Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I am looking to buy a used drywall lift to install 9 sheets of 4x8 drywall to my basement ceiling. I can buy a new one for around $300,but would prefer a used one ,as I won't be doing any more drywall on any ceiling soon after this job. I can rent also,but I want to take my time and do it alone. Anyone have one for sale? Thanks,Huck p.s. There is one on Kijjiji,but no reponses from the owner yet.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I can rent also,but I want to take my time and do it alone.
Rental is an option if you want to do the work in one day. After that it can cost more than buying used and selling later (or even buying new and selling.) In this case, paying a couple of able bodied friends or relatives to lift the sheets in place might also be cheaper.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi: I work slowww,so renting one is not an option for me. I like to take my time and do it right the first time. Never hung drywall in my life,especially on a 12'x24' ceiling. Planning to use Genie Clips mounted to joists and furring channeling mounted to clips,5/8" drywall mounted to furring channel, Roxul Safe-n- Sound between joists,all for soundproofing. Thanks,Huck

·
Registered
382 Posts
Can't point you to where you can buy one, but if you do and want to sell it after you're done, I'd be interested if you're in the GTA. Right now, I'm busy rerouting plumbing and electrical lines in my basement so that I can avoid having to do a drop ceiling. PM me if you'd like to discuss.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Seems like a rare item to find on kijiji. If you don't find one, Princessauto sells one for less than what you noted. SKU# is 8251423.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was one on Kijiji,placed in August. Inquired and was told it was sold,why he didn't remove his ad is beyond me! Rona has one for a little more than Princess....still lookin for a used one,no hurry! Huck

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe,but I need something that folds up with a small foot-print and be able to fit in my trunk. Thanks,Huck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Slightly unrelated perhaps, but you might consider using the least expensive R19 insulation available to you. If S&S is the cheapest, then go for it. All low/medium density insulations work similarly. Paying more for exotic insulation does not get you greater acoustic control.

Also, you might consider a second sheet of drywall. The added mass will significantly lower the resonance point of the ceiling assembly. Just make sure the clips you're discussing can hold the load...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts