Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSL Speed Available at my house problem

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ScaryBob 
#1 ·
DSL Speed Available at my house problem

Here it is,

At my location, there is only two dsl program from bell available (according to Bell website)

One is 2Mb (essential plus) and the other is 7mb (performance) no fibe available.

Actually, I have the slowest DSL essentiel plus.

Last year, I was offered the Performance (7Mb) dsl speed.
The tech even let me test it, and I could acheived the 7mb dsl speed.
But I refused it st that time, cause for the cost, my needs was not there.

This March, I chatted, and called them, to test again, before I put the order in to switch to higher dsl speed the 7Mb (called Performance),

But the maximum they now get is 3Mb. ???????
How come last year 7Mb worked fine and now only 3Mb !??

I also had it tested in different days and time (4 total now)
and never better than 3Mb

How is this possible ???

I decided to call distribuel that also offers DSL 6, to have them test the max speed they could offer me and the tech told me 5Mb max. after testing

So I am completely lost of what is going on ???

My friends live in a very smallest village near by, and he gets the 7Mb speed.

Can't believe that the Bell Dsl speed offer at my location is now physically lower than last year.

Note: Fibe 7 was also offer last year, and is now removed for my location internet offer !!!!! ???

Any info or thoughts about this issue ! (I am stuck with 2Mb now)

See less See more
#2 ·
Your story is very typical (except for the 7 test, which may have not been accurate). Many people report 3 depending on their distance. Bell always say "up to" and quite a few people end up not getting it. There are many previous similar threads.

Marketplace did a piece on this a while back and Bell consistently missed their DSL claims, by a lot.

#5 ·
A more qualified tech support finaly confirmed me that the 7mb speed not available anymore at my location, for good, until upgrade from Bell.
that could take months or more likely years....

So the best way for me to get faster speed than my Bell DSL 2mb, is to leave Bell and go for Cable Internet,

Distributel, Radio-Actif, or Videotron....

Will see...

:mad:

#6 ·
8ell of course resevres the right so that you must pay in gold bullion if they so deem in their billing schemme.

But to achive the speed they adverstive well , thats not obligatory for them,---- as you aint payin in bullion yet ...:( plus extra charge for real electron passing wire ... ;)

#7 ·
So the best way for me to get faster speed than my Bell DSL 2mb, is to leave Bell and go for Cable Internet
That's what I did. Possible explanations for the reduced speed are lack of available DSL capacity or lines from the nearest CO. Uusually, it's just Bell overseeling their product though. If downgrading, beware of reduced bandwidth and extra charges which can increase the cost substantially. You could end up paying twice as much on the slower plan. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.