Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious about this, as I have been using a DB2E for many years indoors with great success. Only drawback was the lack of VHF capability. Purchased a Clearstream 4Max recently and installed it in the exact location as the DB2E. The results were disappointing to say the least. VHF was great, but the UHF reception was terrible, struggling to get 10 channels, where the DB2E would receive 30. Wondering if its worth to try different places to mount before packing it up and returning it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Was curious about this, as I have been using a DB2E for many years indoors with great success. Only drawback was the lack of VHF capability. Purchased a Clearstream 4Max recently and installed it in the exact location as the DB2E. The results were disappointing to say the least. VHF was great, but the UHF reception was terrible, struggling to get 10 channels, where the DB2E would receive 30. Wondering if its worth to try different places to mount before packing it up and returning it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
The CS 4MAX has a much narrower beamwidth than the DB2E. Add the VHF kit to the DB2E.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Simple VHF kits can have a negative effect on overall reception and are not very good at receiving VHF. A better idea would be to purchase a separate VHF antenna such as the CS5 and use a UVSJ to combine them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I tried various placements in the same room over the weekend and results were disappointing. I finally mounted the DB2E back in its original position and used a Clearstream 2Max with a switch between them to obtain the VHF station I wanted. Funny thing was I was testing the 4Max in another room and the results were quite good, even without an amp. Unfortunately it cant be installed in this said room.

·
Registered
322 Posts
"Indoors" is a big problem. You are losing around 30-50% of your signal strength by doing this. For example, I have a bowtie VHF/UHF outdoors and pick up a VHF station with 75-80% (14 Miles away). I have a CM VHF/UHF antenna in my attic - that station isn't even picked up.

Huge difference between Indoor and Outdoor reception. You could put either antenna outdoors at the eave and your problems could be gone.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im aware about the loss of signal strength from having indoor applications. Unfortunately im unable to install my antennas outdoors. I returned the 4Max for a refund, installed a Clearstream C1 Convertible I had lying around on my bedroom wall, and it picked up 39 stations. Goes to show bigger isnt always better for certain applications.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Im aware about the loss of signal strength from having indoor applications. Unfortunately im unable to install my antennas outdoors. I returned the 4Max for a refund, installed a Clearstream C1 Convertible I had lying around on my bedroom wall, and it picked up 39 stations. Goes to show bigger isnt always better for certain applications.
Bigger isn't always better... depends what you are trying to receive. We don't know your location, anything about your dwelling or have a Rabbitears report.

So, when you walk around your place, how many of those channels do you lose? I had 3 antenna setups:

Rabbit ears = 25-30 channels
Attic = 35-42 channels
Outdoors = 59 channels

There is a difference in the amount of channels, signal strength and reliability. If you are trying to get reception indoors, it's trial and error and who knows what's going to happen as you are receiving through building materials, not a clear line of sight.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im 35 miles east of Toronto (south Oshawa), so picking up Toronto stations is not a problem. Buffalo stations are 60-80 miles due south of my location, and I have little issues receiving them, albeit indoors. My original post was intended to see if different antennas require different sweetspots, or is there just 1 sweetspot per location. The 4Max was purchased so i wouldnt have to use 2 antennas (DB2E and 2Max) to receive both Buffalo and Toronto stations, but it didnt work well at all except for VHF. I went back to using both and I am receiving everything I am capable of, according to Rabbit Ears. Just for kicks, I installed the C1 in my bedroom and it worked surprisingly well, for the little space that it took up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.