Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time poster.

I have been putting some thought into my home theater set up and I would like to get my Amp chosen before I move along any further.

Sources:
HTPC
PS3
a 3.5mm auxiliary in for an mp3 player.

One of my main needs for this system is to have a separate audio source from the video source that is displayed on my TV (essentially listening to music from the HTPC and Video from the PS3). I have read that many amps have this feature, Denon calls it "V. Select". The sticky part is there doesn't seem to be an amp that can do this for a hdmi source.

I'm wondering if it is still worth it to buy a receiver that has hdmi inputs when I want to be running optical/composite audio anyway? If this is the case I don't want to overpay for features I won't need.

This is one of the receivers that jumps out at me. I'm liking the low price point and the two optical sound inputs.

Pioneer 5500-Watt 5.1 VSX-520-K

Thanks for any insight, I apologize in advance for any rules I may have stepped on.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Not exactly sure what you are saying but with A/V I have I do have the ability to select the audio source While watching HDMI video I can choose coax(c1), optical 1 (o1) and Optical 2 (o2) or HDMI(H) for an audio source. So you should be able to hook up the PS3 to HDMI and then the other source to o1 or o2 or c1 and listen to that.

I'm not trying it at this time(too late to disturb the sleeping) but I'm sure I have been using the PS3.... accidentally chose a different digital source like 02 and wondered why I was getting other sound through the A/V receiver other than the PS3 sound.

Hope I understood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dug a little deeper and what you are explaining seems to be a common feature among most AVRs. That being said nowhere can I seem to find what I was looking for. Video from a HDMI source and the audio from a different HDMI source.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Pioneer 5500-Watt 5.1 VSX-520-K?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Let me understand , you want for example you want to play a game in your PS3 and at the same time you want for example hear your mp3 or ipod ???? i know for a fact that the pioneer wont do this because its a repeater with older models that they are a pass truth i was able to do that , play a game with my 360/PS3 and listen my ipod . But someone maybe was able to do this or bypass in some way the signal and sound .

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Put an HDMI switch in with output to TV or to AV. Then switch to TV for PS3(bypass AV) and select the other source on AV. When you want the HDMI for both select the other on the switch???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts