Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Do you have Java on your primary home PC?

• Windows YES

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Windows NO

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Mac OS X YES

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Mac OS X NO

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Linux YES

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • LINUX NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My work computer which I have little control over has an older version of IE as the default browser and Java 6 Update 45. Which I am pretty sure is a VERY bad idea.

Oh and we still have lots of XP machines running.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My work computer which I have little control over has an older version of IE as the default browser and Java 6 Update 45. Which I am pretty sure is a VERY bad idea.

Oh and we still have lots of XP machines running.
Sounds like you guys are ripe for a cyber intrusion. IIRC JAVA 6 is EOL but there was a final patch issued for organizations that still required JAVA 6. Update 51 I think but it was designed to buy time to get your apps over to JAVA 7.

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We are still using Java 6 Update 45 here. Our workstations are administered remotely so we are unable to fix that.

We get weekly lectures on internet security yet they are powerless to block the multiple phishing emails/day we receive. :rolleyes:

Sigh.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Does anyone know if Java security issues still persist? I have it disabled on my PC at home. However I do need it to run for telework purposes. Is it safe now to enable and does using Explorer or Firefox (my default) make a difference?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts