Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided against doing a rack style setup in an equipment room, and will just keep my stuff on an entertainment unit under the screen. I have an old stand that was for a 55" rear projection LCD that I could use, but it might look small under a 106" screen, which I think is 92" wide.

Not sure I would need something that would span the entire 92" but something bigger than a standard TV stand. I am handy enough to build something like that, but not creative enough to come up with a design.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for me?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I decided to go with an Ikea shelf. Take a look at the Ikea catalog to get some ideas. You might also get lucky and find something you like.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Last Xmas COSTCO had the below on sale. I did not buy the backing of course but rather bought 2 TV stand units (which are to be used under the HT PJ screen) and 2 towers (which are presently used in the living room left & right of the TV stand). However, I might rethink my options and if rooms allow it, I might used them left & right of the TV stands in the HT. You could consider building some of the sort, using your own specs and size. I would suggest that you built modular rather than full section, IMHO it would look nicer and provide for more creativity options not counting it allows you to reuse in different set-ups formats if you like changes (usually welcomed if you have to consider WAF)

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/PopupViewer.aspx?prodid=10328601&whse=BCCA&lang=en-CA&cat=22389

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice... I see the 3 peice without the backdrop on Costcos website.. What was that on sale for when you bought it?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

Sorry the pics a bit big, but I made this out of 1 sheet of 5/8" MDF. The valence around the bottom is made from 2x3 construction grade lumber. Basic beginner cabinet construction used... dadoes and rabbetts with a router to get a clean fit. Some supports at the back to prevent racking.

Since this picture the unit plus spare shelves have been painted with Behr's Paint/Primer combo, 1 qt will do if u don't spill. I painted it flat black to avoid any reflections. I used hockey pucks to angle the center speaker upwards a tad.

I'll try to clean up the area and take some new pics.

It looks better painted.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My old setup I used the pre finished shelving from home depot they were 18" deep and I think 96" or 92" wide I believe then used ready rod(large 1/2" bolt rods. used large washers and bolts to put it all together.

So I drilled all the shelves at one time EXCEPT THE TOP ONE( I only drilled in just a bit so I had a finished top) front and back at the ends then 1/2 along the back and most of the and front with the exception of the top middle one where my center channel went I made a custom short piece the butt up against the speaker and the top shelf. Then put the rod thru put a washer against the bottom, then a nut. add shelf, then washer and bolt on top to tighten it. Repeat with all the shelves. Nice thing is you can make it any size you like !

I cant find a photo of it just yet

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Nice... I see the 3 peice without the backdrop on Costcos website.. What was that on sale for when you bought it?
I don't recall, but usually COSTCO will offer different rebates on the specific modules you need. IE: 50$ less for the pair of towers, maybe 50$ for the center piece, 100$ for the entire unit as example. I wanted 2 towers for the living room and 2 center pieces for the under HT screen so I bought a full unit withouth backing along with an extra center piece. I am not sure but I think the cot was between 600 - 800$??

I choose to buy rather than built since I wanted units with glass doors (I hate dust on my gear) but for the price paid, you can get much greater quality if you built them your self.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts