Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to Vancouver, BC and am wondering if Shaw carry any "Soccer/football" SD/HD channels? (e.g. La Liga, UEFA Champions League, Europa League, English Premier League etc).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Many soccer/football matches can be found on Setanta. Setanta is a premium service channel which is $14.99 per month.

EDIT: My response pails in comparison to Alan's below. Kudos & thank you Alan. Just to add to it GOLTV and Fox Sportsworld are $2.95/month or both for $3.95.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Shaw does carry many channels with varying amounts of soccer. If you are interested in non-North America football then the following channels are ones you should look at

Setanta Canada (Ch 154 SD)
GolTV (CH 151 SD)
Fox Sportsworld Canada (Ch 156 SD)
Telelatino or one of the Italian language channels

Note that there are rumours that Setanta and GolTV will be available in Canada shortly in HD but nothing has been announced by Shaw as to when or if they will be carrying them in the neat future.

North American soccer and limited non-North American soccer are also carried by Sportsnet (SD and limited HD), TSN (SD And HD), TSN2 (SD and HD), CBC (SD and HD) and the Score (SD and HD).

There is quite a bit of soccer available but it can get expensive to get all that is available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Shaw Guru, Alan Bealby:p

Just called up Shaw to add Setanta Canada, GolTV and Fox Sportsworld Canada. I'm looking forward to these channels in HD in the near future;).

Thanks again guys and have a great day!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually Setanta is confirmed to be going HD on Aug 1.
This is great!

Maybe I was spoiled by CBC's coverage of the FIFA World Cup in full HD, and now watching Setanta Canada, GolTV and Fox Sportsworld Canada in SD with WS LCD TV is just not bearable.

I called up Shaw this morning to subscribe to these three channels and after watching for a few hrs I called them back to cancel all three again:(, I guess once you go HD, it's very difficult to go back to SD, especially in sports!

·
Registered
25 Posts
GolTV will be your source for Bundesliga and La Liga

FSWC will be your Seria source

Setanta will give you Championship as well as most of the "B" Premier games.

But if you are really interested in the top Premier games, those will be found on Sportsnet and The Score (Sunday morning).

Champions League is mostly on TSN/TSN2

This is how it was all of last year... there may be shuffling for this season but the reality is that the "big" games will be available on Sportsnet/TSN/TSN2/Score in HD (including Monday feature games).

There is a thread or 2 on http://www.takethepiss.com that talks about this stuff (Vancouver-based footy website).

Cheers,

Regs.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Just a note about my previous comment, Setanta HD is not confirmed for Shaw yet, but will be launching on Aug 1 anyhow. Whether Shaw picks it up or not is anyone's guess. Gol TV is also apparently going HD later this year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not the score

Sportsnet and Setanta for EPL, yes, but not The Score anymore. TSN 2 will have the early Saturday and Monday night (or noon in B.C.) games.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't forget CBC Bold. They broadcast repeats of all the World Cup games, as well as other FIFA tournaments.

Both Bold and Gol TV have HD channels already but Shaw hasn't picked them up yet. We need to bug them about it. I want to see Barça in HD!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I contacted Shaw last week regarding Setanta HD. It doesn't appear to be on their radar. I think they're dealing with the Sportsnet One controversy at the moment. I have Setanta, GOL, FOX as well as the regular sports channels. Some of the rights to the "highlight" games are now held by Sportsnet One, which means they have disappeared from those other channels. But I don't think its really going to cause an issue in this market until the Canucks season starts (as they hold the rights to what were previously the Canucks PPV games).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Setanta HD is on the "radar", Shaw is currently negotiating with them on the cost, etc. Trying to figure out if they will be adding the costs to consumers is a big deal, but I cannot see any more being charged just to get the HD rights. I think that if you subscribe to the SD the HD will be added on at no cost. As for SPORSTHOSTAGEONE, everyone across western Canada will be peeved if there is no resolution. Not even Bell has it, so you know that Rogers is trying to pull one over on the rest of Cable companies. Believe me I'm po'd as the Champions League will be on this channel!!!

Thank goodness for Setanta and TSN 1 & 2. I will keep you up date on Setanta HD once I get more information.

·
Registered
268 Posts
SPORSTHOSTAGEONE, everyone across western Canada will be peeved if there is no resolution. Not even Bell has it, so you know that Rogers is trying to pull one over on the rest of Cable companies. Believe me I'm po'd as the Champions League will be on this channel!!!
The CRTC will come to our rescue....ya right!

FaxCap

·
Registered
77 Posts
SportsNet One now online

I watched the Champions League match between Bayern Munich and Roma the other day on channel 225 in Winnipeg. There was no guide data yet but you could clearly see it was SportsNet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts