Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought of something - I have a 100M Rogers cell tower broadcasting on the GSM-850 850Mhz band within 400M of my antenna.

Will this negatively affect my reception?

Do you think they would care if I hung a DBGH 300FT up? (just kidding, of course)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The frequencies are sufficiently different that electro-harmonic interference issues won't be a problem, but in rare cases there might be the occasional hiccup purely due to multipath interference if the tower is extremely close by. 400 meters? Nope.

If you are wondering about EM interference just put a cell phone on top of a TV tuner and see if there are any issues... nope, none. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Concurred with above. Further, the average ERP* of most cell sites--even rural 850MHz ones--is far too low to typically impact OTA channels. Modern pre-amps don't amplify beyond 805MHz (or thereabouts), so this will further attenuate any present cellular signals.

Cellular signals are also vertically polarized. Whereas most broadcast television transmissions are horizontally polarized. Some TV signals are elliptical, but not many.

*Radiated power varies depending on quality of signal to the remote device. However, even at peak transmission power, there should be no interference with broadcast spectrum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts