Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After you have carefully put together your homemade antenna, how do you connect it to the mast? I've seen several antennas built onto the mast but I haven't seen many where they attach to the side of the mast.

Here is my current connection for a 3/4" PVC pipe to a 1" mast. There is a 3/4" metal self tapping screw holding the T to the PVC (via 300ohm?). I would use one set on the top and the bottom.

Is there a better way or am I on the right track?

David

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
That looks very good. What I did was stick the 3/4" (15/16" OD) antenna PVC into the end of the 1" ID mast and use a self tapping screw to secure it. It also provided an extra 3' of height.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Since the PVC "TEE" is flexible, you won't get that much of a COMPRESSION LOCK where the vertical Mast fits through the "U" Clamp.

A more secure mount will result if you cut some tubing (preferably Metal but could be PVC) and insert it INSIDE the "TEE", passing the "U" Clamp threads through it so that the flexibility of the PVC "TEE" is limited to the length of the inserted tubing. And be sure to use a SECOND, LOCKING NUT (and Locktite) to prevent against vibration wiggling everything apart.

And/or you could drill a hole (BELOW the "TEE") through BOTH the 3/4" Antenna Stub and the 1" Mast and then run a long bolt through both of them. This would prevent the Antenna Stub from sliding down through the "U" Clamp and ALSO prevent it rotating in strong winds. Ideally, the bolt should run through tubing "spacers" within each tube and between the tubes....and be sure to use a second, Locking Nut (and Locktite).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
holl_ands - I'll see what I can find to strengthen the Tee. There are a couple nuts on the other side of the Tee. I plan to use a lot of nuts and lock washers.

I did think about a long bolt thru the mast and antenna stub to prevent rotation.

Thanks,
David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts