Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your IPG "Know" the "odd" start/stop times of some programmes?

This question spans a lot of providers, so I thought I'd put it in this forum...

My IPG supplier is TVGuide Canada. They supply the IPG for Rogers to use with my SA8300HD, as well as for other STBs.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to acknowledge that some programmes now start and stop at "odd" times. For example, this week "Lost" will start on ABC at 9PM on Wednesday and stop at 10:04. If I simply highlight the programme on my IPG, or have the programme as a "record all episodes", the PVR will record from 9-10 and I'll miss the ending.

I understand that TiVo users have the "correct" information and also many people in the US get the correct information from their IPG suppliers (Comcast, Cox, etc).

Does YOUR IPG do it correctly? When responding, please provide the following information.

- Service provider - Rogers Toronto.
- STB - SA8300HD
- IPG supplier (if known) - TVGuide Canada.

This problem exists on quite a few programmes now each week...

Note that people with some of the older “time based” PVRs don’t need to answer since this question only impacts the “name based” PVRs.

Do BEV and *C have name-based PVRs? Are the 9200 and 530 name or time-based?

If you're on Rogers Ontario, you probably know this answer well and you don't need to respond.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
Videotron Gatineau
SA 8300HD

I believe our guide is fairly accurate. All my HD programs have recorded for the last 8 month. That is, I have not noticed a problem with name changes causing failure to record. I also saw yesterday one of my scheduled recordings indicated it started at 8:01PM.

PS: I just posted a message along this same vein regarding extending recordings.

·
Super Moderator
56,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jake, this is NOT the name change issue (inconsistent programme titles). This discussion is only related to programmes that start/stop at "odd" times, like Corner Gas (8:32 ending Monday), Lost (10:34 this week), DH, Jay Leno (12:37), Letterman (12:37), etc.

Thank you for your feedback.

Can you check what your IPG says for Lost on ABC (not CTV) this Wednesday at 9PM? Does it show a 10PM or 10:04 ending? What does it show for the end times for Leno and Letterman - is it 12:35 or 12:37?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I believe we get the correct information here. Provider: Shaw Cablesystems STB: Motorola DCT6208 IPG Supplier: Prevue Interactive (I believe)

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
Update:

Videotron Gatineau
SA 8300HD

Lost on ABC 9:00 - 10:04
Leno and Letterman 11:35 - 12:37

Didn't check DH or CG yet. I suspect they are good though.

·
Banned
167 Posts
My IPG doesn't display time properly:

- Service provider - Rogers Toronto.
- STB - SA8300HD
- IPG supplier (if known) - TVGuide Canada

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Rogers:
ABC-HD
Lost 9-10:05PM
Invasion - 10:05-11:00.
SA8300HD.

CTV-HD
Invasion 8:00-8:55
Lost 8:55-10:00

Last time I checked this specific episode of Lost, I could have sworn it was a 'normal' length episode, 9-10PM...perhaps it was updated recently? I realize that it says in the first post that Rogers people wouldn't need to reply, but again, I'm pretty sure this was recently updated.
Edit: I only ever really browse the HD channels, so I'm about 90% sure this is a recent change.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Last night, my SA8300HD again recorded the last five minutes of Invasion (8:00 - 8:55) at the start of LOST (8:55 - 10:00) in CTV HD.

·
Super Moderator
56,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They're probably using the ABC information for the CTV channel even though CTV airs it differently than ABC. I noticed that the IPG showed it that way.

The ABC IPG showed 9-10:05 for Lost, which means you'd miss the first minute of Invasion since Lost was 64 minutes this week. They just can't get it right. If you're on Rogers, keep calling/e-mailing.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
57 said:
They're probably using the ABC information for the CTV channel even though CTV airs it differently than ABC. I noticed that the IPG showed it that way.
Well, CTV had it listed as 8-8:55 for Invasion (when it actually ran from 8-8:57 or so, I remember noticing that it had run over the 55 minutes, but not right to 9:00), and 8:55-10:00 for Lost (when Lost actually ran from 8:58ish to 10ish, commercials seemed short too, my 2-minute commercial-skip macro flew right into the show...normally I have to do another 30 seconds or so from time to time).
ABC had it as 9:00-10:05 for Lost, and 10:05 to 11:00 for Invasion. ABC seemed to show it at around the right times. Didn't have any problem recording either show on ABC.

I suspect CTV wasn't sure what to do when someone threw them a curve with oddly-lengthed programs. Heh. I PVR'd both shows on ABC, and watched Invasion and Lost 'live' on CTV-HD.

·
Registered
620 Posts
So here's an interesting thing. Here in New Brunswick - Rogers has Motorola equipment as opposed to Scientific Atlanta, which means that we have the Prevue Interactive Guide as opposed to the TV Guide.

And some of the show listings are correct ie : Lost last night was eventually corrected before the show aired.. and some of them are wrong (Tonight Show, David Letterman.. Corner Gas (last I checked)

Shaw users out west reported good results with the Prevue Guide.. IIRC - but then maybe I recall wrong.

J

·
Registered
620 Posts
So.. for fun n giggles.. I called Prevue Interactive today in Tulsa Ok. I tried to complain that their guide times were wrong for selected network shows.

I was told of course in the end that if I'm not a cable operator, then I'm not their customer and I can't open a trouble ticket and I need to complain to my cable operator.. who can then in turn complain to Prevue/TV Guide and get a trouble ticket opened.. they can then research the problem etc.

Geez.. is it any wonder they've got wrong guide times for some shows?

Her quote to me was "This is the first I'm hearing of an issue like this". I simply find that impossible to believe!??!

Obviously cablecos' just trust this information to be correct and front line CSR's never let the information from complaint calls trickle thru to the people who *could* open a trouble ticket with Prevue/TV Guide.

I am going to document a bunch of cases and then call Rogers and try to get a ticket opened. Once I do, I'm going to post my case # in this thread so others can reference it when calling in to open their own tickets.

If history has taught us anything .. it's more trouble tickets = something gets done sooner or later.

J

·
Super Moderator
56,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a voice-mail from Rogers saying that this issue had been resolved. I called them back today and explained to them that it has not. When Leno starts showing the end time as X:37 instead of X:35, then we'll be getting somewhere....

The CSR I talked to had also been affected directly by this issue on a number of her favourite shows...

The "Inconsistent programme title" issue is also still "an issue", I'll cover that in that thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts