1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I like the show except for that obnoxious O'Leary.

Its a good example of how the rich get richer at the expense of entrepreneurs.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's his main goal in life: make as much money as possible, and die before he gets a remote chance to spend it all. :)

I see him as a reality check. Many pitchers forget that you need to make money in order to keep your investors happy. If your business can't make any money, and you don't realize this, Kevin steps in for the kill.

It's a hard lesson to learn especially on television, but it is a fact of business. There's no getting away from it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
O'Leary way of speaking is his trade mark. Since I know him from ReportOnBusiness tv 10 years ago, he didn't changed; he is doing that even with CEO of big companies.
I tried to see the show airing on BBC but it is region block. Anyone knows if those BBC shows are available somewhere on the internet? That franchise is probably one of the best reality show.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Kind of loosely related... when is DD going to be in real HD? So far the past seasons have only been WS SD.
It has been in real HD for some time now--there are some exceptions, though. Last night's DD was in real HD except for the last segment with the sports car.

·
Registered
725 Posts
It has been in real HD for some time now--there are some exceptions, though. Last night's DD was in real HD except for the last segment with the sports car.
Not true, at least not in Vancouver. Yes, the image quality is not bad for WS SD (the camera must've been HD but somewhere along the way it was transfered to WS SD). Take a close look at anybody's eye-glasses frame when the head is moving. You'll notice jagged edges not 1 step per HD pixel but 1 step per SD pixel. That's the easiest to notice. For other viewers with eagle eyes like I do, it's relatively easy to notice lighting reflections from people's eyes not quite HD-clear.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I understand last nite's episode was a re-run from last summer, but I wonder when was that episode shot because I'm so surprised noone mentioned about Groupon during the pitch from those teambuy.ca folks.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Not true, at least not in Vancouver. Yes, the image quality is not bad for WS SD (the camera must've been HD but somewhere along the way it was transfered to WS SD). Take a close look at anybody's eye-glasses frame when the head is moving. You'll notice jagged edges not 1 step per HD pixel but 1 step per SD pixel. That's the easiest to notice. For other viewers with eagle eyes like I do, it's relatively easy to notice lighting reflections from people's eyes not quite HD-clear.
I have a 10 foot screen with my front projector, and it looks HD to my eyes. As I mentioned in my post, last weeks show was HD except for the last guy with the fancy sports car, which was in blurry SD. I watch the Toronto feed of DD on Shaw, but I don't see why they would downgrade it for the Vancouver feed 3 hours later.

·
Registered
725 Posts
^^^^
With your 10' screen you should be able to notice the ringing artifact from a sharpening filter for SD picture (hint: look into the left-most vertical edge of the screen). Whether CBC mistakenly adds SD filter to an HD signal or the signal has been indeed downgraded to SD somewhere along the way (more likely IMO), the fact is the end result picture is not as good as any other real HD picture CBC puts on. I have screenshots for illustration but I think this is getting off topic.

·
Banned
320 Posts
I like the show except for that obnoxious O'Leary.

Its a good example of how the rich get richer at the expense of entrepreneurs.
Heh, are you kidding? He's the best part. :)

Anyway, this show is definitely the best Canadian show (with new episodes ongoing) on TV right now. I rarely watch TV anymore but this is continually one of my favorites that I always try to catch. If only those losers at Global and CTV could get the courage to make shows like this, I'd watch them.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I actually stopped watching it last year, not because it isn't any good anymore (it's still very good), but because after watching it since its first season, I've pretty much seen it all. For me, it's now a bit repetitive.

But for those who only started watching it, definitely keep watching! You'll learn a lot from this show.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts