Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be in a catch22 situation with my wife's new Hewlett Packard Windows 7 64bit computer. The transfer of files from her old XP OS computer to the new HP went very well with few problems. Included in the transfer, using Windows Easy Transfer program and USB special cable (WET) Included was the filesd for Dragon Naturally Speaking (DNS). It takes some time to set up the files to recognize her speech patterns etc.
The other various programs such as printer/scanner installed easily and are working correctly. Re installing DNS has proved to be another boondoggle. Part way thru the install a popup box informed us that before it can be installed the existing program needs to be uninstalled. WTF ??? OK, we try to uninstall using DNS's own uninstall program on the disc which fails part way thru. Then we tried Add/remove in control panel and ADD/Remove Pro, another downloaded removal tool. Both attempts end up part way thru with popups indicating it cannot continue because of various missing files or other problems (depending on whether we use REPAIR, MODIFY or REMOVE). So I email DNS website found using Google. They reply that they are retail sales only and dump us off to a 3rd party help site that wants $38 if they succeed in helping us. another WTF!!!
In desperation we supply my wife's Visa #. The fast response is to download a FREE program called Revo Uninstaller which we already have. No joy there either and I tell 3rd party to NOT cash Visa since problem still exists. The parent company Nuance Communications Inc. takes our money and closes the door. So I email the CEO in Europe (Denmark?) and tear a strip off his butt. No reply yet and no I was not really nasty. Just asked if anyone at senior management really cares once they have our money etc.
So here we sit. Next step may be to bite the bullet and purchase Windows 7 Pro which has an XP setting I understand. Would that allow us to install our legit XP OS and install DNS there? DNS worked with only a few hangups on old XP machine. It was locking up the system now and then but except for that frustration my wife was able to continue using the computer. I know there is a Windows 7 speech recognition program but my wife has only had her hands on new system for just over a day and we would prefer to get DNS working first. sailmaker

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sorry can't read your post. You may wish to consider using paragraphs when you post.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dragon Naturally Speaking

Hugh, what can't you read? I have clarified certain words or phrases and separated into paragraphs. If this is not your problem could you please clarify. My wife really needs this program to work. The parent company is Nuance Comminications, an oxymoron if I ever heard or saw one. It is truly a case of "don't call us and we sure won't be calling you".:mad:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
DNS is a useless pain in you know where.
The windows 7 one is way better, i sugest you try it. Or at least look into it while trying to get a hold of DNS

1.Open Speech Recognition by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Speech Recognition.

2.Click Take Speech Tutorial.

3.Follow the instructions in the Speech Recognition tutorial.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Hugh, what can't you read?
I see you've added a bit of paragraphing. FWIW, One big long post with no breaks, a ton of WTF and punctuation marks is just too difficult to read and follow so I avoid them.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I will have to answer my own question. Windows 7 has a free speech to actions program that comes built in. My wife went thru the learning procedure this afternoon to what seems to be complete success. So Dragon and parent company Nuance (non)Communications can go you-know-where.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jake: Yes talljak certainly does ... consider a virtual bottle of Jack Daniels on its way ... but I am surprised that the fact free speech to action program exists on W7 is not publicized more. I remember my wife training first on Dragon 9 ($129) and again on Dragon 11 premium ($200) and how she had to repeat certain phrases and words many times before Dragon got it right. W7 kept up with her 99.9% of the time, first time. Time will tell how robust it is. sailmaker :)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Sailmaker, you probably found it already but Control Panel > Ease of Access in Windows 7 has a number of options to provide help for people who have difficulty using the conventional Windows interface.

I would not purchase Win7 Pro for the WinXP emulator. It has limitations for all but simple programs and interfaces. I purchased Pro and rarely use the extra features. Not worth the price IMHO. If you need an emulator, VirtualBox is as good or better than the one included with Win7 Pro. It just doesn't include a ready made WinXP image.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts