Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Spoke to a MTS guy today...it gonna be good as mentioned. 30 hd stations. They will rent the PVR out for 4 bucks a month. Cant wait for this, he said March is the expected roll-out.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still waiting on roll-out in Portage. I've got family there who have tried to sign up and they still aren't taking names. Hopefully I can update with details once they get the service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can you buy the PVR as a pose to renting it?
I'm going to guess that you can't buy it. And at $4 a month, that isn't a problem for me. Considering the lifetime of the box is probably 3-4 years, it would have to be less than $200 to make it better to buy.

Last time I checked out Bell, they wanted $20/month for their HD-PVR or $600 to buy it (minus $300 programming credit). It might make sense to buy that since the monthly fee is so high. You would be ahead after 15 months if you can use all the credits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
what about the people who paid for their HD STB's? i didnt pay full price, but i still paid 149 for it, do i keep it or do i get to trade it in? as far as i remember, i didnt sign anything that says i have to return it....

other people did pay the full 349.00 for theirs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just pulled this information from the Portage La Prairie section on the website.

Packages Digital Packages
Basic $35.99/month
Basic & 1 Digital Theme Group $40.99/month
Basic & 3 Digital Theme Groups $45.99/month
Basic & 6 Digital Theme Groups $50.99/month
Basic & 9 Digital Theme Groups $55.99/month
Basic & 11 Digital Theme Groups $60.99/month

* Receiver rental: $3/month per TV
* Additional Digital Theme Groups: 2 for $5/month
* Add PVR service for $5/month
* Add 3 HD Theme Groups for $12/month

I have one HD tv at home and two SD tvs. If I'm reading this right, it's going to cost me $9 for receiver rental and $5 for PVR access. Then it will be another $12 for the 3 HD packages that I want. For Basic + 6 theme groups, that makes $77/month.

I'm underwhelmed. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, off promotion.

Promotion for Portage customers includes 3 months free PVR access and starts at $19.99 for the first 6 months. You can automatically save up to $18 a month by bundling your TV with Wireless, Internet and AAA Alarms.

·
Super Moderator
16,406 Posts
I expect MTS would honour the existing terms. I guess the question becomes what will happen if someone wants to add the new HD channels?

·
Super Moderator
16,406 Posts
www.mts.ca/hdtv and click on "High Definition Channels". The fine print is at the bottom of the page. They've had that since the beginning.

Basically it's the old system where you buy the HD STB and get the U.S. networks, CBC, TSN and Sportsnet.

I think the IPTV system will be cheaper since the HD STB is only $3/month.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts