Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding my wi-fi set up.

I'm replacing my old Dell PC with a new iMac.

I have a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router ,managed by my Dell PC.

Can I download the D-Link software onto the iMac in order to manage
the router ??
Or should I scrap the D-Link for an Airport Express wi-fi ??

Or if I connect the Wi-fi router via ethernet to the new iMac ,
will the iMac find a driver to manage the router ??

Sorry for all the rookie questions. I'm new to Apple..

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just type the ip address of the router into your web browser on the iMac and that should get you to the config for the router. No need to install software or drivers. The ip should be something like 192.168.x.x.

This assumes your iMac is connected to your network somehow (wired or wireless).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you , Supergenius !

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not to threadjack, but I have had zero issues with DLink routers. Rock solid. I had a DIR 655 at home, no issues. I have a dual band unit at the cabin, no issues.

Apple Airport Extreme, not so much. Drops connections to Telus ADSL all the time (using the Touch modem, not the Siemens router / modem)

Driving me crazy. Apple replaced my first unit under warranty. New unit has same problem. IMO, stay away from Apple Airport Extreme.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry to bring this one up again.

I have some questions.

I was able to connect my iMac and Apple TV to my Wi-Fi . However I had to re-connect my old PC via ethernet to the DIR-655 router,unlock the security to allow the connections,then lock the security again.

What I would like to manage the DIR-665 router using my iMac,and get rid of my PC.

Can anyone give me any directions where to start ?? Do I need to re-set the router to factory specs and go through the Cd-rom set up wizard ?? Can I use the CD-rom on an iMac ??

I'm not an expert on these things . It took me 2 days to originally set up the Wi-Fi.

I'm very happy with the DIR-655. It's worked flawlessly. However I will change to Airport express if I have to.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After more research, I think I found what I need to do..:cool:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All fixed ! Thanks supergenius.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts