal if it has that capability.

As you mention, it's mostly the premium programming (not channel) that has CGMS-a, however, we've encountered the signal on other programming as well. You could have one programme on a particular channel that has CGMS-a and another programme could come without.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Report: Broadband based VOD coming this Winter

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/shaw-direct-continues-to-transform-home-entertainment-2010-11-01?reflink=MW_news_stmp

"This winter Shaw Direct will again transform their customers' viewing experiences with the release of a new broadband Video on Demand portal, which will be accessible through all broadband Internet services exclusively to Shaw Direct customers. Customers will be able to access content directly on their computers through a dedicated website."

I believe Bell offers a similar service?
Other features in the works are rumored to include EHD, PVR remote access and networking between 6xx models.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the new receiver get external Hard Drive recording I will definitively take a look at dumping my 305 in the basement and replacing it with the 505 in the bedroom. What I really want and love to get is DNLA server connectivity! Right now I use my PS3 to access my Mediatomb server but to not have to turn the PS3 on just for that would be great. Plus my PS3 could be move somewhere else in the house. Like that game room/office/bar I always say I build someday!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I believe Bell offers a similar service?
Bell VOD Movies are downloaded and stored on the 9141 and 9142 receivers. Shaw "customers will be able to access content directly on their computers through a dedicated website." Sounds like a re-badged Netflix.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Mike. P, I think you are confusing things.

The Shaw Direct VOD direct portal will likely be a rebrand of the current Shaw VOD online portal (which rolled out in mid-june) and is comparable to Bell's Online On-Demand offering where users can log on and watch stuff over the net.

For Bell its been a bust as no one on the Bell forums even mentions it other than to say, tried it and don't use it. Don't see Shaw Cable users discussing much either,

See Shaw Latest to roll out Internet VOD

·
Registered
171 Posts
ALL PROGRAMS AND CHANELS RECORD ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON MY BELL 6130 AND 6131. iF AND WHEN s
SHAW CAN DO THE SAME WITH THE 605 I WILL SWITCH since Shaw is more user friendly when I am traveling in my RV.
Sorry about the capitals - key was locked.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does the 605 have a 2nd TV Out on it to feed a TV in another room like the 505 & 530 did?
The 630 doesn't, so my fear is the 605 will not. If that's the case I have no desire to buy this unit.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Ethernet port got so much possibility. Too bad it never going to be really used the way I would like to because of freaking DRM. You could stream the TV feed to any DNLA media server in your network. Or use a NAS as an external PVR. Hell with that USB port I could plug an external drive and create that NAS saving me the need to run another dedicated media server. Instead it probably never going to be used much for anything but to download the TV guide. Let face it their no way in hell that am spending my Internet cap to buy VOD movie off Shaw! Unless they have a way to send the movie via the dish I don't see it taking off. This is where Bell Fibe TV will have a big competitive advantage over Netflix and other VOD one might even say an unfair advantage. Net neutrality is officially dead!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Does the 605 have a 2nd TV Out on it to feed a TV in another room like the 505 & 530 did?
The 630 doesn't, so my fear is the 605 will not. If that's the case I have no desire to buy this unit.
it does have the following outs

HDMI
HD Component out (Y/Pb/Pr)
Composite video (Yellow)
Digital Optical Audio (Toslink)
Stereo Audio (Red and White)

What you can do is get an RF Modulator converting Yellow, red and white to coax, costs around $15

From reviews of the 630, all the outputs are active, I would guess that it's the same for the 605

1 - 20 of 55 Posts