Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 372 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
As discussed earlier in this thread, 3-12' HDMI cables can usually be purchased from computer stores for about $15-20, or less from some online stores, so go ahead and spend $40 if you like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought my component cables from a small houseware store for $12. Later I saw exactly same cables at Home depot for $20. I'm quite picky about the picture quality, but after connecting those cables to my Panasonic 50' plasma, I have absolutely no complains. They give an excellent picture.

So I join the advise: don't spend your money on expensive cables.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well Sammy Hagar is a big Monster Cable guy.

Noel Lee and Richard Marsh at Monster.com explain about Time Correct technology.

"Monster’s way of compensating for something called "Velocity Propagation" or better known as the skin effect. An analog audio signal passing through a copper cable succumbs to this law of physics in which bass frequencies tend to gravitate towards the center of the cable; higher frequencies are forced to the outer portion of the cable. Monster utilizes multiple gauge windings to help compensate for this distortion. Large, solid-core copper strands in the center for bass frequencies (containing higher mass) and smaller gauges wrapped around the solid core conductor to delay the mid’s and high’s ensuring that the entire bandwidth of frequencies arrive in uniform."

WideWest Electronics have MonsterSigma Retro™ Gold Speaker Cable online for $1999.95 u.s.

·
Registered
74 Posts
One thing I haven't seen so far in this thread is anything about sub-woofer cables. Another "specialty" item that is pricey.

Ordinary 12-14g wire good for subs too?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
If you're hooking it up using the speaker terminals, then yes, 12-14 ga two conductor wires will be fine. (this was discussed earlier in this thread several times when the subject of speaker wires came up.).

If, however, you're going to use the (low level) LFE out from the AVReceiver, and the sub cable is fairly long, then get a good cable with RCA connectors at both ends. The premium sub cable from monoprice is a good deal. You should be able to purchase a good 20-25' cable for about C$20.

·
Registered
74 Posts
so a cable from monoprice like:
Digital Coaxial Audio RCA Cable M/M RG59U 75ohm S/PDIF Subwoofer - 12ft [CT]
is what you are referring to? With the bazillion types out there, this is all so confusing :confused:

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Instead of product 620, I'd go for 2682, since it's only a couple of $ more. You can search the site by product number.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks.

Being such a newb at this and getting all these terms (ohms and pass thru and coax and hdmi etc), I'm slowly learning. BUT sometimes it's nice just to get the specific example of something (as you just did for me) so I can then see what exactly you're referring to so I can compare.
:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just bought a bunch of cables that are going back

I just bought a 46 in Sony LCD from futureshop,
tv's fine, but all the "gear" is going back!
I was told I needed a Monster HDMI cable
I bought their Store brand version, and that's going back because I still feel I paid too much.
Their wall mounts exceed the list price of the manufacturer "Sanus systems"
some by over $100 above list.
They suggested a $150 monster power bar that looked like it could run all your heavy kitchen appliances. I bought one for $40 from their computer dept. which I returned because the source was selling a PURE AV power bar for $30.00 marked down from a gouged up $89.00 I am just in a rage!

Can someone recommend a source of good quality inexpensive cables
HDMI//Component Video/Audio/S-Video/Composite? 8ft Length preferred...
something where the plugs are already on, where they do not have to be soldered on? - I'm not going THAT inexpensive... LOL

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Please review previous posts in this thread, as many suppliers have already been suggested, including Monoprice.com (also reviewed in this forum), Costco, Wal-Mart, Princess Auto, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53516&highlight=monoprice

Please put your location and service provider in your UserCP Profile (location). This can often help us help you. Without a location, it's difficult to recommend stores.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clear Heads Prevail!

Wow - you folks should be congratulated! This is one of the very first threads on the topic of cables that didn’t disintegrate into a shouting match between the two sides of the discussion.

Kudos!

Andrew D.
www.cdnav.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
2 TO area retailers I have dealt with for quality cables mycableshop dot ca & infinitecables dot com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay, what's the difference between OEM and NON-OEM cables?

I'm looking at Ebay for my cable action but know NOTHING about the technology.

These Non-OEM cables are like $10 total (w/ shipping), $25-$30 OEM.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Blue Jeans Cable Advisory on DVI/HDMI vs Componenet Cables

I suspect there is a reference to this here somewhere, but I found it so useful a read it doesn't hurt to point to it again. It's an article mainly on whether HDMI or DVI are better than Component, but by necessity touches on the question of cable quality and the difference it can make.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the help...

It's been informative reading these posts, and following some of the links. The end result is that I just returned about $400 in Monster products (cables, speaker wire, and surge suppressor) to FS this afternoon. I then ordered replacements (matching or exceeding all Monster specs) online. And what did I do with the money I saved you ask? It covered nearly the entire price of a new DVD player - the Oppo 981HD ($243CDN before taxes.) Thanks again for all the great posts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cheap cable

OK I think most of you need a little training on Cables. By reading your post, I couldn't believe it! Keep buying cheap HDMI cable and probably in a couple of month, you will have to buy more!! There is a simple reason, bandwith, all the cheap one are the 1.0 version!! Not even compatible when all the new technology coming up on the market, you want to buy a Blue Ray, don't even think about using cheap cables, it will die on you in a matter of days. When HDMI cable stop working, throw it out, it's dead!! when you buy a cadillac, are you using regular gas or supreme!

Same with power bar! Wow $30 what a deal!! Can't wait till you have your 1st power outage, will see if it won't damage your $4000 TV. Contact your power compagnie and ask them about power line conditionner, you will be surprised of their answer, they highly recommanded it!!!

I have an incredible system myself, was using Cheap cable because I was reading thread like this! I made a big mistake, I had to buy 4 hdmi cable because they died on me after a few month until I did real research, same with component and power, I called my power compagnie and they did recommanded!, I believed them more than some of the thread I saw here!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
All the cables in my entertainment unit are Monster and Acoustic Research. I am a believer in you get what you pay for when it comes to electronics!
If you invest $5000 + into an entertainment unit, whats another $500 in cables, right? BUT, that being said, I ALWAYs buy my monster products from Ebay where you can get them for about 25% of the cost of buying at Future Shop or Best Buy!! I picked up a Monster MKII 2000 power bar, 1 8-foot DVI cable, 1 8-foot HDMI cable, and 2 fibre optic cables (All Monster) on Ebay for the price of the power bar alone at any retail store!!! :cool: You tell me who da winner there!!! ;)

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
All the cables in my entertainment unit are Monster and Acoustic Research.
Monster is good quality at too high a price. You are correct to pay about 25% of retail.

Acoustic Research is bad quality at any price. A scam if I ever saw one. Avoid Acoustic Research products at any price.

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
all the cheap one are the 1.0 version
So one very simple question for you. Why do you suppose nobody states in their spec the HDMI version of the HDMI cable? ;) Even the beloved Mon$ter cables fails mention this technological feat in their laughable spec sheet.

121 - 140 of 372 Posts