Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Assuming you are switching from Rogers to Teksavvy for Cable Internet, do you lose all the Rogers Yahoo email for the Rogers login account "[email protected]"?

Does anyone know for certain? Do you get a chance to port it over from a Rogers Yahoo account to another Yahoo account? For those who've moved from Rogers to Teksavvy, could you clarify?

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Just an FYI on this - I would highly recommend using an ISP-agnostic email address as your main address in the future, this way you aren't hooked into your ISP.

Switch to gmail or yahoo or buy your own domain email address.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
You will lose the email address.

Depending on how you read your mail, you may or may not lose the old mail. More specifically:

If you currently use a mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook to download your mail from the Rogers/Yahoo POP server then you should have all the mail on your local PC.

If you only use the Web interface and keep the mail on Rogers' servers, then you will lose access to it. Same applies if you connect to the server via IMAP.

If you are planning on switching, just use an email client and pull all the mail off the server before you switch. As Wayne points out, having your own domain/email address is the best way to avoid this hassle in the future.

I went through it in Jan.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Just an FYI on this - I would highly recommend using an ISP-agnostic email address as your main address in the future, this way you aren't hooked into your ISP.
I agree, which is one of the reasons I have my own domain. Actually, multiple, to cover off the .com, .ca, .info, .org, etc variations.

Doing this is relatively cheap, and you don't really need to tie a web site to it - a placeholder can be sufficient. Registering a domain and signing on with an ISP gives you your own domain and control over your own email addresses. If the ISP is not good, when it comes to renewal you just switch ISP's - no change to your domain name, to your email addresses, etc.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm with rfielder on this. I registered my own domain 10 years ago and haven't looked back. For the ~10$/yr it costs for domain it is the way to go!

You can even use your own domain with gmail.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
You can even get your own domain through Google. While I have Gmail accounts available under my domain, I don't use them. I pay for that service to get a domain name and DNS pointing to my home network

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the alternatives. The point I was making is that was anyone who switched away from Rogers offered a way to move their Rogers Yahoo account to a non-Rogers Yahoo account if one happens to switch away from Rogers as their ISP provider?

My guess is that either you don't know due to the fact that most of you have moved over awhile back, and for others, they just backed up to their local drive in Outlook and changed.

I was looking for a way to just switch from a Rogers Yahoo web email account (where you log in to Yahoo using your [email protected] as your login name) to another Yahoo web email account.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Thanks for all the alternatives. The point I was making is that was anyone who switched away from Rogers offered a way to move their Rogers Yahoo account to a non-Rogers Yahoo account if one happens to switch away from Rogers as their ISP provider?

My guess is that either you don't know due to the fact that most of you have moved over awhile back, and for others, they just backed up to their local drive in Outlook and changed.
I agree - I don't know, and my earlier post did nothing to answer the OP. I had a Yahoo account before I joined Rogers, but have no idea what would happen if I discontinued my Rogers account.

Have you checked with Rogers or Yahoo?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Rogers may sell email addresses on their own. It's certainly possible for them to do so. I doubt that they will since most of the large ISPs do not. I guess it's their way of pressuring customers to stay.

For Yahoo, there may be a way to move the mail. Since Rogers owns the domain, I doubt Yahoo can keep it alive without Rogers consent. It's worth asking. Good luck.

In any event, I would start moving contacts to a new email address. Being at the whim of Rogers for email is not a winning game.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks all. This is how I understand this after customer support. There are two possible scenarios for Rogers/Yahoo accounts.

Scenario#1

If you merged your Rogers into Yahoo (but you never had a Yahoo account in the first place e.g. you never created a Yahoo account) then you only have a Rogers email account. So, then it is only an @rogers.com email address and for all @rogers.com email addresses, you can either access them online at the Rogers Yahoo webmail page (http://rogers.mail.yahoo.com) or set it up in an email program like Outlook or Outlook Express to back up your email.

Scenario#2

If you had an original Yahoo account and then merged your Rogers account with your Yahoo acct, then here is what you need to do. Contact Rogers Live support and let them know to unlink the two email accounts. What they can do is as follows.

They would need to temporarily terminate the Rogers email address, once that is done, you would need to sign into the Yahoo ID where a message indicates do you wish to continue using the Yahoo account. Upon that completion, when they re-activate your Rogers email address then they would be separate. All contacts and emails normally are transferred to the Yahoo side.

• Que#1 - When your rogers email address is temporarily terminated, wouldn't someone be able to grab your rogers email address?
  • Ans#1 - No, it is a temporary termination and all terminated email addresses still remain in our system for 60 days before it can be registered again.
  • Que#2 - If I wanted to eventually link my rogers account with another Yahoo account, can this be done?
  • Ans#2 - No unfortunately that option has been removed for quite some time now. It used to be allowed when you were first registering a Rogers email address, however they have removed it now.
I actually fall into Scenario#1 since they can check your rogers email address to see if its linked to another Yahoo_ID email account, and mine wasn't! :D I had done this so long ago, I thought I had a Yahoo email account. Hope that helps others that have specifically a Rogers Yahoo webmail account and what options they have.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I learned my lesson a few yrs ago. I cancelled my rogers home internet because I decided to use the Rocket stick since I was on the go alot and didnt have a permanent place to call home, was always traveling.

I was also looking for a new job at that time too and was wondering why no one was responding to me then it dawned on me, my rogers.com e-mail was cancelled. and I lost it permanenetly. From that point on, I decided to use a YAHOO.ca e-mail as my sole e-mail provider and that way i can go with ANY ISP and still retain my e-mail, since its not wise to put an e-mail address on a resume that you might get disconnected from.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I switched to Teksavvy, and as soon as i turned in my Rogers Cable modem, they terminated my rogers email accounts.

What they do , when you log into the <your name>@rogers.com is give you the option to delete all email, OR to create a new Yahoo.ca email account and it will transfer everything in your @rogers.com account to the new yahoo.ca account.

keep in mind that you CANNOT re use your original username..

so if you were [email protected] you cannot be [email protected] you have to choose [email protected] or some other name.

which sucks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i did ...

i lost my rogers email addy, but my account was in arrears as well. they sent me several warnings to pay up my outstanding balance or they would take me to court. which i never took seriously, and of course they didnt. however they did delet my email account which really sux because i had lotsa contacts on there and my online pictures that i had uploaded from my cell phone, were all lost...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Some people say there were able to keep their email and others say it was wiped out. It is with Yahoo so I don't understand why everyone wouldn't keep their email. I don't think they even use rogers server.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
They do use the Yahoo server, but you're paying Rogers to provide you with that @rogers.com email so they have every right to take that away once you cease to become a Rogers internet customer.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
It should be possible to create a regular Yahoo or Gmail account and transfer contacts, possibly even the messages, over. I would go with Gmail. It's a lot more reliable than Yahoo mail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to keep your contacts and saved emails after Rogers cancells your email

Hello,
I recently cancelled my Rogers Internet and they closed my @rogers.com email address. I opened the yahoo.ca website at https://ca.yahoo.com/ and tried to sign in with my closed Rogers email address and password. A message appeared that the account was closed, but I could create an new yahoo.ca email account and password and my contacts and saved emails would be linked to the new email address. It worked! The first thing I did was send an undisclosed recipient email to all my contacts that I wanted to alert to my new email address.
Then I continued with the new email address!
All the Best!
Gregorio:
30 January 2015

1 - 20 of 22 Posts