Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a HDTV and wanna upgrade my existing 2700 receiver to 6131 and wanna receive HD channels. My existing dish is 18" with 2 lnbs. I received both 91 and 82 bird with no problem (with signal of 90 and 87% respectively). But I have read a lot of threads saying that 18" dish needs to be changed to 20" otherwise HD signal will not be good. Is that right?

Other Questions:
1)Do I need new lnbs also ?
2)I know I either need to buy or rent new receiver. Will Bell charges me new dish and lnbs because I am not new customer?
3)Will Bell charges me installation fees for new dish if required?
4)I will not subscribe HD channels. Will the SD quality more or less the same between 2700 and 6131

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
There is no 18" Dish that Bell have ever supplied that will get BOTH 91 & 82 without the addition of some kind of after market bracket to allow the attachment of 2 x LNBF's.

If you currently get good signal on 91 & 82, there is NO point changing anything.

To go through your other questions;

1. No if it is working leave it alone.
2. No, if you Rent or Buy, Bell will do a Free Upgrade, with everything required.
3. Same as answer to number 2.
4. If you are NOT going to subscribe to HD Channels, why even change the receiver. The SD will be the same, the only advantage will be that a Bell 6131 will give you the option of adding an EHD, to convert it to a PVR.

NOTE: You will ONLY get a Free Upgrade if you subscribe to HD Programming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I initially had a 24"(??) dish with single lnb with the 2700 receiver when Bell first came into the market because I hate Rogers' service. I then changed and bought the 18" dish from Bell and install myself many years ago (10 yrs ??) when they start adding the 82 bird because I wanna receive the international channels. Only thing I cannot remember is that whether I bought the bracket from after market or from Bell.

As you said, I should be OK to receive HD channels using 6131 without the need of changing to 20" dish. But if I buy the 6131 only and find that the quality is no good, I would then need to pay and upgrade the dish myself. Bell is really not fair to the existing and loyal customer. Should I just cancel the existing subscription and start a new one so that I can get new receiver with free dish and installation? Oh boy, I do not know what is the best way to do.

Anyway, I wanna upgrade the receiver because I can get some free HD channels from the basic digital subscription. Also I want to add the PVR function.

Questions:
1) when I connect the RG6 cable to the new HDTV, the quality is worse than before. I thought maybe becauce my HDTV is bigger. But when I connect the 2700 using RCA cables, quality is improved. My DVD connection using component cables looks very good. So it seems my new TV is fine. Is there usually a different quality between RG6 vs RCA cables connection?
2) So because of 1), do we connect the 6131 receiver using RG6 cable or connect using HDMI only. That's another reason I wanna upgrade because I hope that the HDMI connection will improve the SD quality similar to the situation I have as mention in 1)
3) After I buy the new 6131, it is just simply plug and play. Or I need to call Bell to have the receiver registered and activate? If yes, what about activation fees?

Thank you very much for your time. You guys out there are really helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
772 Posts
1. Yes, RCA is better than coax (RG6) but when you get the 6131 you should connect it using just the HDMI. This will give you the best SD and HD. There will be no reason to connect the coax to the TV.

Just fyi, for picture quality HDMI >= component >>> RCA >> coax

2. When you want to activate the new receiver you can either do it online or by phone. There should be no activation fee.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you get signals from 82 then regardless of the Dish size the Picture Quality will be the same, it is Digital, so you get an image or you do not. With the Signal Levels you quoted, you will get a picture, it will NOT improve if the Signals go from 87% to 100%.

Just get a 6131 and hook it up, with HDMI to get the best possible PQ.

Create an account at the Bell Website and when you are ready, you can activate it on-line, easy and simple and quick, with no need to speak to a CSR in most cases.

The only time any additional charges might apply is if you are on a really old programming package, which charged customers for each receiver on the account, changing over to a new package will remove these charges and up to 6 receivers on the account are at no extra cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for such a quick and thorough response. Very helpful. I will wait for a sale, buy it and just hook it up then.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
We try to help as much as we can.....

Glad to assist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts