Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from my outlaws today. They are shaw subscribers with pretty well the basic tv channel coverage--with the non-HD cable box.

They have two tv's, one newer (LCD) and the other a 27" standard tv. They use the shaw box for the older tv and for the LCD one, simply run the cable line directly into it. I noticed that by the channels available on the newer tv are channels which they do not get by using their other tv. The lcd tv will lock into channels up to 50 and there doesn't seem to be anything beyond that. Through that tv, they received channels such as CNN, SPace, OLN that the other tv (with the STB) will not receive. How is this happening?

·
Super Moderator
56,526 Posts
Possibly analogue channels because the cable line doesn't have a filter on it to block the analogue channels.

The digital STB can be programmed to tune in only the channels to which they subscribe. You could test to see if it's analogue by connecting the RF Coax directly to the older TV and doing a channel scan, assuming the older TV can scan to those channels.

So, yes, the digital STB will tune only the channels to which they subscribe, while analogue channels need to be blocked by a filter. Sometimes the provider doesn't bother adding a filter right away, since it costs money for a truck run, hoping that the customer will wish more than basic service.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I never knew the boxes themselves could be filters--I had always assumed it was the line coming into your house. They do only have basic cable. I'll try plugging it in as suggested for the older tv. I'm thinking they might as well remove the box and just use the line directly if it works. The only thing they'll be giving up is the program menu (they don't use VOD or anything anyways).

·
Super Moderator
17,044 Posts
If you unplug the box you'll lose the digital channels listed in this thread as well as Galaxie music and radio stations.

The digital box doesn't really act as a filter. It gets all the channels in digital including the ones that you normally see on analog. The box is programmed from Shaw's head-end to only display the channels you've subscribed to, regardless of any filter on the line.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
They might not lose Galaxie. I get the music channels on my digital TV from straight coax. They are unlocked. All the other digital channels are locked.

·
Registered
725 Posts
They might not lose Galaxie. I get the music channels on my digital TV from straight coax. They are unlocked. All the other digital channels are locked.
Not any more depending on region. In Vancouver here, Shaw recently locked all music channels and I can no longer pick them up on my HDTV's ATSC tuner or my PC's ATSC tuners.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The music channels are QAM, not ATSC. Not all new digital TVs or PC cards include a QAM tuner.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Some buildings are digital only too, so Tiers 1,2,3 are trapped meaning you can not get them without a cable box and if the cable box removed just the basic signal comes through. A lot of these building have the cable box provided rent free or the MDU picks up the price.

Shaw Employee - Views/opinions are my own and not a reflection of my employer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts