Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Downton Abbey' Season 4 to Premiere Sunday, January 5, 2014 on PBS

Season four of PBS's hit Downton Abbey will premiere Sunday, January 5, 2014. PBS topper Paula Kerger announced the return date during PBS day at the TCAs. The show will debut in England several months earlier.

Source.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Anyone know on what BEV channel # this show is to air? I searched on my BEV 9242 PVR and there is no mention of a Season 4 Ep 1 show. I believe PBS is part of everyone's standard package with BEV.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
810 Posts
Try going to pbs.org and selecting the local PBS channel you get with your Bell service.

And try searching for Masterpiece in the title info on your Bell receiver, then see what channel comes up for January 5th.

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Downton Abbey may display in the guide as Masterpiece Classic. These are the Bell Satellite channels that carry it:

284 WGBH
819 WGBHDT
1204 WGBHDT
291 KCTS
824 KCTSDT
1214 KCTSDT

·
Registered
840 Posts
For those with Shaw cable in the west KCTS has it at 9pm PST and WTVS (eastern feed) has it at 6pm PST all on Jan 5 .

·
Super Moderator
16,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My spelling is correct. It is 'Downton Abbey', not Downtown. (That's a common misunderstanding BTW).

·
Registered
810 Posts
Best spelling version I've seen was a fella on another web site asking where he could find "Down Town Abby" to record for his wife.

:)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Spoiler Alert

I find Downton Abbey to be a real quality show with good acting and writing. However, I can't figure out why Anna would not come forward about being raped by Mr.Green, a visiting valet. I realize that they didn't have DNA tests in the 1920s but she suffered a cut lip and bruises during the attack so Green couldn't say that the sex was consensual.
Anna told Mrs.Hughes that if she told her husband Bates, he would kill Green and would be charged with murder etc.so she decided to say she fell and hurt her face.
Apparently, the rape scene caused a big uproar in the U.K. when it was first broadcast. The producers defended this by saying that female staff were occasionally sexually assaulted by their employers and male staff members and to not mention this would not give an accurate portrayal as the way things were in those days.
BTW What if she becomes pregnant from the encounter?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That's the reason though...she's worried Bates will kill him. Also this is the 20s, and odds of getting a prosecution are pretty slim and she risks her reputation.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Here's some things...I'll include the link but it does include spoilers:

Anna's rape, on the other hand, was not only completely lacking in the plausibility of empowerment, but also completely ignored the subsequent realities of the event in her historical setting in favor of focusing effects of Anna's experience on the increasingly sympathetic character of Anna's husband, Mr. Bates. In terms of historical accuracy, it is fair to argue that Anna would have been essentially silenced by her position in society and it is not unrealistic that she would be upset by how the incident will make her husband feel. However, her reaction quickly took a backseat to Mr. Bates' distress, as the pathos almost instantly shifted to internal struggle over why his wife is upset in the first place. source (spoilers) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lauren-duca/scandal-rape-downton-rape_b_4282109.html

And from Slate

If “Downton” was a different sort of show—one that didn’t offer its history lessons only in tidy packages—this might be a chance to see more of the texture of life for female servants in 1920s England, where rape was prevalent and options for recourse were slim.

And, saving the best for last, this from the actress herself:

The actress also discussed the likelihood of Mr Green being brought to justice, adding: ‘This is something I wanted to know myself, because as a modern woman you want the character to tell somebody. Please tell somebody, and let the character get his comeuppance.

‘But our historic adviser talked me through remembering being a woman in that time period, and all a woman had was her reputation and that was it. If she lost her reputation she lost everything – her job, her husband, her family.

‘And in those days unfortunately the public still had the mindset of “There’s no smoke without fire”, “He’s a man he can’t control himself”, all things we in this day and age find repulsive to think of. But for Anna there’s so much at stake.’
http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/22/downton-abbeys-joanne-froggatt-rape-storyline-wasnt-just-for-viewing-figures-4156137/

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks for your input,PFD. In many historical novels I've read, rape was casually dismissed as,"He had his way with her." etc.
Things have certainly changed since those days with the advent of DNA tests. Me and my wife like to watch true crime dramas such as "Dateline" and "48 Hours." I've lost count on how many times this happens: A woman is found dead after a brutal sexual assault. The police interview a suspect who vehemently denies killing the woman or even knowing her. Then, the predictable bombshell is dropped on the suspect when the detectives ask, "How do you explain that your DNA was found on her body?" Next, the murderer backtracks and says, "Yeah, we had sex but it was consensual and I said I didn't know her 'cause I'm married." "But I swear on my mother's grave that I didn't kill that girl!" He's often convicted when they also find her blood on his clothing or shoes.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Could any Brit explain why the characters keep saying that they are, "going to go UP to London in the morning" when Yorkshire is quite north of London?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks PFD. I guess the railway explanation was the one that made the most sense but it still is rather confusing. I couldn't get my wife to watch the series because after the first ten minutes she said that there were too many characters to keep track of and she couldn't understand the servants' accent.
BTW: I was born in Lancashire and have no trouble understanding the Yorkshire accent. I came to Canada with my parents over sixty years ago and I'm proud to be a Canadian. My mum used to use a few Yorkshire phrases such as: If thi goin' to do owt fer nowt, do it fer thi sen. (If you are going to do something for nothing, do it for yourself)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't think that the accents on Downton Abbey are too hard to follow. I grew up on a steady dose of Monty Python, though....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts