Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
wow my heart goes out to you. have you tried calling in and asking to speak directly with the retentions department. Usually they will light a fire under the appropriate person's butt to get things happening. They are required to save as many customer's as possible. I would be demanding to be put on another 1 year awesome promotion when and if this is ever fixed. Keep us posted

·
Registered
757 Posts
Damn, I was hoping for some good news.

I'm baffled how another tech was sent out. All we have to do is tick a simple check box to send it over to the cable dept :confused:

Understandable that you want to switch, but hopefully they take care of you to make you want to stay. IPTV's better than cable anyway :p

Based on your confidence in the outside cable, I hope they'll be able to say something like "we found the source of the problem and have had a new section of cable spliced in."

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh, I know it's better TV - I've been with Shaw and with Bell. I'm usually reasonably happy with MTS... except when it doesn't work, and they don't seem to know how to fix it.

My biggest problem is that they keep saying "tomorrow" for a fix... they did it back in October, and they are doing it now. If they had just said "it will take a week" back on Sunday, we could have made other arrangements for the week and I would have been better with the situation. What this makes it look like to me is that they don't know HOW to fix it... or worse yet, that they CAN'T fix it. I don't want to have to wait 2 weeks without any services to find out they can't deliver what I had before, and have to book an installation from elsewhere then.

Today is their deadline with me, I think.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mozza - You are not alone in your thinking that your situation is unacceptable. I totally understand your position and would be just as fustrated. Thankfully I have not had an experience like your's and am hoping for a sucessful resolution for you.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've had two calls from MTS this morning on my cell - the first was checking to confirm that my services were up and running last night... which of course they weren't. The second, coming about 40 minutes later, was a call to confirm that a cable crew had been dispatched to my area and that they would be working on the line, hoping to fix it by... tomorrow at the latest.

It reminds me of the movie "The Money Pit", except instead of always hearing "Two weeks! Two weeks!", it's "Tomorrow! Tomorrow!"...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Day 6 update - my dial tone is on and off, as is my internet and TV apparently. Now they are claiming it's an "inside" problem, which I doubt... but I have an appointment for Saturday morning to see what they can do.

I'm hoping for an entire month's credit.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
That is totally unacceptable in this day and age.

You have far more patience than me Mozza...I would have new Internet and TV by day 2...no matter what they said.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Did MTS Resolve the problem yet?
Was fixed on Friday morning - they did not need to come into the home. Apparently they did replace a length of cable, so we'll see if it stays up.

I was credited the cost of two weeks worth of service (approx. $85).

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hope that you don't have "tree rats" causing the problem because it may come back again.

For some reason squirrels like eating the insulation on the lines.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I hope that you don't have "tree rats" causing the problem because it may come back again.

For some reason squirrels like eating the insulation on the lines.
I enjoy eating squirrels, so I guess it's a fair trade. ;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Not sure if the guy was being sarcastic but I heard the electricity arouses them. Sounds funny and all but maybe it's true?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It's happening again. Phone line static and random dialing, internet up and down, TV cutting in and out, home alarm showing errors...

Obviously this is all caused by rain. Any rain longer than 4 hours, and it happens. Oh, that and strong wind. Oh, and spring thaws. Oh, and fall frosts. Oh, and ANYTHING FACKING THING ELSE.

I have a call in. Soonest they'll be out in Wednesday. I'm ready to start a pool here to bet on when it will actually get fixed (temporarily, of course). My bet is on June 1st. Anyone else?

If it goes past Wednesday, I'm requesting a permanent discount on services, or a fee-free cut of all my services (including cell) to switch to Shaw/Rogers. They can't seem to deliver the promised services to my residence reliably... so I would assume they can't charge me to cancel everything now, seeing as they are all bundled?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Somewhere along the line there is a wet splice or something has opened up the outer cable sheath and is allowing water to come in.

Sounds like the last time you had problems they eventually moved you to a different working pair to restore service. Sometimes what happens is you will be put back on a pair that has dried out (previous customer had your problem too but now tests OK) and when it gets wet the problem comes back.

What needs to happen is MTS cable maintenance to scope the line to find the bad part and either rebuild the splice or replace the cable. If the cable is underground it takes longer as they have to dig in the easement that runs through everybody's property, and some people get perturbed when they see a trencher going through their flower bed next to the MTS pedestal.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just wondering if MTS has got you back into service yet? Its suppose to be wet again this weekend so it will be a good check

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I never heard back from MTS. My services started working later that evening on their own. They were supposed to come out on Wednesday, but never got any word from them.

Woke up this morning to the same crackling dial-tone and lack of services... but an hour later, they seem to be working. I would assume all it is is the line drying out after the rain... so no, I don't think they've completely fixed it.

I should get a "raincheck" for my services after every shower!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Rain again, down again. Back up this morning... for 20 minutes. Then down. Then up!

MTS employees - when I call in to complain this morning (the tech on the phone was very nice last night, mind you... but no one higher-up was in)... who do I ask for? Supervisor? Manager? Overlord?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You definitely have it worse than me. I was down for a solid hour last night between 8 and 9. DSL light on the Actiontec modem was flashing non-stop instead of solid.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Came home from work to find everything completely down - no dial tone at all (not static like this morning), and nothing going for TV or internet. My home alarm beeps loudly every hour now that it doesn't have a phone line attached. Sleeping will be great tonight.

As it is, I'm tethering on my phone - the only MTS service of mine that still works.

MTS says they will be around to fix it... tomorrow... maybe. This will be visit number 5 for them, if they actually come. I wonder how much it costs them to keep sending techs out to not fix anything? Maybe I'll call again and have them come out for a beer and BBQ. Seems a waste for them to come for any other reason, seeing as nothing actually gets fixed. If it doesn't rain, maybe we can watch the Stanley Cup game 1 together. If it does rain, maybe we'll just listen to it on the radio instead.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Depending on your alarm system there is a code that will silence the trouble condition beep.

On my DSC system it is the # key. If that does not work and your system is monitored call the central station, and they should be able to look up their manual for your system type and tell you what the code is.

Unfortunately they can not enter the code for you remotely.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts