Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a STB -- SD, HD, or PVR -- available in Atlantic Canada (NL) that allows the user the option of completely removing unsubscribed and unwanted channels from the on screen guide, like is possible with Bell by creating favourites lists?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The true answer is "all of them can do it"

Pragmatically the answer is no.

The ability to remove channels from the guide is built into the firmware of most set top boxes, however, companies like Rogers refuse to offer that functionality to its customers.

The rationale is that if people see what's on, then they will order new channels or Pay per views.

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
Most cable service providers do not have the option to "hide" unsubscribed channels. However, as hugh mentioned, it is a firmware function and the latest PVR in Ontario (8642) from Rogers does have unsubscribed channels shown in "grey" in the IPG.

You can create a list of favorites in most cable STBs, however, it's a basic single list of your favorite channels.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I visited a friend in the States with Time -Warner cable, and channels could not be hidden from his on screen guide either. I find the favourites list useless, because I like to surf by looking at the on screen guide.
OK, so it's part of the firmware. But can't some of you techno-geeks come up with a work-a-round? Maybe we could trick the box into thinking that the unwanted channels are adult? Maybe there is a way to get into the service menu of the box? Come on guys, put your thinking cap on. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Foggy,

I believe I mentioned this before but fortunately for us Easterners, our Mods are incorrect on this one (sorry guys). My DCT6416 III HD PVR allows me to remove ANY channel I want from the guide, channel up/down and search results here in Atlantic Canada. WITHOUT using favorite lists. This can include removing both subscribed and non-subscribed channels.

Here's how:

1. Press Settings TWICE.
2. Select "My Preferences"
3. Select "Skipped Channels"
4. Simply put a check mark beside any channel you DO NOT want to see.
5. Exit.

Poof! All the channels you don't want to clutter up your Digital Enjoyment are gone. You can get to a channel you added to your skipped list ONLY by manually entering the channel # or removing it from your skipped list.

The Motorola SD boxes out east have the same menu commands but the channel still appears in the guide and search results. It only skips on ch+ and - browsing.

This is probably the ONLY perk us Atlantic Canadians have over our Upper Canadian brothers these days considering our HD content is not only less than them but has actually shrunk in recent months..

Chris..

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
woodsie Thank you for the correction. Is this a recent addition to the Motorola firmware? By recent I mean in the last year?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DS and woodsie, but neither of these work on my SD Motorola box. To be clear, repeatedly pressing the fav button will allow the guide to jump to a favorite channel, but the unwanted channels still display. Also, while viewing a channel, pressing the fav button will take me to a favorite channel, but I want to see the guide, not view the channel. Playing with the skipped channel function accomplishes nothing, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
265 Posts
woodsie Thank you for the correction. Is this a recent addition to the Motorola firmware? By recent I mean in the last year?
Hey, no problem 57.

The firmware on the 6416 has allowed this as long as I've owned it (over a year now). I could also do it on my older rental before then for some time. Again, you can ONLY do this on the Motorola HD PVR folks so trying it on the SD or standard HD boxes will not be successful. High price to pay for this capability but hey, it's an HD PVR! :)

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts