Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
You never know, maybe there is another access point for the fiber? I just checked my own address and still showing not available. A week ago it said within 3 months now there isn't even a mention of 3 months at all. It simply says not available.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The most time consuming part of doing the FibreOP deployment is running the fiber along the poles, once this is done the final splicing takes all but a few hours. I expect that this is scheduled to occur soon for your area, and once this is done FibreOP is essentially live for you. When they schedule your installation they probably take this into account and schedule it for *after* the splicing is done.

One of my friends actually is in the same position, they are rolling out FibreOP to their area this week but they have a scheduled install date of the 10th.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I may be in the same boat. I'm moving on the 24th, and when I look out back of the place I'm moving to (in with my fiancee), it looks like the fibre op cable has just been coiled up and laying against the pole that the drop would come off of, but they insist that it's available at our address. Here's hoping!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same issue. They installed me but it took 3 days to get the full install as there had to be installation trucks to help out to get me hooked. '(The big trucks came twice in my area and pole) They also had to put the wire in the ground as they could not do it last winter due to it being frozen (pipe). I would not worry. They want your business...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Encouraging comments for me and other who are in the same boat as me. I guess as long as the install order is still scheduled, I'll just have to have faith that come the 13th Aliant will be able to complete the install.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I pray that they can install it, I'm used to having it at the place I'm at now. My fiancee has rogers basic package and it really sucks bad. I'd hate to have to stay with rogers. Her internet modem keeps going offline all the time, and when they say basic package, they aren't kidding! Have my fingers crossed that everything goes alright. Have my fingers crossed for you guys too!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Although the Aliant Site and their ordering system say FibreOp is available, the picture says otherwise.

I was able to place an order on Friday, but I think it's going to get cancelled soon.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/habskilla/IMG00080.jpg
I've seen simular photos like this around Saint John even today, and most of the city has been on Fiber Op for Over a year now, so hard to say if it's extra slack etc. However I do recall that when they were installing in my Neighbourhood in the March of 2010 the streets looked like this for a few days and we could get service 2 weeks later...

As for the pole, I would assume that the Hydro would also be attached to that if it's not been already?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have wires like that beside my apartment and i've had fibreop services for over a month. And there is nowhere else those wires could really go either.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The coiled wires are not attached. The pole is new, but nothing is connected to it. They had to install that pole because the wire length was too long and the wires too low to the ground.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Halifax doesn't have FibreOp yet, but it is expected to arrive this summer. My street and several others must be close to being "ready to go", since I have seen wiring(complete with "coils) like your photos on my street as well.

There appear to be two "cable like runs" hooked to the poles on my street (looks like two complete systems running side by side, along the whole length of my street, but no extra poles, though), and it is possible one is the regular cable company's feed, and the second one FibreOp, ready to go. I remember seeing trucks working in the area about a month or so ago.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Are you sure that stuff is new? The first one I've never seen before but it could actually before a remote DSLAM for DSL service, as for the second it looks like a box for copper pairs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those boxes in your video are not fibreop distribution boxes.
The fibreop boxes are all made by corning and are the beige color with a black handle on the front with a padlock.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wonder what the heck those boxes are in the video?

On another note, FibreOp appointment is solid for May 13th. All steps completed in the ordering system. I really hope it's not an error, because I'm also porting my phone number back to Aliant from Vonage. So if the install doesn't go ahead, I fear I'll loss telephone service.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The one at the bottom of the pole is just a plain old twisted-pair distro/cross-connect box for POTS. The one at the top, I'm not so sure, but it looks powered (not fiber). I don't really deal with copper stuff only fiber.

Enjoy your service, it kicks the balls off just about anything offered in the country right now for residential internet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The phone still uses POTS so even if the fibre install gets delayed (hopefully not), they could still technically do the phone install and number transfer for you.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Called last night. The order was in a hold state. There is/was a problem with the LNP Transfer. Aliant got confused because my address already has a phone number (dry loop). The CSR removed the hold and added a comment to state that the LNP transfer to go ahead.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Glad to hear you are still a go! Yeah, LNP can be a fragile process sometimes. It has thankfully improved considerably since first implemented.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts