Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Rogers keeps adding new HD channels (today they launched TVO HD and NASA HD). Knowing they have Speed HD, MovieTime HD, CBC News HD, History HD etc. And don't get me started with SN1. How does Bell every come to the idea that they the most HD?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Because they pad the totals with a bunch of PPV and French stations. They have more channels, but not more content, given Rogers' HDVOD library.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
There have been several previous threads discussing the number of channels that each provider has. I believe that BTV still has more HD channels than Rogers (for one location), however, what really matters is - does the service provider carry the channels that you want to see.

Also, the number of channels often includes PPV, OD, timeshifts, French, East/West, etc. which may or may not matter to some.

Rogers HD FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76073

If someone has a similar link for BTV, please post.

Just as an FYI, I've had NASA and TVO for a couple of weeks in Toronto (August 5th).

·
Banned
296 Posts
Well, the total of services between providers depends on many factors.

Territory is one of them. For example, Rogers in Ottawa carries CBC Ott and CTV Ott while in Toronto it carries CBC Tor and CTV Tor, on the same channel number, plus the CBC+CTV Vancouver one to everyone.
On BellTV, regardless where you live, there's CBC Toronto Montreal Vancouver and CTV Toronto Vancouver Calgary, on different channel numbers.
Do you count 3 CBC for Bell and 2 CBC for Rogers? or 3 for Rogers? Or just one per network? Same goes for ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS/CW where Toronto gets Buffalo, Ottawa gets Detroit and New Brunswick gets Boston, plus the Seattle ones. Since providers can only offer 2 sets of US OTA channels, Rogers's total count can look higher than the satellite ones.

Then there's the PPV channels. You cannot subscribe to all of them, free-access for a month, so do you count them and take 'em into consideration if you pick the provider with the most HD channels?

There's also the special channels like the Aquarium/Fireplace/Frame. For xmas, Bell added 2 Fireplace channels with the same image: one with english xmas music track, the other with french xmas music track. Count as one or two... or none?

There's also the Sports channels. BellTV and Rogers reserved 6 or 7 channel positions for NFL Sunday Ticket, so during 16 sundays between september and december there's something on, rest of the time it's a black screen. NHL Centre Ice and MLB Extra Innings HD channels are also working only when there's a game on, usually in the evening during the regular season. On the other hand, a provider could shared HD channels for all of the different sports. Do they offer less HD channels?

For additional reference, check out the wikipedia page, which compares by services
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_availability_in_Canada

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
If you look at the totals at the bottom of the wiki page, you'll see 122 for Rogers for example, but you'd have to live in two different places to get those. I believe it's the same for Cogeco since one place doesn't have that many channels. BTV/SD may be the same for east/west.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Also depends on what region you're in, Rogers Customers in NB/NL get a fraction of what those in Ontario get for HD (a fraction which is shrinking because they really aren't adding anything out here and haven't for months).

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Stop bragging. We hear of these channels but never see them here in Atlantic. ;)

So in reality, in Atlantic, BELL does have more HD channels compared to ROGERS. We see it all the time on their advertisements.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Channel count is really meaningless between the 2 providers, its the amount of content that really counts. Rogers has a huge amount of HD on it On-Demand service.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I agree 100%. I have little use for promo channels, time shifted channels with identical schedules, dozens of channels in a language I don't understand or overpriced PPVs. While I'm not condemning their existence, it's value for the money on an individual basis that counts. There is little doubt that Bell favours the French language market while Rogers leans more towards English language stations and other minority languages.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The most HD channels? Im not so sure. The best equipment in Canada? Yes. Also I think if Bell added another 10-12 HD channels there missing then maybe they would have the most HD channels.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
With all those channels in their line-up, how much bandwidth is being used up? And are the channels compressed to the point where they start looking like DVDs?

More doesn't mean better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts