Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 372 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
At what distances do more expensive cables beat out something like a 24awg cable from Monoprice? You hear all sorts of conflicting reports and "tests".
Read the last link in post 1 of this thread (which discusses the cable aspect). jvincent brings up a good point in that not all equipment sends or receives equally well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Monster HDMI vs NoName brand HDMI cables

Monster cables are waaaaay over priced standing at $100+ and I've found that computer stores carry HDMI cables for $30+ . Are they both the same cables or am I really getting my money's worth with monster.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Regular brand HDMI cables are good enough

Monster HDMI cables, par the specs do have a fulfilled quality, the issue is if the prices measured up to the quality-value ratio offered. So some regular brands like RCA, Philips they are good enough. HDMI is HDMI, the cables have to fulfill the profile and specs from HDMI.org. There are also the real cheap HDMI cables with good quality reflected from the experiences of the users. Just right above there are two sticky threads: "Non-luxury cables" and "Non Monster HDMI cables". Check the spec up to HDMI 1.3, depending on the HT system requirement you are using.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'd liked to know what the "fulfilled qualilty" and the "quality value ratio" of the Mon$ter cables are? Please elaborate?
The only quality difference I can see between the Mon$ter cables and the computer store cables is in packaging.
For normal 6ft-15ft runs the computer store HDMI cables will do just fine. You can also try Monoprice as well for good cables at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Even at wholesale Mon$ter it's a ripoff never mind retail price.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Even at wholesale Mon$ter it's a ripoff never mind retail price.
... as even after huge mark-up is removed they don't even compare to pricing of other in store cables such as RCA or Philips and so many others. Kev604, you are definitely right about packaging as it is a big part of their cost which is tranferred to us and that is without mentioning environment issues. I bought some Philips and it is amazing the amount of bulky plastic you have to wrestle with in order to retrieve the cable! The more companies like mono price the better it is for consumers and humanity overall!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Replying to what wuvhandles stated,

About them dollar store coxial cables, yes you are correct sir. I'm 21 and didn't know any better when I was 16, so I bought some RG-59 cables from a local $ store.

Everything you said is correct and now I KNOW BETTER than to have bought them. Eventhough I never throughout the years have thought anything about the quality -- they were fine for my antenna uses indoors. But now when I think about it, copper beats out aluminum all the time. These $ cables have cheap aluminum contacts, so it allows them to be super bendy, etc, really inferior.

I'll be sure next time to buy only RG-6 now since its better. Things you learn when you get older eh ?? :)

PS. I still have some leftover of these $ cables, what would you suggest regulating them for usage?

PS. #2: Some dollar store do sparingly offer name brand coxial cables if you have luck finding them like RCA. I got a meter of RG6 from there and they were way better, less bendy and copper wire inside. But then again, you got know how to tell a bad cable from a good.

BTW: Does anyone know what cable (RG-59 or Rg6) Rogers technician use? They seem to bend less, so are they good to use, because I too have some to use

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow guys, working at an electronics retailers store I have different views of those highly priced cables.. just because they make me the most commission!
Really and truly though, using an Xbox360 Elite and the Sharp 46D62U I ran the microsoft HDMI cable that came in the box of my newly purchased Elite, I purchased monsters 300, 400 and Ultra 800 series cables, not because Future Shop makes me a balla but the fact that they're cables are marked up 2400% I can afford to buy them at a good staff purchase ;).
Testing each cable I found next to no difference at the 4-8' length. Now I didn't go as far as to test at longer distances but my questions to my likings were answered there and then.
There's no freaking difference...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hdmi Cable Clarification

I came across this story the other day and thought it might help some people out if they have questions about HDMI cables, even with HDMI 1.3 and whether or not you require a special cable as some retailers and or manufacturers claim.

This story does contain a small reference to prices for cables from some retailers, but has been cleared as ok by 57.

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-guide/

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Very valuable information, from links to links you find info to better understand HDMI and how to match with your specific set-up.

Job well done!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd completely agree, I've been in the RF Engineering world most of my working career (16 years). I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the prices of the Monster Cables in Retail Stores.

Admittedly I did buy one out of curiosity, and also bought a Rocketfish HDMI off eBay (for a lot less than the Retail Prices in shops), and a HDMI cable from a friend of a friends computer shop. The price difference between the 3 being from $150 to $25(including p&p) and $15.

I can't see any difference whatsoever between the 3, I played a movie and fixed on a certain area, then would swap the cable and compare. I don't know which of my Shaw HD PVR, Phillips Upconverter or HD DVD player has which cable right now, and I'm not concerned either.

It all boils down to marketing, Monster did a really good job convincing people that they absolutely must have these cables to get the best quality picture they can get, and back it up with technical jargon on the packet that most people wouldn't understand, and because they don't understand it, and because the cable is so expensive, it must be true (members of this board exempt of course) I'll bet most people who don't frequent boards like this, if you asked them to name a brand name HDMI cable, Monster would be right up there. It also doesn't help that some stores sell Cable Company HD PVR's, with no Component or audio cables that were supplied in the box, and then recommending a selection of Monster Cables that just happen to be in the store. I've come across that on more than one occasion, and don't agree with it one bit, yet because of the commision mark ups, can understand why they do it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My experience

In reading this article, it really does mirror my experiences with my system. My DVD player, a Sony DVP-NS755V, is pre-hdmi. I have it hooked up with component cables, Acoustic Research Master Series Component Video Cables, that I picked up at Princess Auto for next to nothing. The picture quality is incredible. I have it hooked up through my HK AVR645 to my LG LCD, all inputs are output through hdmi.

When I purchased my tv, I compared the differences between the two types of cables, there was a slightly sharper image through hdmi, back then, I didn't have the receiver, now, it's better, but still, but closer than before, I see a sharper image, but not enough to make me upgrade my DVD player.

So if you go through this article, you'll find them saying the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
I was in FS yesterday buying an external harddrive for my Mac to do Time Machine backups, and as I was checking out, a salesclerk was transporting a Samsung LCD to the car of the woman who had just purchased it. On top of the box were 3 Monster HDMI Cables priced at over $100 each. I would have said something but it's not my place inside FS's "house" and heck, if you've got the money and if you're willing to listen to a FS salesperson rather than do any research whatsoever, then more power to them.

201 - 220 of 372 Posts