Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to add a back-up camera to the gps, and have something the little fella could watch movies on.

is there such an animal?

·
Registered
700 Posts
The only input on the Nuvi line is the mini-usb jack. You can look at JPG images (photos) which you can load onto an SD card, however, I have yet to see a Nuvi with video playback built in

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Garmin - don't know.
Pioneer - AVIC line has all that you're looking for, including input for backup camera, SD or iPod/iPhone video playback. However, it's a built-in unit; not sure if you're looking for a standalone unit (?). Is "the little guy" sitting up front with you?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's going in a Dodge Ram, the dash opening isn't 1DIN or 2DIN, it's Crysler specific. I have seen some very nice custom retro'ed 2DIN HU's including the Pioneer AVIC's (the only brand I'd consider, for that matter), but it becomes a very permanent installation - meaning once the hole is cut into the bezel and the surrounding supporting structure to accommodate a 2DIN HU there is no going back to OEM.
Plus the little guy will be either up front or in the rear with his brother and sister. (when they fight, he comes up front or he end up getting hurt...). A GPS display would be more convenient - not to mention the Gendarmes wouldn't see it and give me a rough time about having a video display where the driver can become distracted by it (i'd mount it low enough that it couldn't be seen from an adjacent vehicle.

I'll prolly just get another remote display and a small video distribution amp so all three monitors will work.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a million - it looks like the 5000 is available as a refurb from GPS Central for 229.95.

I appreciate this a lot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought a Garmin 5000 just for the backup camera connection and the large screen.
Remember though, the 5000 has no battery. It has to be connected to power to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts