Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Strange question but I found that House didn't record this week and checked the season pass for that show and Hell's Kitchen were dropped from the PVR. Noticed a new show Being Erica added instead. The other strange thing is that the guide only goes through next Friday and then nothing.

Do you think there is there something wrong with the guide data or some wrong with my PVR?

There is only two people in the house so I am pretty sure that nothing was changed. Could have accidentally added Being Erica but not likely we dropped two different shows from season pass by accident.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Must be a guide issue. Looks like the guide is showing past 10/30 now and the shows guide information seems to be changing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
And then there's "The National"

I had "The National" set up as a series recording, keeping the latest two, which worked fine until recently. Now the PVR doesn't find any upcoming "The National" programs to record. Other series, new and old, are fine. I've tried setting it on CBC-SD, CBCNN, and the preferred CBC-HD - none of which work for series recording. Weird. For now, I'm setting individual recordings and deleting accordingly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've started noticing series recordings are irregular and I'm missing the odd show. Sometimes it shows up in "Future Recordings" but to "not record" even though I haven't done anything to tell it not to record. I'm thinking this is something that just started occurring after the last firmware upgrade but I don't have anything to prove this. By the way this is only happening on the Motorola box - not on the Pace box - hence my suspicion about the firmware update. Anyone else?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've started noticing series recordings are irregular and I'm missing the odd show. Sometimes it shows up in "Future Recordings" but to "not record" even though I haven't done anything to tell it not to record. I'm thinking this is something that just started occurring after the last firmware upgrade but I don't have anything to prove this. By the way this is only happening on the Motorola box - not on the Pace box - hence my suspicion about the firmware update. Anyone else?
I have had two instances in the past two weeks of series recordings being missed on my Motorola 6416 III. In both cases, the recording was listed in the PVR Future Recordings prior to the scheduled time and in both cases the recording (or should I say non recording) is listed in the PVR History as "Not recorded due to a cancellation by the system".

The were no recording conflicts in either instance and in both cases the programs have recorded properly in prior and subsequent weeks. I am at a loss as to what a "cancellation by the system" entails. I have inquired to Shaw about this but have not received an explanation.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I experienced this last Tuesday/Wednesday for some reason as well with about 5 recordings. I set up a new series recording and it engaged fine so i cancelled the new series I had set up and everything has worked fine since. I go in and check my future recordings at the beginning of each week looking for conflicts and "don't record" icons just to make sure it's recording everything it's supposed to.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Today I deleted all of my series recordings and re-set them all to see what will happen. In doing this I note that one series which occurs on two different channels only seem to take effect on the channel I set it up for, despite telling it to record on all channels (Midsomer Mysteries on Knowledge and Book channels). I went back in and set up a separate series recording for the other channel and it accepted it. Could it be that in the program guide, the show's name is somehow encoded differently? The spelling appears to be identical in the one I mentioned but it just isn't being seen by the Motorola 6416 III.

·
Registered
163 Posts
...and then there's The National - Again

As per Constant Garden above (Oct20) my series recording for The National simply stopped about 2-3 weeks ago. Under Settings/PVR/Series recordings it still showed as in place. I cancelled it and reset it a number of times but to no avail. Settings shows it as being in place but it just records the one broadcast that I attempt to set up the series recording on. I am having no problem with any other series recording on CBC or any other channel.

Shaw Guru: Do you have any insight into this? The PVR that will not set up the series recording is a 6416 III, however I can set it up on a 3416 I

·
Registered
20 Posts
...and then there's The National - Again...again

Count me in on the problems with recording "The National". For me the problem just started yesterday. I have deleted the series recording a couple of times and created a new one, but it just won't work. I even tried it on CBCNN with the same result. In the mean time I set up a manual recording for everyday. Interestingly the PVR History showed that yesterday's recording was cancelled by a user which in not true.

All my other series recordings seem to be working fine. For what its worth I have a 6412 PIII. Not sure what's up, but if anyone has a clue it would be nice to know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
And then there's The National - revisited

Today there was a lot of "To Be Announced" on the guide - it looked like the box had been reset. Feeling foolish, I set "The National" as a series recording once again, and now the nightly news appears correctly in "future recordings". Firmware update? Guide fix?

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
Might I suggest you use timed based instead of name based recording for "The National".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Might I suggest you use timed based instead of name based recording for "The National".
Did that, and it works for most nights except when The National get shifted due to a hockey game or some other program.

I have a question about manual recordings conflicting with a series recording. If I have two series recordings scheduled at the same time as a manual recording, will the manual recording take priority over the one of the series recordings, or will the manual recording be dropped?

I set "The National" as a series recording once again, and now the nightly news appears correctly in "future recordings".
Constant Garden, thanks for posting that, I will give it a shot tonight.

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
Try recording "The National" on CBC News Channel- same time every night- Or do you want it in HD?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Did that, and it works for most nights except when The National get shifted due to a hockey game or some other program.

I have a question about manual recordings conflicting with a series recording. If I have two series recordings scheduled at the same time as a manual recording, will the manual recording take priority over the one of the series recordings, or will the manual recording be dropped?

Constant Garden, thanks for posting that, I will give it a shot tonight.
A manual recording takes priority over any series recording and will always be recorded first. After that any series recordings will be recorded based on the series priority assigned and the lower ones will be dropped if tuners are already in use recording other manual or higher priority programs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the info Shaw Guru. My PVR was reset yesterday (not by me) and the manual recording was deleted. I didn't expect that, but I took the opportunity to see if a series recording of 'The National' would work again like it did for Constant Garden. It actually worked!! All is right with the world again, just not sure why this happened in the first place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Season recordings won't work for Daily Show & Colbert (DCX3400)

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the software on these Shaw boxes - I had a season recording set up for both the Daily Show and Colbert Report for a few weeks, but it stopped recognizing shows from next week onwards.

After tweaking the settings through all the options with no results, I deleted the failed season recordings & tried to set up new ones. None of the mixes of recording options would make it recognize the shows - even the "all with duplicates" option.

The oddest thing is that I have a nightly recording for the Late Late show (loves me my Fergermeister!) which is rock solid.

I can't even go in and set-up a recurring manual recording for an hour on that channel every weeknight either because the Shaw software is so functionally limited.

This is a relatively new (< 3 months) 3400 Motorola box, which I was tempted to switch over from Bell for. I *really* miss the Bell menu software - its level of sophistication in comparison to the Shaw software should be a deep embarrasment to Shaw.

Does anyone have any ideas, before I give up and call Shaw support?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Someone just (today) kindly posted instructions on creating a manual recurring recording, so I tried doing that. Bit of a clunky approach, though.

The new manual recording shows up on the future recordings - probably because there's no rules to follow as to whether to record or not. KISS.

It's a work-around that will work for now, but I can't wait for Shaw to get a clue and get some real, functional, modern, usable menu software...

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm getting pretty frustrated with the software on these Shaw boxes - I had a season recording set up for both the Daily Show and Colbert Report for a few weeks, but it stopped recognizing shows from next week onwards.
Does anyone have any ideas, before I give up and call Shaw support?
I would suggest going in and clearing out the "PVR History" for that specific show. Sadly there is no "bulk delete" option, but it fixed exactly the same problem that I was having recording Oprah for my wife.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts