Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just re-signed with Telus and while the 3 phone plans I have are all BYOD and have no contracts, they offered me 2 Samsung Tablets at 10.00 a month each with a 2 year contract. Having second thoughts on the tablet plans and am wondering if I have the same 15 day grace period to cancel and send the tablets back as I would have on a normal phone plan purchase? Thx

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
You should ask this question at the time you are thinking about agreeing to take the two tablets when offered, otherwise you would have to call back and ask if the buyer's remorse policy for tablets is the same for consumer phones, it might be the same, it might not be, I do not know since don't work for them nor am I a customer but they HAVE to tell you this info upon you requesting it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should ask this question at the time you are thinking about agreeing to take the two tablets when offered, otherwise you would have to call back and ask if the buyer's remorse policy for tablets is the same for consumer phones, it might be the same, it might not be, I do not know since don't work for them nor am I a customer but they HAVE to tell you this info upon you requesting it.
Why respond to a question that you don't know the answer to?? I am simply asking on this forum because a lot of people (Dr. Dave for one) seem to know the CRTC rules a lot better than me. I was on the phone for over 90 minutes setting up the 3 phone lines and asking multiple questions. After hanging up I then realized that I had forgotten to ask this particular question and would have been on hold for up to 45 minutes more when I called back. Therefore I asked on this forum hoping for a reply from someone who actually knows the answer. But thanks anyway!

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
It's still wireless service so it should be covered by the same regulations as smartphones. The only way to know for sure would be to contact Telus or the CRTC.

·
Super Moderator
20,041 Posts
I am simply asking on this forum because a lot of people (Dr. Dave for one) seem to know the CRTC rules a lot better than me.
I was planning on responding, but changed my mind because I didn't really know the answer. However, since you mentioned my name...

The Wireless Code, simplified | CRTC is written with cell phones in mind, so I don't know if it really addresses a trial period for tablet add-ons. If you requested an electronic copy of your contract, you can search it for Trial Period and see if it says anything.

If Telus isn't cooperative, and won't let you just return the tablets, you may consider canceling the contracts and returning the hardware, although I'm not 100% certain that the wireless code applies in this situation. Another option would be to call the CCTS if Telus isn't helpful to see if applies. I'm sure you're not the only person that had second thoughts.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The phone plans are BYOD so there is no contracts for them. The only contract is on the 2 tablets. I can cancel the phones at any time but have to pay 10.00 a month for 24 months on each of the tablets. This is where I am puzzled since they have sim card to share data, would that not make them a mobility device? I'll try calliong again today. Just found the emailed contract in my junk folder. Didn't realize that there were 3 emails for each sim number. Reading the tablet contract it has this section:

Is there a trial period?
At TELUS we have a Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. If you’re
not happy with your device or service, you can return the device
for a full refund or cancel service with no cancellation fees, within
fifteen days.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Even though they are considered a mobility device and have their own sim card, there are certain things a tablet line and plan can not do that a regular consumer cellphone line Can do such as no ability to make local or long distance calls and can not text on a tablet plan, so they "might" treat them under a different terms of service just because of the differences in the line. It definitely makes sense to have a terms and conditions Tailored to the actual type of line you have instead of having just a generic one fits all solution a lot of companies do this.

So I simply said to just bite the dust and pick up the phone and call them and ask, even if you have to wait on hold for 20-30 mins, it might be faster to get the info from them instead of on here, because in my personal experience, I know a lot of tech savvy people in my circle of friends and colleagues but no matter how smart or knowledgeable they are, when asked about buyers remorse and terms of service they honestly do not pay attention to those things and that itself is very scary.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update on this topic. Just got an email telling me that the sim cards and tablets are on the way and at the bottom of the tablet email it states that on in store orders the return period is 15 days. The return period for both omline and over the phone orders is actually 30 days. Finally got an answer from chat (funny how my position in the queue went from 6 to 1 in 4 minutes but was 40 mins from position 1 to actually being connected to a rep} saying this was indeed the case. Of course condition of device and actual amount of data is still relevant. Strange that the other email I received earlier said nothing about the 30 day period?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts