Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best setup for dropping Bell phone? Any suggestions appreciated.

Currently we're paying $70 monthly for local phone service, and for high speed DSL. It seems like a lot of money for what we're getting now that VOIP home phone is becoming more standard.

Is it better to have a dry loop DSL or go with cable?

$25 monthly seems like a lot of money for a local phone line from Bell, considering now what a VOIP service costs. With a service like voip.ms I could get a phone line for local and long distance which costs 10 monthly on average.

What surprised me was the extra $10 / mo quoted by my current DSL company for dry loop ... $10 extra for a service you DON'T get.
The problem is with Bell's control over the phone lines I guess.

Doesn't that make a strong case for going with cable internet from Rogers and just DROPPING Bell and their phone lines?

Or is getting a DSL dry loop from a company like Teksaavy worth it somehow?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My suggestion is try VoIP.ms or VoIP provider of your choice for a few months. If it works and you like it, then switch to Rogers Internet and VoIP.

If after two months you don't like it, you aren't out a lot money.

The worse thing you can do is switch and then find out you made the wrong decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rogers over dry loop dsl?

I have just set up my new SIP # on voip.ms .I agree it's worth a try and I'm not out much money for the trial run. Minimum payment to voip.ms is $25, but should last a while! My ATA for $60 is the larger cost in this trial run. I hopefully eventually it can replace my regular Bell line ?

So you recommend going with rogers cable internet over a dryloop DSL?

Rogers is $46.99 /mo for 10mbps down, 512k up, and 60G cap.

Teksaavy DSL is $ 31.95 + $10 dry loop for 5mbps down, 800 up, and 200G cap.

Seems like DSL gets you a larger cap, but slower download speed.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The ISP you choose is your choice. Again my advice is stay with Bell and see how it performs. TechSavvy is simply reselling Bell so you know how Bell will perform.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just to be technically accurate, TekSavvy is not simply a reseller. They actually operate most of their own network infrastructure. The only portion of the network owned by Bell is from the user's home to 151 Front. Anything beyond Toronto (or Vancouver if you're in the west) is all up to TekSavvy. TekSavvy does not buy internet traffic from Bell. They buy it from carriers like Cogent, Peer1, etc.

dimeotane, you're correct that TekSavvy's plans have a larger transfer cap but slower download speed. However they also have a slightly higher upload speed which may be useful for VoIP. What you choose can really come down to personal preference - either will likely work well for you.

m.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Rogers is $46.99 /mo for 10mbps down, 512k up, and 60G cap.

Teksaavy DSL is $ 31.95 + $10 dry loop for 5mbps down, 800 up, and 200G cap.

Seems like DSL gets you a larger cap, but slower download speed.
Don't forget Teksavvy cable. $42.95 for 10 down, 1 up and 200GB cap. Assuming they are in your region. Or be patient and they should be everywhere in Ontario by October, I believe.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I feel a need to dump my Bell services as well. I'd love to get rid of a land line all together. Do they really may sense any longer? Why does anyone need completely separate hardware and service to have a phone in your house? The obvious answer is the prohibitive cost of cell phones. I was thinking some sort of a IP based phone where you could setup call forwarding from the cell. I haven't dug very deep yet but it sounds easy enough.

Maybe it's too early to break all the Bell bonds but we are currently paying over $50 a month for a home phone which makes me cringe when I think about it. Teksavvy may be an interim option.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
^^^^
Actually, you can forward to any phone from your cell phone. I do that already. I have my cell phone configured to forward any unanswered calls to my home phone. It doesn't matter how the home phone gets there, so long as it has a valid number.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dropping bell landline

I'm also thinking of dropping the Bell land line and give Cogeco a try. My question is :

Will I be able to keep my Bell Internet Service if I switch to Cogeco Home Phone?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Teksavvy may be an interim option.
Is Teksavvy just an IP phone provider, or do they offer to take over the landlines as well.?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Will I be able to keep my Bell Internet Service if I switch to Cogeco Home Phone?
Yes, it is possible. What you need is called a "dry loop" for your Bell Internet. There may be an extra fee for this but I don't think so - I think it's just the resellers and wholesalers that charge a dry loop fee. (Telus doesn't in the west.)

If it is important that you do not have any downtime, you should order your dry loop first. Be sure it is working properly (you will have two internet connections) and then switch to Cogeco.

If you would rather save some money, arrange for the switch to dry loop to be on the same day as your Cogeco install. This will result in theoretically no downtime, but Bell is unpredictable.

You should also mention to Cogeco that you have and want to keep ADSL, since there is a special technique their installer will need to use in order to set things up.

You could also see if Cogeco will give you a better price if you get both phone and internet from them.

Is Teksavvy just an IP phone provider, or do they offer to take over the landlines as well.?
Teksavvy's primary business is internet access, however they do offer phone service as well. I believe that they resell Bell phone service and it is not an IP-based product.

m.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thank you Mango for the great response

I already have Cogeco Cable TV and I'd love to go all Cogeco but I had Cogeco Internet 7 years ago and I had issues. I don't know if they are any better now but I'm happy with Bell Internet Service.

No downtime is required since I work from home, I'll have to think about it and decide

Thanks again

·
Registered
129 Posts
One thing to note, make sure you don't port your number out before setting yup your new connection. If you port your phone number out and don't have a dry loop or cable connection setup you will loose your internet service since there is no longer any internet service. Another thing to note too is if you do setup a dry loop before you cancel your old number bell usually puts it on the second pair coming to your home so you will have to do a little re-wiring to get it to work, as bell no longer does any work past the demarc.

I believe the main reason too for bell charging a dryloop fee is that it is part of your phone bill for maintenance/upgrades but when you no longer have that they are no longer collecting that from you so they charge it in the way of a fee for dryloop. I believe Bell does charge their customers too for a dryloop because years ago I had inquired about that and they didn't even know what a dryloop was at the time. (At that time bell could not figure out why someone would want internet without phone service...)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts