Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I cover some events I sometimes find myself unable to get a wi-fi signal, but able to use the phone.

Any way I could set up a 1-800 DID and after calling that with my laptop somehow get routed to my home internet connection?

Googled around a bit but haven't found anything definitive yet.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I assume you're using a cell phone and not VoIP. The problem with using a cell phone is the compression that's used will trash the modem signal. In the past, it was possible to set up some digital phones as a dial up modem, where the phone sent the data to the cell network to be converted into modem tones, before being passed onto the regular phone network. These days, you'd want to use a smart phone with tethering, to get internet access.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, not a cell phone.

At some events, like the Oscars, they'll give you a free phone line, but Wi-Fi access is horrible.

If I could set up a U.S. 1-800 DID and somehow use the modem in my laptop to connect to my home internet (even slowly, I'm just sending text updates of stories) I'd be a pig in ....

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
It is possible to send data over VoIP, provided they don't use compression. However, then you'd be back into using low speed dial up modems, which means you'll need either an ISP account that supports dial up access or to set up your own dial up server. I have set up VoIP PBXs to handle fax calls and also tried calling a dial up ISP. It works fine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

I guess my easiest solution would be to try and find a broadband stick that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for roaming.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
they'll give you a free phone line
Is that a VoIP phone connected over ethernet? If so, it likely has a 2nd ethernet connector into which you can plug a computer. You're a bit short on details, so it's hard to give solid advice.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the lack of detail.

Some of the awards shows will offer each position in the media room a regular PTSN line and handset (Pacific Bell) for free during the broadcasts. Those whose expense accounts can afford an exorbitant fee can order ISDN or DSL lines. Several hundred bucks for a 4 hour event.

In the past I'd unplug the handset and use the phone line with my laptop's modem to call an ISP that had North American access points for $10/month. That ISP subsequently shut down that aspect of their business. 56K speed, but I was just ftping text files, so it was all good.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Finding another dial-up ISP would indeed be your most reliable bet.

Let's see if my fee can top yours. My company had a booth at a trade show here in Vancouver earlier this year. I investigated getting internet access at the booth...and it was an astonishing $975. Of course, that was if I ordered 7 days in advance. If I ordered at the last minute, it was $1550.

Oh, and that only covers one device. They do audits, and if they catch you using more than one device, even if it's via your own router, the fee is $175 per device.

Astonishing!

m.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's see if my fee can top yours.
Don't have the last order sheet here (since I've never used 'em) but the best I can remember it was about $300 for 4 hours.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I guess my easiest solution would be to try and find a broadband stick that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for roaming.
Buy one in the states or off ebay etc

It's just a usb antennae with a SIM card in it... don't pay Cdn roaming by the Kb, get a SIM card for whatever country you're in

·
Registered
129 Posts
One thing you could do is get an isp that provides 1800 North America dial up service. Then you could connect back to your system how ever you would want to, generally I would suggest something like a vpn or something to this affect.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Perhaps I don't understand but if you had Telus service here is the US roaming info.....
U.S.A. (Roaming charges apply) 1-800-276-2646 $2.00/hour

Dialup which is all you say you need for next to nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts